General Dance Discussion > Wrap skirt ok to wear for practice?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by little_mouse, Sep 2, 2006.

1. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Well - my first impulsive buy for dancing. I just bought a capezio long wrap skirt, it's black and is just above the knees in the front. I also got some of those dance trunks (they look like a bottom half leotard) in black.

Many women wear pants for lessons (too hot to me to wear) and many wear "normal" skirts as well as some who wear a bit more latin-y skirts.

You can just barely see the line from the leotard showing through the skirt. Do you think this is appropriate wear to dance lessons? I would probably wear a lightweight top with (almost) no sleeves.

2. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think it should be fine. I usually wear latiny skirts in warm weather and pants in cold weather. My "normal" skirts cut off movement, so I no longer wear them for dancing.

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hey little_mouse! If you're doing latin, you may find that your skirts keep getting shorter and shorter as you get deeper and deeper into it! *grin*

Actually I normally wear a skirt for latin because pants, especially black ones, can mask the fact that your legs are not quite doing the correct technique (i.e. you think you're getting your knees together in cha, but the pants are actually "filling" the space between your knees!).

The skirts tend to get shorter and shorter so you can see your knees and the entire leg line you are creating (hopefully correctly). If you get into competitions, this will get more important.

I always make sure to wear a leotard or dance pants with any skirt that can fly up (I prefer the same color as the skirt). I've seen many a floral print when latin ladies have forgotten and are practicing their turns!

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

certainly there is nothing inappropriate about a wrap skirt, but I have to say that I don't cer for them b/c A) they tend to open up when I would prefer that they don't and if I pin them to prevent that I find that the gentleman has and even more difficultime gettin his leg in between mine...ie standard here

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Whatever you wear is just fine as long as you come with the right attitude. ;-)

6. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Thanks everyone, I'm going to wear it. I probably won't notice any wierd looks because I'll be having so much fun dancing anyway!! :D

7. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

We can wear anything. Sometimes I wear jeans even if I just don't feel like dressing up in a skirt. But it depends on your studio too, and if they have a dress code policy. Ours doesn't, but I have heard of some that do.

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Some women at our studio come to lessons in pants or shorts, but also bring some kind of wraparound skirt that they can put on or take off easily. They put it on if, say, they want to see how their Cuban motion is doing. Or, if they are practicing smooth, they might bring a long one to practice skirt tricks.

9. Sabor

Sabor New Member

hot shorts..

10. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

And the most compelling reason NOT to wear a rap skirt. Comments like this...

11. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

I see your point.

12. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I meant to say WRAP skirt. Oops for the typo.

13. Sabor

Sabor New Member

t'was a joke.. guess u had to be there