Dancers Anonymous > Yahoo thinks I'm spamming... myself!

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Chris Stratton, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I don't know if I should be annoyed or simply laugh. Mail that I send to myself or cc to myself from my yahoo account now shows up in my spam box... even after clicking not spam on several of them.

chalk it up with the "my tivo thinks I'm a latin dancer" stories.

2. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

I believe that's standard procedure for many anti-spam applications. Much spam is sent using the recipient's address in the "from" field. And anti-spam application programmers apparently assume that people rarely send legitimate messages to themselves. Have you tried "white listing" your address? Doing so, of course, might lead to more spam getting treated as legitimate mail.

-IJ

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yup, same here.

4. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Is there a setting or something where you can save your sent emails to a "Sent" folder without cc'ing yourself?

5. tj

tj New Member

So did you click on any of the ads/links that you're spamming yourself with? ;)

6. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Hope you didn't get a virus from doing that... :lol:

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Yet another flawed spam response. If that's so, it sounds like the folks who implemented it should have been sent one of these:
    --

8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

9. Laura

Laura New Member

Where'd you get that DL...it looks like something a friend of mine, who used to be the anti-spamming czar for Hotmail, would have written! :)

10. DL

DL Well-Known Member

It's a famous checklist in certain circles -- often seen on Slashdot or any in any forum where email software professionals discuss spam.

I work for a software vendor to telcos. We added an anti-spam solution to our product offerings a while back, and got pretty involved with industry working groups.

It's a hard problem with many non-solutions -- as the checklist shows, and your friend no doubt could explain in more detail than you cared to know. :)