Dancers Anonymous > X-mas dinner help

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Peaches, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Any suggestions out there for EASY vegetable side dishes that can be cooked in the oven? Not potatoes, though.

So far, the menu is mahogany chicken and baked mac & cheese. I can't really do anything on the stovetop b/c the huge pans I need for the chicken. I don't do complicated.

The only thing I can come up with is roasted asparagus, but no one likes it except me. Actually, most everyone hates it, so that's right out.

Any ideas?

2. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I love corn with chicken, and you can microwave it :) Or glazed carrots (or are you off carrots now? I seem to recall an icky carrots post a while back).

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oh, peaches, ya GOTTA make one of those amazing green bean casseroles made with canned cream of mushroom soup & topped with durkee fried onions.

the recipe's probly all over the internet... it is the KING of oven-baked veggie casserole dishes, for sure! and would go so well with your menu

here, i found a few recipe options for you: http://southernfood.about.com/od/sidedishcasseroles/r/bl81114g.htm
    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/1542/Best-Ever-Green-Bean-Casserole86445.shtml
    http://homecooking.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/r/blv305.htm

i'd be inclined to use baby organic green beans, not just because they're better for you than canned but because they are so *sweet*. but dunno how they'd effect the recipe...

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Steam some veggies. I steam green beans and use as a substitute for asparagus. Those who don't favor asparagus favor it.

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

nah, she said it has to be done in the oven. but i guess she could do that in the oven... why not? way healthier, of course... but w/ mac-n-cheez on the menu, i don't think that's peaches' objective...

6. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Yes, that would be my choice too!

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am doing quiche florentine (aka, spinach)

8. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

A lot of vegetables are wonderful when roasted!
    Like squash, all kinds, butternut (umm); a mixture, like ratatouille; carrots, etc.

9. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yah, my first thought was roasted beets... omg. so sweet & tender. sliced thin with a little dressing drizzled over...

easier than the casserole, that's for sure!

(and i love getting the red all over my fingers... looks like blood)

11. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

epicurious.com is a great resource. Using the advanced search function and checking "roast" for preparation method and "vegetables" for ingredients turned up over 200 recipes! (You can narrow it further by using keyword for the type of vegetable.)

12. Peaches

Thanks for the ideas. I'd completely forgotten about string bean casserole, aka, "bean gook."

Right now I'm debating between that, and stuffed, roasted tomatoes. (Which I really should have thought of sooner, seeing as how it's one of the recipes I recently typed up for my girl friend.)

...and maybe some asparagus, too, just b/c I like it...screw 'em...

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If you don't mind broccoli, you can steam some chunked broccoli (steamer, nukebox or steam bath in the oven) til it's just shy of cooked, then sautee it for a minute or two on the stovetop in some olive oil and garlic. Hopefully you can spare a minute or two on the stovetop.

14. Peaches

Oooh, that sounds yummy.

So...proportions, please? Do you saute the garlic for a bit first in the oil by itself, and then add the broccoli? Or do you add it together? Do the broccoli top parts get all soaked with oil?

15. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Pumpkin with Goat Cheese
    Boil/steam the pumpkin. Mash it. Fry some onions and garlic. Mix all together and put in oven. Cover with layers (slices) of goat cheese. Some salt and pepper. Have also used sweet potato instead of pumpkin which can be a substitute.

Artichokes with cherry tomatoes
    Put olive oil, garlic, artichokes (cut into pieces), cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, salt and pepper in oven. Great taste, very easy side dish.

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You only sautee the garlic solo for a few seconds--you don't want it to get too dark, or burnt--just enough to let some garlic flavor dissolve into the oil. Then toss in the broccoli for a minute so it picks up the oil and garlic. You don't really want too much oil, just enough so that the broccoli gets a light coat. Covering the bottom of the pan would be too much oil.

Proportions? Depends how much garlic you like with your broccoli. :)

17. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Remembered another good one.
    You can use potatoes or a mix of potatoes and sweet potatos.
    Put some butter, oil and garlic, slat and pepper and leek. Fry a bit, then put the potatoes. And a mixture of milk and cream, and/or sour cream. Put in oven and cook over low heat.

18. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Lots of garlic :) .

19. Peaches

Blech!

A bit is good, but too much? Eeeew.

20. Peaches

The artichokes thing sounds interesting, and kinda like something I could do. But I don't know squat about artichokes (other than I like them with spinach and cheese for dipping chips into). Do you use fresh ones, or do they come frozen or in jars/cans? Isn't there something odd about the way you prepare them or something, if you're using not-jarred ones?

And about the pumpkin, which I'd also like to try, but not for xmas... I assume you peel and whatnot the pumpkin so you just have the "walls" of it in chunks or something?

(Oddly enough, my dad was actually a chef. And still I know nothing about cooking.)