General Dance Discussion > Wow, what an insult to dance

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Backstreet, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Backstreet

Backstreet New Member

I found this the other day. Who the heck came up with this list?

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

As if the whole idea isn't insanely subjective to begin with.

3. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

It's a BET put together list, so it's going to be hiphop/R&B artists. Like when Vh1 puts together a list of whatever, I'm not going to expect a lot of country stars on it.

4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Ignorance is bliss----- etc

5. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

I see a few people on that list that I'd definitely consider great dancers. And yeah, you have to keep in mind the source of the list.

6. noobster

noobster Member

Zoicks, not all dance is partner dance. James Brown and Michael Jackson *are* great dancers. I'm not a huge fan of MJ's music but to me he's way more impressive to watch than, e.g., any ballroom dance video I've found so far.

And even if you aren't a hip-hop/R&B fan, I'm surprised you don't consider Savion Glover, Alvin Ailey, and Gregory Hines great dancers????

7. tangotime

That is not what was implied in the " statement "-- the BEST ? dancers--- :confused:

Number one -- it is very subjective , and number 2--if you are going to make a list, then name the included, as a specific genre , otherwise, its like comparing Tiger Woods , and all golfers to Billie Jean King , and or M. Ali .

p.s. I doubt you are old enought to remember the Nicholas bros.--they were primarily tap and " show " dancers who would out dance most any on that list-- soo-- if you include them-- why not F. A., Gene Kelly etc ? --and the greatest of them all ? in that genre-- I think his name was John Bubbles ?--- not my opinion, but designated by most of the people on that list .

8. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

They were OK, in a completely-untrained-shake-your-leg kind of way; certainly not "great". Almost any professional dancer would be better than any of them, simply because professionals have been trained.

It's almost certain that any good moves these people "created" were carefully-choreographed by professional dancers, in the same way that most of their songs were carefully created by professional songwriters.

They're performers, not artists, in other words.

For example, the videos of Janet Jackson (who is on the list) were choreographed by Paula Abdul (who isn't).

Although I had to laugh at the Temptations being no. 10 on the list :rolleyes:

9. Sabor

Sabor New Member

they dont have my name up there??.. the nerve

10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: They didn't want the other dancers to hangup their dance shoes... ;)

11. noobster

noobster Member

Well, as noted by tangotime, this is totally subjective and not really worth arguing about. (But it's interesting to note that he chose to cite the Nicholas brothers, who had no formal dance training, as people who should have been on the list.)

Anyways, I'd definitely rather watch Michael Jackson (whom I wouldn't count as untrained since he has made dozens of highly choreographed, heavily rehearsed music videos with enormous production teams) than pretty much anyone dancing, e.g., a waltz (a dance that has never particularly interested me) - regardless of training or level of achievement. It's just a stylistic preference. I'm sure there are many others out there who feel the same.

Well since the list is about their dancing and not their choreography, I fail to see how that is important. All of Anna Pavlova's dancing was choreographed as well (as are the routines of most competitive partner dancers today).

(But you think James Brown's stuff was choreographed? Wasn't he sort of before the era of hard-sell superstar packaging? You can hardly accuse him *both* of being untrained *and* of being too choreographed!!)

12. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

That never stops people :)

Actually, I agree that MJ is a good dancer, of course he is. But that doesn't mean he's not a good dancer - he is, mainly because he spent many years practicing and training.

But most professional dancers are similarly dedicated, and spend as much or more time practicing and working. They're just not famous.

Yes - in that some people like wine, some like beer, some like spirits. But most people would agree that appreciating all of these liquors is an acquired taste, in fact it's a skill in itself.

And in terms of appreciating something like partner dancing, it takes a long time to wean yourself off being impressed by flashy visuals, and to look for the subtleties like connection and musicality.

Obviously, we all have preferences in dance forms, but it's not relevant to say - for example - that one dance form is "better" than another.

Yes - but they choreograph the moves themselves. Most pop performers don't have a clue how to dance properly, they just rehearse specific moves like crazy as they're told, with no input into the creative process. That's not being a good dancer, that's just being good at following orders.

For example, the UK boyband "Take That" did a tour last year which included a Tango number, and used one of my Tango teachers (the lovely Ms Tomassi) for that. They knew nothing about how to partner dance, it was all about following the choreography that she devised.

No - James Brown, like Michael Jackson, is an exception; a naturally gifted dancer. Hey, in a list of 25, they had to get a couple of dancers.

That still leaves over 20 entries which are laughable - Beyonce? The Supremes?

13. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Mr Wiggles, in internet etiquette, it is rude to use capitals unless it is for emphasis - it is the equivalent to shouting. Therefore, next time, please remember to use sentence/title capitals only, unless you really want to emphasise something, in which case bold is also effective.

14. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Eh. It's just a list. Insanely subjective, as Chris said, and obviously it's targeting only a few dance styles. I wouldn't fuss over it.

T_E

15. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Well... I guess it's just the arrogance of the all-inclusive "Best. Dancers. Ever" type of title that bugs me.

If it had said something like a more accurate "The top 25 urban pop music performers in the USA who can dance, over the past 25 years or so", then it wouldn't be so annoying. (You can tell I don't work in marketing can't you?)

But "Top 25 Dancers Of All Time" is, as the thread says, insulting to everyone outside that small range.

EDIT: Woo! I'm a Tradesman! :)

16. tangotime

A q that needs to be asked -- Who decided the order and inclusion ?-- any one want to take bets it was a non dancer ?

17. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I can't see anything about "voting", so I imagine it was completely made-up, based on commercial considerations, and on what order made good TV.

Like the "Top 10 booklist" in bookstores, which are usually based entirely on which books the stores want to market at any given time.

18. jennikins

jennikins Member

I want to know how the heck Beyonce beat Usher and Jlo. becouse Usher is just as good as Janet Jackson, and I've never noticed any special dance ability in Beyonce.

19. Sabor

Sabor New Member

cant beleive it.. they still haven't adjusted the list for my inclusion.. i'm flabbergasted.. prozac, here i cometh

20. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

I would bet the creator of the list is in their 20's or 30's and that list is their interpretation of "All Time" (all the time they've been alive LOL)