General Dance Discussion > Yesterday

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Kate, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Kate

Kate New Member

in Ballet, everyone was screaming and shouting to my Dance Teacher that they wanted a "fun" lesson, (but of course any Dance Class if un ;)), so anyway she agreed, and towards the end of the lesson, she wanted me and this girl named Chloe to make an exercise up for some French Word I can't pronounce. Now, I haven't been doing ballet for very long, so I didn't know what to do really. And the other girl was so shy and wasn't doing anything. So you can imagine the situation. And suddenly, she started to just dance, and I had to follow, and there was this one kic and i could not do it. I tried so many times, and I just could not do it, whcih was very odd. It just didn't feel right. Then we had to perform it, I looked SO silly it was very embarassing. And my dance teacher didn't look very impressed. :shock:

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

That's too bad Kate. It is really frustrating when one cannot get one thing, and we try and try and try. Did you have achance at the end of the class to ask your teacher is she could break down that kick for you in a way that you can get it so you'll have it for next time? I find that teachers are usually happy to help out those, who, even though they have stumbled time and time again, get up and ask for help. If you haven't you still have the opportunity to do so before your next class starts, by coming early. :)

3. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Different people respond to different types of dance opportunities. Some want freedom to just be themselves, some of us need to absorb a lot of structure and detailed information to prepare us to the point where we can find freedom.

Chances are if some part of this improvised routine wasn't comfortable it was in part because it was unfamiliar, but probably even more so because you didn't have some key piece of information about how to properly (even safely) do it. A lot of things in dancing aren't done quite they way they look, and one big problem with picking things up from peers is that you often have only the look to go by, not the underlying method.

I think a dance teacher has the responsability to insure that his or her students are supported with the information and guidance they need to learn and be comfortable, and not simply cut loose to sink, swim, or even injure themselves. There may be times when going from structured sitautions to free ones that a little 'you can do it, just relax' prodding might be appropriate, but that should be in the context of sufficient preparation.