Salsa > yay!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Lockstep, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Lockstep

Lockstep New Member

just heard that Al Espinoza is gonna visit the Netherlands in two weeks time, and signed myself up for 4 hours of intermediate and advanced classes! got some dvds of him, and though i am hardly very good at his style, i do love it...yay!

first time ill be getting to see one of the salsa scene's internationally famous people, besides those we got locally (which arent that many)

yay!

ps and only 30 euros!

2. yola

yola New Member

yeah that's great isn't it! it's a great guy, great teacher, really fun. Hope to be at the party too.

3. Lockstep

Lockstep New Member

cool, lemme know whether u end up going! would be nice to meet my first fellow df-er

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wow! That is a yay-worthy situation. :) Have a blast! :D

5. yola

yola New Member

will do! maybe we allready know eachother, just dont know it yet..hehe

6. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Very cool, Lockstep! Welcome back. ;) Oh, and 30 Euros is a very good deal if you consider it's Al. Hope you get lots out of it.

Twilight Elena

7. Lockstep

Lockstep New Member

yay one more night to go! yola, u plan to visit the party? heard from one of my teachers, btw that Al's a fabulous teacher and performer, but only average social dancer...well, ill see for myself...yay!

8. desconocida

desconocida Member

That's strange - though that's the same promoter in Germany and the Netherlands (there're several workshops with Al in Germany within next weeks) you can't pay just 2 workshops in Germany!
    You have to buy a full-pass for all 4 workshops (though only 2 are tought by Al, the others by local teachers or by the promoter himself, but that's the same thing in NL), disregarding whether you want to participate or not...

Are you going to participate in Zaterdag?

9. Lockstep

Lockstep New Member

yeah, two blocks turned out to consist of 2 workshops each...theres another local instructor 2, but im ending up having 4 hours of Al, 60 euros in total...am going there now...ill let u know how it was

if anyone from over here is going there, I'll be wearing a Tshirt at the party that says 'If you dont like me, you probably havent danced with me yet', so you can recognize me

Lockstep

10. yola

yola New Member

:( seems i'm not going, it's not near any public transport, and i don't know of anybody living in my neighbourhood who's going...so i won't be able to go get home...

11. yola

yola New Member

Nooooooo! who said that?
    he's so much fun to dance with. He's always smiling, playing around, really paying attention to his partner, into the music, making his level of dancing fit to the level of his dancepartner, etc..
    makes you rrrreally love dancing with him!!.
    granted, he's not one of the show-offs. So if you'r idea of a great social dancer is: being spun around a gezillion times, he's not the one to dance with.

12. yola

yola New Member

so, how was it?
    did you like all and his social dancing?;)

13. Lockstep

Lockstep New Member

Too bad you couldn't make it Yola...

The workshops were excellent. He taught his musicality workshop, four hours long of it, and it was inspiring, especially because of his illustrative manner of teaching. Everybody loved it.

Al's show was spectacular, although I have somewhat of a dislike towards guns all over the place, but, spectacular nevertheless. Great choreography, styling, and one of the acrobatic moves still has me wondering what actually happened.

However, I was indeed not very impressed by Al's social dancing, in fact, truly shocked. The times that I saw him dancing with a local girl, he seemed to be leading her in a very very lousy manner, not even giving her enough space. He hardly seemed to put any of his musicality in practice and it looked monotonous. It looked boring, rather than playful, and he nearly came across stiff. In all, if I hadn't known him before, I'd have qualified him as a beginning/intermediate dancer, until the moment when he and another instructor and his own partner started doing a bit of an improvised show with all attention on him, which was spectacular, but not really social anymore.

An instructor here told me, who knows Al a bit, that he has some kind of mental concentration issue, which sometimes messes up his classes and, it seems, his social dancing?

Anyway, hes really nice. Unfortunately neither he nor his partner were dancing a lot...still jetlagged and came straight from Italy. I talked to his partner a bit though, and we were just planning to dance when Al and the other instructor started dancing together, and then took her into the center as well, so there went my opportunity to dance with a pro :) Was nice to meet though

With respect to my own dancing - I don't know what happened. Hard to describe, but somehow, with a 'click', I felt transformed and my dancing was, I don't know, incredible, compared to my usual standards. Somehow I seem to have lossed my stiff-ness in a week's time or so, started hearing the music, and discovered my own styling...but not gradually: it came in a bang of insight. Anyway, for the first time ever, I managed to have an entire day (some 10 hours), in which I felt great about every single dance I did, and there were a couple of dances which I truly found amazing, and we even got cheered on by some of the spectators, which I wasnt used to...also felt I nearly got a heart attack during a couple of the more passionate dances. I'm still in a somewhat strange state of mind about this...felt as if somebody else was doing the dancing, cuz it was waaaay different from my usual standards...strange.

Anyway, in all I spent some 100 euros on one day of dancing, but it was extremely well worth it!

14. Josh

Josh Active Member

Glad to hear you had a great time!

100 euros in one day of dancing? I've spent that much in just over an hour's time with certain instructors... don't sweat a hundred euros for a whole day... :) Consider it a deal.

15. yola

yola New Member

great you had a good time! amazing, isn't it, this transformation from just enjoying dancing, to dancing your heart out and then some!
    pity indeed i couldn't make it, wouldve loved to see it.

what did you think of the other shows?

i have had three or four completely differtent experiences with Al.. well, shows that even the 'great' are only human after all.