Dancers Anonymous > Yesterday I went out to ....

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by elisedance, Nov 10, 2007.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Ah, but you should ask your daughter what comments SHE got - 'didn't your parents dance beautifully...' :)

2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I went Christmas shopping, including at the dreaded Toys-R-Us. It wasn't too
    terribly crowded, and the shelves were mostly empty! We managed to get something Elmo for his adorable 2 year old nephew.

3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

yesterday dropped perfect house guest (knew when to fold up (the extra table) and when to hold (off so I could focus)) at the airport and then met DP for a christmas eve dance practise. Studio warm and deserted. What a Christmas present....

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

To the video store to rent a movie.

5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

[whatcha get? I just rented 'The Queen' with Helen Mirren and 'the commitments' which is supposed to be a funky comedy]

6. meow

meow New Member

Yesterday I went to the bank, the chemist and the supermarket. Very unexciting, too hot so won't go out today as the temp will be higher.

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Yesterday went to a party in the village (toronto is the town of a thousand villages - all with seemingly with their own theme). Cabbagetown is a large area of victorian homes, almost all of which have been remodeled from virtually slum conditions (there are still a few rooming houses) - so that little of the interior victoriana remains and you walk in the front door through the perfect and authentic brick victorian fascade into architecture that ranges the entire gamut from reconstructed victorian to totally futuristic. The house last night was 'artsy': the owner is a friend of a superb portrait artist who works n pen, pencil or charcoal with watercolour overlay. Pictures that are brutal in their honesty with respect to the sitters characters. Other than that the interior was painted a milk white - everywhere - together with similar or slightly varying coloured carpets, furniture and furnishings. Even the bookshelf in the upstairs bedroom sports books that were individually covered in paper of the same milk-colour making it impossible to tell one from another, just another architectural feature. Behind the victorian plan entryway lies the small dining room and above the central table is a rather unusual chandilere - it is composed of wires spreading out from the light bulbs with clips on their ends and hanging from each clip is a sheet of paper on which guests are invited to write some comment, insight or witticism - and in a few cases draw rather elegant pictures. The whole becomes a very engaging, if not very light distributing, centrepiece (and yes, I did add a sheet). Behind the dining room is the living room with its milk white fascade that serves as a spectacular backdrop to paintings that would make a museum proud and also some sculptural structures in blacks. Altogether a house that is quarter home and three-quaters gallery....

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Cabbagetown? It seems like I've heard of that, but I don't know where in Toronto it is.

9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Its about 2 miles east of the centre - kind of a fantasy village for a city with,would you believe, a farm (located in the old city zoo) where you can buy eggs and walk down a country lane! Not bad for a city of over 3meg people... I just love it.

10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Went to a lesson, stopped by the grocery store on the way home. Then went to a girl friend's house for dinner and canasta.

11. meow

meow New Member

Cabbagetown sounds like a step back in time. I am going to look it up on the net and see what I can from here.

Oh, and yesterday I went nowhere.

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

IMO its exactly how many (most?) city people would like to live. Small individual homes within walking distance of a village-like shopping street (we have a butcher, a baker, a grocer a hardware shop, a pharmacy, terrific food and coffee, (but no candlestick maker :)), a park and nature. However, a scary sign is that Starbucks is moving in.... All the little guys are currently running marginal but functioning businesses and doing OK but the impending doom of the chains.

Did you do nothing there? I bet you regretted coming back....

13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Is it just me, or does anyone else get pictures of a particularly smelly part of town when they read name cabbagetown? :D

14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

[Thats our secret way of preventing the yanks from buying the place out - that plus the magic word SNOW. See them run... :p;):rolleyes: ]

15. meow

meow New Member

:rocker: I regret coming back as I went nowhere again today.....and there is nothing to do there. I actually think I may being going nowhere again tomorrow.:eek::shock:

16. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

I finally remembered to ask her .... her response (in a pouty voice), "they didn't even mention how I danced."

Not being sexist here or anything, but DH's partners were women and possibly more sentimental about the father/daughter thing, or maybe more inclined to mention it. Daughter and I tend to dance with men, who may focus on different matters in their casual chit-chat. Or maybe not.:roll:

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Nah, I think its the father-daughter cute thing. I think there are few things more sentimental to us humans than a strong man taking care of a female child and dance just feeds into that.

18. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Didn't go out, had family over for my Grandma's birthday and watched the Packers game.

19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

evening - two parties in Cabbagetown, first was pulled together rather late and had only 8 people or so - because everyone was at the second one with over 60 or so guests. Still didn't know many people there so a couple of us went back to my house making it back minutes before midnight - just enough time to throw together fruit salads and a very nice bottle of US wine (Sterling chardonnay). Snow falling in the back yard illuminated by the ouside house lights looked just like the last scene in White Christmas - and the combination was by far the best way to ring in the new year. Hope that bodes well...

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

amazing video store. Cabbagetown has a 'blockbuster' with the usual current stuff and a few old classics - and then it has a video store that is just amazing. The place is owned by a guy who is OK but into the latest movie. However, Nancy who works there is something else. She must view every movie that comes out and finds the most oddball, funny and arty ones you can imagine. To top it off she writes little post-it notes with her critique - just on the ones she likes - which is tucked under the see-through cover. There must be over 100 of these on display at any time and her ratings are just spot on (and also very useful to warn you against horrific surprises).

Last night we watched 'after the wedding'. Its made in Denmark and is mixed english/subtitled. I can't tell you much about it as it was so well crafted any bit of info depletes it - but I wonder if anyone else has seen it or can find it!

Tomorrow it will be 'volver' which I have no idea what it is about....