Tango Argentino > Yeah, but rules are meant to be broken right? I said Right!!!

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Heather2007, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Rebel rebel, youve torn your dress
    Rebel rebel, your face is a mess
    Rebel rebel, how could they know?
    Hot tramp, I love you so!

3. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

My kinda man. Yum!

4. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Those tango rules are good..some of the info applies to other kinds of dances as well. The unfortunate thing is that for the most part, beginners don't know many of these protocols for the dance floor. (unless they're like me and obsessively visit websites and message boards ;) ) Most folks just sort of gradually find out, but not before stepping on a bunch of other people's feet along the way.

5. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

They say that I "don't have to continue to the end of a tanda, or even to the end of a song, if you are uncomfortable for any reason."
    There are many reasons that can make me uncomfortable.

I'm running out of steps and inspiration at half-song.
    The empanadas I had ordered at the bar are now ready and will be cold if I wait too long.
    There's a teacher on the dance floor and I can't remember his name but I know he's mentioned in the free tango magazine that they give at the bar.

But until I read that tangomoment protocol I used to keep dancing with my follower until the end. Now I'll just drive her back to her table.
    Thanks for the head up.

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

you missed stopping when you see a 5p coin on the floor on the other side of the room.

7. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Heather, how did you come across this site by Jay Rabe from Portland?

One comment about NEVER dancing against the line of dance, is that you should never say never. Robert Hauk, a big fan of Buenos Aries milongas, http://home.teleport.com/~robhauk/navigation1.html has said explicitly that if there is lots of space open behind you, it's fair game. Even if you are going against the line of dance. I second that.

I hope that one of the "protocols" is taken seriously by readers, and that is the one about the leader's responsibility to apologize if you run into someone else.
    This is an issue that I brought up with many of the prominent teachers and organizers here in Portland a few years ago.
    I always thought that the tango crowd would be somehow more civil than people at a country western place. I did not find that to be true, and reached the point where...
    Well, let's just say, that's when I started communicating with the community leaders.
    (And, if I may, that's when Jay added the finding the milonguero to apologize story. Precious.)
    I am not sure what it is about AT that makes people feel that they can run into other couples, and continue dancign as if nothing had happened.

You folks who teach should make this very clear to your students. I like the approach of telling people that they are not only dancing with the music and their partner, but also with all of the other couples on the floor. I hope, too, that you set a good example when you dance.
    Please, teachers, teach your students that this responsibilty is part of the culture of Argentine Tango. It certainly seems to be in BA.

P.S. That said, running into, bumping, kicking, or stepping on someone is not the same as brushing against them.

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I don't mind getting brushed or lightly bumped. Things happen.

What I don't like is getting run into, bumped (significantly), kicked, etc. with any kind of force. I don't much care if it's my lead's fault or another leader. It annoys me. What bothers me even more is when something like that has just happened, and I don't ever get the opportunity to apologize. (Thankfully, I've not yet boleo'ed anyone.)

I know the article says that navigation is the leader's responsibility. And, I mostly agree with that. But I do keep an eye out as well. Not as much as in ballroom--sometimes my field of vision is restricted to his face/neck/chest, sometimes I've got my eyes closed--but I do generally tend to be aware. But it seems very rare to find a leader who can/will respond to gentle (or not so gentle) pressure from my left hand, or even when I try my hardest to "plant" myself and not move. Guys, could you please learn to respond to those signals? Please?

9. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Common sense should always dictate, when navigating thru any dance situation.
    Of course the lady should contribute ,if ,and as when appropriate .

I am at a loss ,to understand , why any teacher (? ) would not teach the rules of the " dance " road . It is always included from lesson 1, in all my groups , no matter the genre .

10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Sometimes, the teacher can talk 'til they're blue in the face about it...doesn't mean people will listen.

I wish teachers would teach the men to respond to navigational distress signals from the women. (And, of course, teacher the women to use them.)

11. DMD

DMD New Member

Unfortunately, it would seem that while there are some that are aware of follower "navigational distress signals" (btw - fun term peaches), some leaders choose to ignore them - b/c they feel no significant harm will come from a collision. Call it lack of common sense or lack of experience...

12. jhpark

jhpark Member

hehe -- i always notice additional pressure on my back, stop moving in whichever direction i was going (though sometimes i don't react quickly enough and collide anyway ... sigh) and mutter a quick thank you to my follow. interestingly, i was never taught what that signal meant, but it was always fairly obvious.

the confusing thing is when my follow increases pressure around my back as if there is someone there, but i do a quick check and don't see anything. ? not sure what that's about. but that's admittedly rather rare, so not something i worry about as a matter of course.