Dance Articles > Writing Dance Journals

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Raju Karki, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Raju Karki

Raju Karki New Member

I have a blog where I post my dance journals experienced in my college at "University Of wisconsin-stevens point". I was wondering if i can take it to the next level and ask other dancers to share whatever journals they have regarding their dance experience with me. Letting the world know what it takes to be a dancer, What its like to dance and even the smallest details about our dance lives. Is this a good idea? How can i do better on this task and involve more people? suggestions appreciated.
    Waiting for your feedbacks

redirect to website removed by moderator
    please read the guidelines regarding trying to circumvent the spam filter.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
  2. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Two thoughts:

(1) I prefer to spend what precious and valuable spare time I have actually dancing, not writing dance journals.

(2) Having said that, when I do read and write about dance, 95% of it is on this forum. This is where I have learned and shared the type of things you have mentioned.

SwayWithMe and Loki like this.
  3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

At most, I keep a log of lesson dates and content, comps and expenses.

IndyLady likes this.
  4. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Ditto, I have always tracked lessons (thankfully, given how many recordkeeeping snafus have occurred, including a serious one this past week) and expenditures.

5. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

Nah; you need details.

Sample entry:
    "Step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, lose beat, look confused, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step, step, step, side step.

First five minutes of beginner foxtrot lesson has gone well."

6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

My notes from beginner days make about as much sense as yours...

stash likes this.
  7. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Recent coach: I think it would help you a lot to keep more notes from your lessons--written in your own words so that you can understand it.

Reality:
    I write something down, practice it to be sure I understand it. Next lesson, "What does xyz mean again??????"

stash and Loki like this.
  8. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I actually sit down with my pro for 10-15 minutes after the lesson and we write pretty detailed notes. Then I go home and write my blog entry about it that day or the next. I also usually read the notes on the way home. I actually don't forget what the stuff means. Not sure why that is. I'm more apt to forget what foot starts the next figure than anything.

9. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Ha!! I knew I had forgotten part of step and just looked up what I had written and for once I could understand it!

SwayWithMe and stash like this.