Dancers Anonymous > Wut's the deal wth spelng?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Jul 4, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Okay. So I'm baffled (and a little perturbed, honestly.) What's up with instant messaging spelling? I just don't get it. It may be short hand, but I spend WAY more time figuring out wut ppl r sayng. Is there some standard way of doing it? Ther prolly is, rite? So where is it and what is it? EM's want to know. :wink: :lol:

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

No idea, either. :? While I cannot write it I usually don't have problem reading it. :)

3. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Too funny....I think for IMs, it's a matter of speed and getting your thoughts out as quickly as possible. And since most people don't type quite as fast as my sister-in-law (100wpm :shock: , I'm a computer geek and don't type that fast), it's much easier to use abbreviations. :)

4. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I remember when mobile/cell phones first came out, they were so large, they were basically in a separate briefcase, a bit like the way most laptops are, except these cases were bigger. The phones were bigger then too.

Now, cellphones are so small, you/I easily 'lose' them in our handbags. The size of the keypad therefore means that it takes me forever to type 'I will see you later before you go' versus 'c u later b4 u go' :lol:

5. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

I have issues with abbreviating :lol: I occasionally use "thru" istead of through, but thats just about it.

6. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I'd have to say the spelling/abbreviating of the IM or SMS/text language doesn't bother me as much as the lack of correct (in some cases the total lack of :roll: ) use of puntuation......!

I'm starting to be able to tell people's age/generation by merely reading their posts/IMs/SMS........

:roll: ....not sure it's a good thing..........

7. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I also prefer the normal spelling... I even use it in my SMSs... and I find it easier to use, 'cause I like correct grammar and punctuation and spelling :)

8. pygmalion

Me too.

You will not believe this, but, coincidentally, there is an article about this issue in today's issue of my local newspaper. Apparently, students have adopted IM abbreviations completely. They're even using the abbrveviations in conversations with friends (e.g. saying "TTFN" instead of "ta ta for now" or "goodbye." ) They're also turning in school written assignments with the abbreviations included. :shock: That's taking things a bit far, I think.

9. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Love you! :cheers:

10. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

I can understand it in playful computer use or "notes in passing" but if I were a teacher in that school, there would be quite a few failing grades. :?

11. pygmalion

Amen to that, peach. F's all around! :twisted: :lol:

12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Heck yeah! And, fortunately, I'm in a position to do it too! :twisted:

13. pygmalion

Yes!! Victory to the establishment!! :twisted: :lol:

14. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I can't stand people abbreviating things in normal speech or letterwriting. SMS you can understand because it takes so long to type in what you want to say, but it definitely shouldn't replace appropriate spelling and grammar in everyday life.

I abbreviate some things but mostly I'll still SMS using appropriate spelling and punctuation.

15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I agree d_f, for instant messaging I can understand the efficaciousness of abbreviating, but for all other purposes, it is just annoying. I don’t know if it is just laziness, youngsters thinking it makes them sound “cool” (NOT!), or just utter lack of attention, but mest up spelng is quyte bothersum!

NOTE: I am NOT talking about people, such as some of my students, for whom English is not a native language and who are trying their very best. And, along these same lines, I hope that every non-native English speaker who visits these forums knows that we welcome and appreciate your input no matter what. This thread, to the best of my knowledge, is about native English speakers and NOT those for whom English is a second or third (or more!) language!

16. etchuck

etchuck New Member

language

While I'll be one to completely agree that proper spelling and grammar are appropriate, the younger people in the world (in general) are definitely more anti-establishment and anti-conformist. It amazes me how some people deliberately try to sound like a rapper (for lack of a better term). Granted, it sounds funny coming from those of us who do not fit the demographic when we say that, but still.

Even swing dancers seem to have their own different terminology and grammar on occasion. You hep? I'm jivin'. Dance with the debol. Whazzupwiththat BOOOYIIEEE??

17. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. pygmalion

Yup, squirrel. Somehow I can't envision etchuck saying BOOYYYIIEEE, regardless of the circumstances. :lol: 8)

19. pygmalion

Re: language

The irony is that, if there are any teenagers reading, I bet they didn't catch the reference to "the establishment" a la 60's era social rebellion. The same people who are wondering why kids today can't spell were at Woodstock themselves. How long ago was that? Thirty-something years. (I'll have to ask my older sisters. They'd know.)

Rebellion is part of being a teenager. If this generation's rebellion is limited to some spelling errors, that makes it pretty tame, by comparison, not that I approve, mind you. :wink: There's no point in rebelling if there's no disapproval. :lol:

20. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Not jive talkin... I be jellin, you jellin?

(For those who are into sports, I certainly enjoy the "street-talk" they employ for entertainment purposes on Pardon the Interruption... but I digress.)

Woodstock was 1968 IIRC, which makes it 35 this summer.

I guess it means the same thing to have "shock value" as opposed to not conforming to rules.

Oh brother... you don't know how I interact with some of my non-dancing friends (in the other activity that I enjoy doing).

In discussing awkwardness of a potential relationship:
    Friend: "I don't know... it's awkward... it's like "yeah."
    Me: Oh yeah?
    Friend: Yeah, bad yeah.
    Me: Yeah?
    Friend: Yeah.
    [Continue for another minute.]

In realizing a friend did something really stupid:
    Friend: Oh geez, and do you think we can smoke in the van?
    Me: Do you think?
    Friend: You think?
    Me: Yeah?
    Friend: No, no yeah.
    [Continue for another minute.]

Okay... enough of that. It's like those Dr. Scholl's insert commercials where people are saying "Are you jellin?" except you substitute a reggae sounding "You be jellin'?"