Event Announcements > Yale 2006

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by Anna, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Anna

Anna New Member

Also by the way they're allowing double registration for gold and open now. Here is the full announcement they sent:

Hello Fellow Dancers!

On behalf of the Yale Team, I would first like to thank you for your patience with our competition this year. Second, I am thrilled to announce our competition's official time, location and date:

The 2006 Yale Winter Ballroom Competition will be held on Sunday, December 3rd at the New Haven Lawn Club in their beautiful Grand Ballroom. Doors will open at 8am and the competition will start promptly at 9am. The Lawn Club is located at 193 Whitney Avenue, immediately across the street from the Peabody Museum on the Yale Campus. Directions are available on the competition website and photos of the interior of the ballroom will be posted soon.

You may register at www.ballroomregistrar.com/register/Yale06. Due to the many delays with our competition this year, the regular registration deadline has been pushed back to November 29th and late registration may occur at the door. The cost is $30 per student ($35 per non-student) or your team may opt to use the team flat rate of $750. This year we have also opened up a PayPal account for those for whom it would be more convenient to pay by credit card.

As always, double registration is not allowed at Yale Comp, however this year we are allowing double registration from gold to open categories. Also, we have added a separate Open category to both Smooth and Rhythm. If you find that these changes have not shown on the registration site yet, have no fear for they should be made over the next couple of days.

More detailed information about housing arrangements, payment, schedule of events, etc can be found on the competition website at www.yale.edu/ballroom/comp.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you might have as we are very excited about this year's competition and our new venue!

Thanks again,
    Megan Danna
    Captain

and

Bethany Shady
    Competition Coordinator

2. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I'll be closing registration in about 30 minutes.

As a member of the head table staff, I'd like to make a request to everyone attending -- the first few levels are absolutely amazingly large (180 couples in Beginner Rhythm?), even with the normal collegiate no-show rate I expect we'll need to add an extra round in both newcomer and beginner relative to the other competitions of the year. The schedule is likely to be strained. Please do what you can to help stay organized and "babysit" your team's newcomers and beginners.

3. Marko

Marko New Member

Hi everyone!
    This is going to be our first competition! We registered for International newcomer level.

Any advice from the pro's to the novice?

Is it ok if I'm shaking right now? :)

Marko (NY)

4. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Welcome Marko!

Advice:
    Smile, have fun, pay attention (nothing is more frustrating that missing your event/callback, IMO), don't worry about the results/placements/etc -- no one competition "means" anything (for good or bad)

You say your doing the international newcomer? Both standard and latin? Good luck and maybe I'll see you there... (I'll be the the guy behind a computer at the head table)

5. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Good luck. Most importantly, have fun! Other than that, stay on time :) and make sure you are noticed in the early rounds - I'm guessing the floor will be crowded.

Say hi if you get a chance (I'll be the guy wearing a kangol hat, and talking to everyone about Independence Day Ball dance camp :) ) and probably hanging out with Eric a bit.

6. Marko

Marko New Member

Yes, we are going to dance both the standard and latin. We know all 10 dances (Latin and American) (except Bolero), but the way we know them might only be enough for newcommer/beginner. It would be best for us to concentrate on 2-3 dances and make them perfect.

Of course we'll come and say hi to both of you :)

Ily, will you compete?

7. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

with so many couples registered, do you know if the schedule will be adjusted?

8. jumpingbeens

jumpingbeens New Member

I just posted this in the other thread about the Yale Comp, but here it is again:

Here is the latest version of our schedule, which accounts for the latest number of registrations (so many!!):

8:00 - Doors Open
    9:00 - American Smooth
    11:00 - International Standard
    1:15 - Open Smooth/Open Standard and Smooth/Standard Fun Dance
    2:00 - Lunch (if time permits)
    2:30 - Open Latin/Open Rhythm and Latin/Rhythm Fun dance
    3:00 - International Latin
    6:30 - American Rhythm
    9:00 - Goodnight!

9. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Thank you. I'm surprised about the lunch... (granted, it probably won't happened)

10. Katarzyna

how good is this comp about running on time? we might have a lesson that morning ending at 10:00.. which would put us on 11:07 train arriving in New Heaven at 12:52.... hm... Do you think it will become hectic and run a little bit behind schedule like many college events?

11. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Yale has had issues off and on. From 2000-2002 it was a normal collegiate event for the era (ie probably about an hour late by the end of the day, normally starting about 20-30 minutes late and then losing time slowly). No better, no worse, schedulewise than the other events.

I wasn't at 2003-4, but I think I remember hearing that 2003 went extremely smoothly, while 2004 had some schedule/scrutineering related issues.

I scrutineered 2005, and the morning went extremely smoothly/on-time, but Latin ran almost an hour late which pinched Rhythm something fierce (something like 60-70% cuts in the early rounds) in order to vacate the venue by a hard and fast deadline. Latin ran late because it had more dances than standard, but only budgeted the same amount of time.

My prediction (gulp :) ) -- The morning will run very close to on-time, likely a little late. The lunch break will probably be swallowed up to end up basically on time before Open Latin/Rhythm starts. I suspect we'll lose the fun dances and end no later than 30 minutes behind. Of course this is contingent on the event starting on time in the first place which is the greatest source of the college events running behind schedule from the get-go.

Though if you count on the event running late, I bet that Murphy's Law will strike and the competition will be early....

12. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Live From New Haven . . . its Sunday morning :)

First event started on time. Recalling 90 from 9 heats.....

13. Katarzyna

Leaving NY in 15 min

14. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

So early indications.... Out of the 190 couples registere for beginner smooth, 140 danced in the first round (recalled 81, asked for 70). Intermediate smooth and Syllabus VW, had ~30 out of 40 show up.

Apparently the Harvard bus broke down/got lost/got stuck, not sure exactly waht malady struck them, but that would partially explain the morning no shows (along with TBAs not finding parnters)

15. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Starting International Standard now...

16. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on our dfers, please!

Too bad about the Harvard bus.

17. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

RIDancer placed 6th, I think, in the Intermediate American W/T with a last mintue pickup partner. Hopefully I'll be able to dance her to similar success next week at Tufts in Gold when I get to compete instead of scrutineering.

hbetx9 (I think have that paired to the right person) placed 1st in the syllabus VW and Gold American Waltz/Tango/Foxtrot.

I'm wasn't aware enough of other faces during the awards.

18. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Oh, I've seen some of the Harvard people, so I'm not sure if the bus has gotten here, or if that was just a few people in individual cars...

19. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

hey - good for RID! Obviously a testament to good following skills :)

So, tell us, does Kat's hair match her dress??!!!

20. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Haven't seen Kat yet.

Finally met Ily. I've seen callen. Don't know who marko or tuxedosam are, but I assume they are here