Dancers Anonymous > wow.

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Peaches, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

2. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

That was great. I loved watching the judges' faces as they realized he could sing!

3. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

I just listened to that earlier this evening...one of my favorite arias and that guy sang it beautifully!

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

All I can say is, true as it must be, its hard to believe. How can someone be able to sing like that nowadays without anyone noticing? What does that say for his family, his school, his teachers etc - surely he sang in church or somewhere else previously? What a thrill.

5. Peaches

Ya know, I always wonder what talent is out there that hasn't been discovered.

My mother used to be a piano teacher, and she used to go around to pre-schools and teach (mostly) low-income 3- and 4-year-olds. For a lot of them, it was probably the only music instruction they'd have. That started me wondering...is ther next Bach or Beethoven or whoever out there, but we'll never know because the child is too poor and has no way of developing that gift?

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Perhaps it was the English teeth? ;)

Seriously, though, that was really impressive. It will be interesting to see what he can do with something out of his operatic comfort zone, though.

7. Peaches

I think it'd be more interesting to see what he can do with some good voice training... The raw talent is amazing, but imagine that with training behind it...

8. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:? Sorry Peaches. I am going to have to 'smack your wrist'! The title of this thread should have been "Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :lol:

Thanks for discovering this. I got goosebumps, tears came to my eyes, I was grinning, seeing Simon Cowell with his mouth open and speechless at the same time! Priceless! :lol:

Acutally, although the title of the link said "English man", not sure if he is English. I heard the announcer say that he was from Wales. Unless, he moved there.

Re the "just imagine what he could do" with proper training. Hmmmm. I am in two minds about this. I have heard stories (or was it watching to many fiction shows!) whereby someone with 'raw talent' gets 'proper training' and they loss their talent/the talent diminishes because the 'teacher' will tell them, no, you are not breathing properly, no, you have to stand like this, no, you have to hold your shoulders like this and so many rules come into play that the raw talent spends more time trying to comply with 'the rules' rather than on their gift.

It was also very impressive I thought, his italian pronounciation. I too love Nessun Dorma. Years ago, Pirelli tires had an advert with an extract with Luciano Pavarotti singing it (pre Three Tenors era) and the earth would spin in reverse. I loved that advert!

9. Peaches

Sounds a bit like dancing, no? The technique should, ideally, further one's gift, not restrict it. Sure, it might feel restrictive, and it's possible to lose touch with the love that was originally there, but adding training won't erase a natural gift.

10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Yep, looks like he is Welsh and according to this article, he had a masterclass with Pavarotti!

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You might be right, Pacion. I think the announcer said something about Cardiff.

12. Peaches

I like watching people's reactions. Especially the judges'--the female judge in particular.

But the other thing to watch is the guy. You can see him, after he finishes, just kind of retreat again, and you can see the shyness taking over again. It's fascinating.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

weird... my post disappeared.

anyway... the clip brought tears to my eyes. so moving. loved it on a number of levels.

14. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Oh wow. Now, if only I could find my true talent (who knows? I might be a natural at underwater basket weaving!).

T_E

15. jfm

jfm Active Member

i thought the transgendered/drag ***** cat dolls tribute act were pretty good too. dare i say better than the real thing?

16. Peaches

yeah. I've watched it tons of times now, and every time I get shivers, goose bumps, and a lump in my throat.

17. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Update: Paul won the overall competition and will be part of a concert called "The Royal Variety Show". (It is taking place this week I think.) It is an annual show with lots of various performances - dance, singing, comic etc. The Queen is guest of honour and she usually goes backstage to meet the performers.

Seems that Paul has had a number of singing lessons, so he isn't completely raw talent. However, he also had a number of personal health setbacks (including a motorcycle accident) which he has had to fight back to full health from.

He beat a six year old girl who developed her singing voice singing to her grandmother, over a period of time, who was dying.

The 'romantic' in me, in you could call it romantic, would have been to see both Paul and the young girl performing at the show. :banana: I haven't heard her voice, but I gather she is very good.

18. pr

pr New Member

:D :D :D :D I love it! I have that song on a CD. It is a very beautiful song and that was veeeeery well sung. It even brought tears to my eyes... Very unexpected...

Thanks for posting! : D

19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

then I'm not the only one this happens to? Does anyone else have posts that are sent but never appear - the last time it happened I was sending a birthday greeting to Samina. ohhhh. Maybe its just Samina-related posts that dissappear. du-du-duuu-du. ::spooky::

20. noobster

noobster Member

I'm sure they do know. Why wouldn't they?

One needs a lot more than talent to succeed as a professional opera singer (or in any other artistic endeavor, really). There's got to be the drive to develop the talent to its fullest, the willingness to sacrifice other aspects of life to it, and the aggression to make people notice.

I'd guess that maybe 5-10% of the people who have the voice to be professional opera singers actually end up being so.

Regarding this guy. He has a nice voice. I am going to be the crabby naysayer and say it does not seem strong, complex, or precise enough for a pro. Maybe it's a matter of training, maybe not. I can't sing a note myself so I don't pretend to know. :p

(I do have two college friends - well, one friend and one acquaintance - who are doing rather well as opera singers. They have put quite a lot into it though, and one of them hasn't quit her day job. I also know an older woman with a lovely voice who finally gave up the struggle and became a librarian.)