Dancers Anonymous > Xmas is coming ... !!!

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DancePoet, Nov 25, 2006.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

The geese are getting fat ...

Hmmm, goose for Xmas dinner, I wonder if there is a way to make such happen this year.

I wasn't in the Xmas spirit until this afternoon when walking through a grocery store they were playing a bunch of oldies. The one's sung by folks before the modern times. Lovely stuff.

Didn't go out with all those other shoppers yesterday nor today, but I'll be out and about eventually. I won't be doing it in a panic either. Slow and deliberate.

Already picked up a couple over the last few months as things made themselves obvious for certain people. :cool:

Merry Xmas! :bouncy:

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

fyi...did you know that X stands for chi, and is not therefore, for those who observe it as religious, a disrespectful way to reference christmas?...in fact many theologians do likewise...no to get religious, plz let's not...just thought I would share

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I decorated up my tree on Thanksgiving day and listened to some of my favorite Christmas music, too. (Luther, the Temptations, Bing Crosby and Burl Ives) AND I went out and waited in line with the nutso, day-after-Thanksgiving shoppers, yesterday. I'm ready for the holidays. Or, at least, I will be, when I finish shopping. :oops: :lol:

4. fascination

hmmm...I'd say we are about half way done here...never have shopped the day after thanksgiving...but I do alot in bookstores in the Fall, and then via catalogues

5. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

This is, I think, the first year I haven't done all/almost all my shopping on friday. Haven't done any, which is probably a mistake given my schedule for the next two weeks... Oops...

6. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Cleverly, I have no personal life. Which means I only have to get a present to my 2 best friends and maybe something really small for the rest of them.
    No shopping for me, fellas! :D

T_E

7. pygmalion

Don't worry about shopping. But give your Mom something. Something sentimental ... magazine or newspaper clippings in a dime-store frame would be fine. Just give her something, T_E. Something that says thank you. Moms need and deserve it. I know mine does. I suspect yours does too. :cool:

8. fascination

IMO, the best two gifts in the whole wide world, besides hugs, are 1) letters that say what you really treasure about a person...(my mom did that one year and you cannot imagine how dear those are now...but I have always felt that way regardless, in all relationships)...and 2) just the gift of time...there are a few people that one half an hour over a cup of hot cocoa would mean everything to me

9. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

My mom usually buys me clothes and such for christmas and my birthday. She cant believe how easy it is this year....shoes and lessons are much easier to get than clothes! lol!

P.S. I've yet to do my shopping :(

10. Laura

Laura New Member

My dad did a goose a few years ago. It was a lot of work but truly delicious.

11. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

I actually saw duck in a local supermarket just before Thanksgiving, so maybe this will be something to do for Xmas if I can't find goose. :D

12. pygmalion

Did you hear that NPR story early last week? Apparently, turducken is nothing new. It was invented centuries ago, and Paul Prudhomme just recently resurrected the idea.

Uhh. From my perspective? One bird at a time is plenty. lol! Maybe a duck, this Christmas. 'Cause I sure as heck have had enough turkey this year to last me a while. :lol: (And I have no earthly idea of what to do with a goose. That's strictly Dickens, in my book. :wink :lol: )

13. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

You know the world is screwy when you go shopping and the cashier is bright and cheery and friendly, and even wishes you a "wonderful day" as you leave, and you think there's something WRONG with that person. Why is it that pleasant transactions are the exception rather than the rule? (and I have worked the cash register before, so I know what a crap job it can be).

Ponders....

14. fascination

sad huh 123...good that you noticed it though

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Consider yourself very very lucky.

16. Peaches

Oh, god. Chirstmas. Christmas shopping.

Haven't started. Haven't even started thinking about what to get/make for people. Weather is too warm--it's just unnatural to be thinking about Christmas.

Am so not in the holiday spirit. Never am, anymore. I'm ready for Christmas to be over and it hasn't even started, really. Actually, I was ready for it to be over about a month ago.

Used to love Christmas, was my favorite holiday. Not anymore. Now I can't stand it. Makes me sad...

17. fascination

:( so sorry to hear that peaches, I have wrestled with those feelings as well, but my christmas spirit always wins in the end

18. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

With you. It's the over-commercialization of it that gets me. But, I suppose if I lived near the bulk of my family, I'd enjoy it a whole lot more. Before we had kids, we'd drive down to stay w/family...but now I want my kids celebrating in our own house. It's just really quiet once all the unwrapping ends :shock:.

I did start, net-shopping, on Friday. I can't deal with going to malls and stores. I can't stand the crowds. BA HUMBUG!

19. Peaches

The commercialization is annoying and sad, but that's not my issue. I can actually even deal with malls and crowds and whatnot.

DH is my problem. I don't think I've had a good Christmas since we've been married.

20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I have Chistmas alone, and surprisingly I enjoy it.

my approach is to do everything mindfully, cook a nice meal, go for a walk and avoid all the pitfalls that come of sharing the day with relatives.

On boxing Day I go and see my folks.