Dancers Anonymous > Xmas is coming ... !!!

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DancePoet, Nov 25, 2006.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... maybe I'll get up in the middle of the night on Xmas Eve and hang up mistletoe all over the place. :D

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yeah, and make sure you deck things out pretty good by new year's eve, y'know?

he-he-he

3. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

:uplaugh:

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

leaving tomorrow for florida to spend xmas w/ parents & brother's family...
    talked to mom last night, and i can already hear her high expectations for the holiday. she's doing so much -- i know she's on overkill, the perfectionist's favorite gear. she's got every meal planned. the house will quite literally look like a disney bomb exploded -- she could get a job decorating those places. everything will be gleaming and it will be like a showroom that's supposed to be cozy but is actually oppressively shiny.

i want her to be happy this xmas. as if i can control that. but she's had such a hard year, and i genuinely want to convey my appreciation to her for all that she does, even though we have such completely different sensibilities.

i just pray there's no meltdown in the mix from her overdoing it, & from reality never really being able to muster up to expecations.

my resolve is to bring as much a spirit of fun into their home as possible... i think it will be a salve for the whole family this year

5. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

When did my mother move to Florida????? Sounds eerily familiar, Samina!

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

rofl...
    devoted mum tho she is, you also have my sympathies
    :)

7. mamboqueen

Yes, most kids remember the smell of spaghetti sauce cooking, my childhood smell is ammonia. And don't mean to sound remotely ingrateful, I LOVE my mother, but when she visits, she's always cleaning up, straightening up, etc., and then I don't feel like I can sit and relax. Plus, she puts things back in places where I can't find them. I think she does this purposefully so I have to call her more frequently ;)

But, I am very grateful for my mom and all she has done for me.

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

my goodness, can i relate to this, MQ! my mother and i have diametrically opposed sensibilities when it comes to most things spatial & aesthetic. if i keep something on the upper right front of the cabinet, she will definitely be inclined to keep it on the lower left rear. but see, this tendency is SO predictable, i can now almost always find things after she's been at them but just tuning into the exact OPPOSITE of what i'd do! LOL

the kids know about this dynamic and we've had many, many giggles together after she's gone <g>

i just adore her, tho. i'm very fortunate to have been loved by someone so devoted, and while she still walks the planet, i want to remember that every day.

9. mamboqueen

Does your mother exhaust the answering machine tape as well??? *oy*

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

no, in that area the two differ :)

but does yours still wonder out loud if you're going to comb your hair...?<g>

11. mamboqueen

No...she's tell me I'm too thin. Mostly from the side. I get a comment like "you're thin like a model from the side" (and I'm left to think...what, I'm a wide load from the front??). She tries to phrase things in a way that sound like a compliment ...gotta give her a little high fives for trying.

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

the last time i saw my mom, this past summer, she said something i'm sure she didn't realize was very surprising (in a good way)... she complimented how i looked in my jeans, that i was "just right" and that my figure was such that it could get away with tight jeans. unheard of type of compliment from her...

she's always hated tight jeans on me, and did not like when i was overweight that i'd wear anything that clung too closely to my posterior. i was quite shocked by her comment. made me realize i'd facilitated quite the transformation.

then she told me that she wouldn't be able to pick her own daughter out of a crowd, that it would take awhile for her to get used to seeing me so differently. it was fun to hear that, too.

now, she's asked me... "can i take you to church with me xmas eve? i... uh... i want to show you off <g>"

so, i feel like i'm sorta gonna be her little barbie doll on this trip. but i don't mind. she's really proud of her daughter... might as well let her have her fun. ;) can't say it doesn't feel good!

13. mamboqueen

Wow! that's really nice to hear, Barbie ;) You don't think she's trying to fix you up with someone at church so you'll move down to Florida??!!

My mother gushes so frequently that sometimes I roll my eyes, but then I realize I do it to my daughter, too. I guess it's in the genes.

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

don't think so... although she'd do almost ANYthing to get me to move down there. lol. every few months she takes another stab at it. the last one was... "we have this 3rd house we can't seem to sell... you might as well live in it! think of the money it would save you!" lol

that's so nice to hear, MQ. glad you're passing the tradition on. <g>

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

OMG. That was probably the most disturbing post I've read. With the exception of the disney bomb, and the shiny (I trend towards matte or nickel finish), that's me. To a "T." God, it's disturbing to hear yourself described, by a relatively complete stranger, when they weren't even talking about you. And to pick out the flaws like that...

The thing is, I bet she can't control it any more than I can...

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

very true, peach. so it wouldn't be fair of me to expect her to. but it's just... she beats herself up with so much needless work, and then melts down because of it, and it's hard to be around that sometimes.

it's a compulsive thing, although i know she doesn't see it that way -- she'd defend with fierce aggressiveness WHY she just HAS to do all this stuff.

me... from being on my own with the kids for so long, i am a major simplifier, because i do NOT value stress and i so did not want to impose a neurotic mother on my children. horrifies my mother that i rarely iron... and only as-needed. she still has "the ironing" that must get done every week.

WOW.

if you want to down-scale your habits, stick with me peaches... i bet you'd find just a few things to drop to make things easier on yourself. and to give that poor aching back of your a break... :)

17. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

We're looking forward to celebrating Christmas with all 3 of our kids plus our daughter-in-law for the first time in several years.
    However,trying to get ready to move and get ready for Christmas at the same time is not fun. Still don't have my shopping done. I'm not usually a real early shopper, but try not to leave it this late.
    I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2007!

18. mamboqueen

Likewise, Suzie ;)

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

okay, so last friday i took off from work & made christmas cookies and promised i'd post pix. so, for a little added holiday decoration, here they are.

although i warn you... these would send gourmet & bon apetit photographers into heart failure they are artistically so hideous. i am clearly *not* a born food photographer. <g>

these are simple butter cookies that have been glazed w/ almond icing (spratt's desired flavor). they look <yawn> boring, but my oldest son calls them "the devil". hard to stop eating these...
    [​IMG]

these are the same, drizzled w/ mocha icing...
    [​IMG]

and these are the ones inspired by fascination... peppermint crunch butter cookies that have been completely enrobed in a mocha icing & topped with crushed peppermint sticks... (for those frequenting the humbug thread, please note the decidedly UNholiday-like platters i utilized... LOL)
    [​IMG]

and here's the whole kit-n-caboodle...
    [​IMG]

may have to have one of fascination's cookies w/ some hot chocolate as a reward when i've finished my packing. can you believe these cookies have been out on my counter all week AND I HAVEN'T HAD ONE? weird...

20. mamboqueen

My hips just expanded 4" looking at those! YUM!