Salsa > "Yay Boy" -- what's it about?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Big10, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Medira

Medira New Member

Fabulous, FABULOUS CD...I also adore their Afro-Latin Party compilation

2. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

wow, good info on a great song!!

Bravo, well done!

3. africana

africana New Member

This conversation is not useful

Just wait for someone who speaks wolof to confirm that the song is indeed NOT senegalese...oh wait a minute, my friend already told me it was a wolof folk song that was pepped up and converted into salsa...

So let's wait for that definitive translation. There's absolutely no need to be core-dumping useless information

stay tuned...

4. SurfSalsa

SurfSalsa New Member

In a way I agree with you w.r.t. African Salsa - except for Yaye Boy and one or two other cuts, not the same funk make-you-do-shines-around-the-table and wow!! as Martina (Africondo). I've put Afro-Latino on my wish list...

The amazing thing about these (call-it) Latin-African collaborations is that the music is in fact going full circle. I am busy reading my 2nd book on the history of Cuban music - and I am amazed at how strong the African influence in Cuban (and other Latin American) music actually was. If it weren't for the West Africans brought to the Caribbean, salsa wouldn't have existed. With these collaborations we see the cross-polination going back to its roots - and the result is such great music to dance to!!

One of my dreams is to go and explore dancing and music and dance-related culture in places like Senegal...

5. msjanemas

msjanemas New Member

Another touchy comment! Nothing is useless! Much was learned from those articles as well as all the opinions, wrong or right, from any of the posters here and on other threads. But of course this was only about me :x

Here listen to some salsa gorda:

http://www.luisitorosario.com/RumbaDelBarrio.wmv

6. africana

africana New Member

no need, I'll wait for that translation
    8)

7. msjanemas

msjanemas New Member

I hope my guess is wrong too! :wink:

8. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I was listening to this song this morning and, yes, it feels good on2 to me.
    Not that I've ever danced on2 to it -- not enough on2 leaders in my scene.

I like dancing cuban style to this too. Can be a lot of fun.

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

hmm...still no translation. :(

10. africana

africana New Member

i know :( I been bugging my friend again (via email)

11. Big10

Big10 Member

Gee, I saw this thread rise again and got my hopes up for an answer :D ....but then..... :cry:

I'll keep searching, though. 8)

I like dancing On1 to it -- but, of course, I have a preference for On1 in general.

12. SurfSalsa

SurfSalsa New Member

I spent the weekend in Dakar, Senegal - and asked a Wolof speaking guy, who knows the song and group well, what the song was about... so, roughly translated from French:

In the hard times in Africa, it is the mother of the family who keeps everything going, who makes sure the family survives, has food, shelter, etc.
    When the young singer grows up, he dedicates a song to his mother in appreciation of her commitment, endurance, devotion, etc. This is exactly what this song is about - a dedication to his mother.

13. africana

africana New Member

you're our hero man :cheers:

14. alemana

alemana New Member

i feel like my life can go on now.

15. Big10

Big10 Member

SurfSalsa, thanks a bunch for thinking of DF -- even during your weekend vacation! :wink: :lol:

At the risk of sounding greedy :oops: , I'm still hoping that somebody can give us a word-for-word translation. There seem to be a number of references in the song to the singer's father ("Bay" or "Baay") and a grandparent ("Mam" or "Maam"), which is why I didn't think the song was dedicated exclusively to the singer's mother.

In any event, I'm glad that we have a lot more insight into the song! :D

16. SurfSalsa

SurfSalsa New Member

Hi Big10, I tried to draw, drag, nag, pulse, pole, beg, borrow & steal more out of him, but that is as much as I could get. The setting at a small informal little beach cafe (i.e. shack, but which servers delicious fish) wasn't such that one could listen to the song and write down the words either...
    BUT I would also like a phrase by prase translation!

Maybe, one day, I may get to return there... then I'll find a Senegalese salsera to translate it for me!

17. Salsablaster

Salsablaster New Member

Hi Big 10 , I'm a fan of Africando and I have many songs from them that has good rhythm. I like specially "Moliendo Cafe" and "Aitcha". About "Yay Boy" I think I was one of the first people who bought that song that came in a Variety Singer Album called "Dancing Salsa USA Mix Vol. 2" , May 1996. By that time it was not a hit , nobody new who was those people came from until in 1997 they made their first album and became popular. :)

18. salsamale

salsamale New Member

Yay Boy trivia: this song was used during the sex scene in the movie "What Women Want". The sex scene featured Nick Marshall (Mel Gibson) and Lola (Marisa Tomei).

19. rmancera

rmancera New Member

This is an old thread but I was looking for the lyrics for the song and stumbled on it...thought I'd respond...maybe someone is still interested?!

I work with a guy from Senegal, he had seen this group perform at his friends wedding there. He is also a fan of the group. The guy I work with speaks several languages, including one that is used in this song, Woloff. However there are a couple lines he cannot translate since they are not in any of the languages he knows. He is going to consult a friend on those and get back to me. The word, "boy", in this song indicates an endearing term to Mom so he says it's like saying Mommy. As a child calls their parent. So keep that in mind as I write "mom" or "dad" it usually means it a more endearing term. Same with reference to the other family members. Although I'm not sure we use much of that in English, as for an Aunt of grandparents...?

The lines in quotation marks are the English translation.

YAY, SUMA YAY BOY - BAY, SUBA BAY BOY (x 2)

"MOM MY DEAR MOM (or MOMMY), DAD MY DEAR DAD ( or DADDY)"

Mam mam boy, bay ma bay boy (x 2)

"GRANDPARENTS ARE LIKE MY PARENTS (MOM AND DAD)" also use terms of endearment here.

Maraqui Ai Boy - YAY BOY "My Mom's (younger) sister is my mom (mommy)"
    Maraqui Bay Boy - BAY BOY "My Dad's (younger) brother is my Dad (daddy)"
    Maraqui Mam Boy - MAM BOY "My grandmothers sister is my mom"
    Maraqui Ai Boy - YAY BOY "My Mom's sister is my mom"
    Y yay o yay, yay bal ma "Mom, Mom forgive me"
    Aah bay bal ma "Dad, forgive me"

(all use terms of endearment above)

YAY, SUBA YAY BOY - BAY, SUBA BAY BOY (x 2)

"MOM MY DEAR MOM (MOMMY), DAD MY DEAR DAD (DADDY)"

Mamba mam boy, bay ma bay boy (x 2)

"GRANDPARENTS ARE LIKE MY PARENTS (MOM AND DAD)"

Machumba bai zao - MAM BOY *unknown lines*
    Asera puma funde - MAM BOY
    Canja ginjo yao - MAM BOY
    Y se tao ue zizi - YAY BOY

YAY, SUBA YAY BOY, BAY, SUBA BAY BOY (x 2)

"MOM MY DEAR MOM (MOMMY), DAD MY DEAR DAD (DADDY)"

AI BAY PAL MA, AAH YAY PAL MA " dad forgive me, mom forgive me"
    Mam mam pal ma, bay yo bay, ma bal ma "grandparents forgive me, dad forgive me"
    Mam.... Maraqui mam boy, mam mam pal ma "aunt and grandparents forgive me"

AH, MAM BAL MA, AH, BAY BAL MA "grandparents forgive me, dad forgive me"
    AH, BAY BAL MA, AY, YA BAL MA "dad forgive me, fogive me"

Machumba bai dera bu pal ma, asera puma funde pal ma *unknown lines*
    Tan mi chumba lera pal ma, ah, yay pal ma *unknown lines*

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Thanks for the start, and welcome to df. :)