Salsa > "Yay Boy" -- what's it about?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Big10, Jul 27, 2005.

1. tj

tj New Member

Hey, cool! Welcome to DF!

(Those lyrics make even less sense now that we have the translation, lol!)

2. Big10

Big10 Member

Yes, I'm definitely still interested! :)

I look forward to hearing more about what your friends have to say about the lyrics!

3. dramababe

dramababe New Member

I love it

I really like that song, one of my favorites!!

I used to be part of a salsa group and we were looking for music. This was one of our top picks but we never ended up making choreography for it because it was such a long piece. But I want to one day be able to make a group salsa dance with that song!!

4. Big10

Big10 Member

I still haven't gotten a full translation, but I did get some similar information this past weekend!

I was having some car trouble, so I needed to take a taxicab to and from the Salsa club on Saturday night. When I was chit-chatting with the cab driver who picked me up for the ride back home, I mentioned that I had just spent the night dancing Salsa. The cab driver said that he liked Salsa music, even though he was playing some Reggae music on his radio. So, I asked if he was from the Caribbean -- but he said, no, he was from Senegal. :shock: Then I mentioned that I knew there were at least a couple of popular Salsa bands from Senegal, including a group called Africando -- and he said he liked the song "Yay Boy." :shock:

I asked the cab driver if he knew what it was about, and he said that it was in the Wolof language (which he spoke), and that it was a song "about appreciation of his mother." Then he even sang a couple of lines from the song's chorus. :D He explained a little bit about how other family members were mentioned, but that the song was still mainly about the mother.....then we reached my home before I could get more information. :mad: (I live less than 10 minutes away from that club.)

In retrospect, I should have just paid a couple of extra dollars to keep the meter running and have him explain the whole song for me once and for all! Oh well. So, we're still in search of a full translation....

5. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

funny stuff, who cares for sooooooooo much background, i dont , some do. sometimes its better not to know aleast for me, WHY? because i really like the song but if someone is dancing sexy and the song was saying something sad it(COULD BUM ME OUT) or its a political song and people are doing shines, really it seems to me quite silly, however most people do not think about what the song is saying ,even those who speak and understand spanish, salsa to me has to much controversy, yeah its good to give credit, but its amix of cultures& has grown beyond who started what, music grows and changes, and in today:s world everybody NOW is influenced by EVERYONE ELSE.

6. Big10

Big10 Member

Yeah, like you said, "some do" -- which includes me and many other people who have posted on this thread. I always like to know what songs are about, since I think of them as artistic creations, including whatever message the composer is trying to get across. If the lyrics didn't matter, then why bother including them at all?

Anyway, the whole issue of "Yay Boy" has become a bit of an intriguing mystery and challenge now. :p This thread started two-and-a-half years ago, about one of the most popular Salsa songs from the last 10 years -- so it truly amazes me that it's so difficult to find an English translation!

The search continues....

7. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

big 10 i was really not refering to you, i think it was valid to want to know what it meant or means,BUT someone took it wayyyyyyyyyyy beyond that, and thats my main point, the lyrics in salsa are not all that, and a bag of chips, unless they were from a different era so to speak, the purists really think everyone cares about a lot of the silly lyrics that are written in many salsa songs, most people want to dance period, perhaps one does not catch the cunning overtones that long winded writers make, for what? i"ll leave that to each ones own thinking, please dont think im attacking you for wanting to know lyrics. my opionions are not just mine i"ve chatted with many spanish speaking folk from all over south america& cuba & puerto rico, some feel the same way as i do, its crude really( a lot of salsa) and there are many other styles of LATIN music that do not express such ahhhh sentiments..

8. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

on another note, some english speakings songs make no sense either, people just like to feel good with the music, 1 of 1000"s of examples, of this was a songs on the radio(tell me lies tell me sweet little lies) sung by a women, and to boot i heard a women singing to this years ago at a womens shelter. i hope i"ve been clear..