Dancers Anonymous > Writing letters

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Jan 16, 2005.

?

I write letters

1. all the time

100.0%
  2. often

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. sometimes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. but never get round to posting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ... only via email!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Do you still write letters to loved ones, which is probably more difficult in this email age?

I was reading today about a British explorer (North Pole, Himalayas type of thing) whose wife of 24 (?) years, died last year. In their time together, she wrote him 8,000 letters :shock: which he said that he had kept. All I could think of was... wow!

Email is great, there is no denying that - instantaneous and no getting lost in the post/thrown away by the postman. However, I wonder how much "family history" is being lost to future generations as emails get deleted either accidentally or automatically by service providers?

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Opps. :oops: I need to find, print and mail a letter I wrote a while back for an aunt who does not use email... :car:

3. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol:

4. squirrel

squirrel New Member

No, I don't! :) Emails are fine for me... so is phoning people!

5. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

There is a great book of letters put together by the current Librarian of Congress. I've heard the guy speak regarding how emails might not be really classified as letters, but this is definitely how I write my letters now. I actually save hard copies of emails I consider to be letters or of worthy enough notes to keep. I checked often, but honestly most of my letters go email these days. To me there are the general types of quick emails used for regular communication, usually for organizational purposes, and then there are the other notes and longer letters that I write instead to express myself more creatively.

That reminds me ... I need to find time to complete my email letters to MacMoto and Dancin_feet that I promised back before Xmas. :oops:

6. etchuck

etchuck New Member

I still have shoe boxes full of letters I have received as a teenager. Not that they were all "love letters" or stuff, but they do still carry a lot of senitmental value that my parents would have easily thrown out with the trash.

I do miss communication by mail though. Not that I don't mind IM's and emails, but no one has sent me a lightly-perfumed email yet. ;)

7. Bob

Bob New Member

nope, nut uhh, not a chance! email, or phone.. no paper!

When my daughters teacher said her penmanship was horrible, I asked how her typing was comming along. The teacher gave me "the look" which got him one in return.

My daughter thought she was in trouble, since the teacher and I were glaring back and forth at each other haha!

:p

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You're a great Dad, Bob. Hilarious.

I think letter writing is a great, and dying art. I wonder what future presidents of the US will have catalogued in their libraries. Framed emails? :shock: It's just not the same.

I have to admit, I used to write much more often than I do now. Sunday afternoon used to be my keeping in touch time, and I'd sit down and hand-write notes and letters to friends and family. From what the said, it meant a lot more than a phone call.

I think I'll start doing that again, since one of my lifestyle change goals for 2005 is to recenter my life, with friends and family becoming more important.

Maybe it's time. 8)

9. DancePoet

I believe I remembered the name of the book! It is called, "Letters of a Nation". Now if I dig it out, I'll be able to find the author's name.

And speaking of him, I actually recall talking with him on a local PBS radio station one time, quite a ways back now, like when the book came out or something, and he had made a statement about emails not really being letters or something like that. I called to let him know that they most certainly could be, and that I used email for writing letters all the time. We also talked about how much potential correspondence is likely being destroyed because of emails not typically being printed for a record of the correspondence. Which is a real bummer in my view.

10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Got to get better at this...got to get better at this...got to get better at this...

11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I write letters when thank you notes are required. An e-mail just isn't the same thing. If my friend/acquaintance has gone out of his or her way to invite me to a special event, for instance, I can most certainly spare a few minutes of my day to write them a nice thank you note and go to the post office and mail it.

12. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

I see the handwriting of college students. I can't even read their names and it is too bad when the only way I can give credit for, say, a quiz grade is by process of elimination. So I sympathize with teachers who think penmanship is still somewhat important!

13. DancePoet

You haven't had me write you a thank you note via email. I haven't had a woman yet be dissappointed by one of mine. ;)

And I had one woman recently thank me for my thoughtful email and tell me, "My you have a wonderful way with words!"

14. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I'm too young to have been around at the time when letters were at their best. I never had anyone to write at, either; all my friends were and are from school, so no point in that. I have no reason to write, really, which is a shame because I really love writing letters. It's really my kind of thing. The only letter I've ever written was to a friend from msn, and it made me write beautifully.
    Gawd, I need a serious pen pal...

Twilight Elena

15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Letters STILL should be written! I seriously believe most people appreciate a nice, handwritten note! Especially during the holidays, for example. There's nothing worse than getting those e-cards. Takes the holiday spirit and warmth out of the greeting. (I like getting them for other occasions like birthdays, though!)

16. DancePoet

Yes, there is something very treasureable about real cards coming throught the mail ... so I suppose I could see how someone might feel about real letters, too. 8)

Yet don't discount the letters possible via email. I spend time and creative energy with the letters I send over the internet, and it comes out in the final results including the expressions of joy received in return. :D

17. Medira

Medira New Member

I write all the time. I try to write at least one letter a week and mail it off to somebody. I have a list of friends whom I write and send trinkets to. I even go so far as to seek out and visit stores that sell handmade paper and other neat things to make the letters more special. It gives me such a warm fuzzy feeling to receive something in the mail other than bills all the time.