Salsa > Yet another spin post...

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by esa negrita..., Mar 30, 2006.

1. esa negrita...

esa negrita... New Member

I've been scouring the boards for spin advice (thanks africana, spina) and have been tightening my abs, tucking my hips, keeping my back straight and checking my alignment in a mirror. I pulled off three in a row today (outside spin on my right leg, not a triple) and one outside on my left with solid balance, but wasn't able to do any insides. I feel like I'm getting worse, but I'm guessing that's not the case since the most I've done in one session solidly is one.

I've heard some say (like on Edie's spins DVD) that you should do a couple in each direction and others who say that they practice for 15 min-half an hour. I personally get dizzy easily and after about 5 min, I wouldn't know balance if it slapped me in the back of the head. My question is, how long do you all practice and how long did it take you until you could pull even one spin of well on the dance floor?

2. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Oh my goodness. Depends on the day. Today, I was spinning all day. It felt really good. I spun while making toast, I spun while doing the laundry, I spun everywhere and every single time I passed that one good floor spot in the kitchen I did a few more spins. When I was just starting, I spun usually for about 10 minutes at a time. What's really important is this... STOP practicing if you're continually getting it wrong. You'll be practicing doing it wrong, and it will make your job harder. Stop, take a breather, and try again later. Usually it helps me to go over all the major dos and don'ts of spinning bit by bit before I go at it again, so I can identify what's tripping me up.

And THEN.. well. Then you get on the dance floor with an actual partner and forget the whole damn thing. IN that case I like to get to the club early and do some parctice spins and moves containing spins with my partner to see if I can bring to mind all I internalized earlier on. I also do the Edie thing and spin in the bathroom. I go to the club, excuse myself, go the bathroom immediately, do a couple spins in there and check myself out, think "damn, I'm hot. I'm the hottet thing here." and then I go out and have a good time. And there are lots of times still where a spin doesn't go exactly quite right. I've been dancing for 10 months and now I'm starting to get more consistent. Listen to as many teachers as possible and practice as much as is helpful.

I think africana doesn't practice at ALL... that crazy lady.

3. Josh

Josh Active Member

Edie's point was that you shouldn't spin in one direction for a long period of time, because one direction will become more dominant than the other. Spinning in one direction and not doing it right/well (as thespina said) will cause your other side to get worse as well, and doing it in one direction the right/good way will still leave your other side weaker. So, do a couple to the left, then a couple to the right, and repeat. Spin for as long as you want.. just don't do it for a long time in one direction.

Also, you shouldn't be going for quantity here... don't just whip out as many spins in 15 mins as you can... spin, then reset, and do it again (the other direction preferably). Take time between them to line yourself back up. A world champion coach once reminded me that if you can't do something well slowly, it will be difficult if not impossible to do it well at full speed (except for things which require momentum obviously). I'll repeat the basic principle of spinning again: the foundation of a good spin is alignment. Every time you spin and it's not successful, it's because you either started off not lined up properly, or you became unaligned during the spin. So take the time to reset between each one, line up, and then do a nice, easy, clean spin.

4. devane

devane New Member

More than anything , you have to remember than spinning is a complex skill. You are not just mastering a particular move, you are fine-tuning you balance. This requires muscle-memory. This also means it requires time.
    In the beginning I noticed that if a have to spin I had to focus to "perform" the move. My mind would say" Ok,a spin coming up, neutralise your momentum, get your frame....." instead of just spinning. There is lot of things to concentrate on when learning to spin which in turn can hinder your performance.
    So if you can spin at home but in the class/club you can't it just means you need more time. It needs to be in your subconscious for it work. Give it time.
    Like Josh said practicing slow and carefully are important because there is no point programming yourself with sloppy technique, also you need you concentrate on what it feels like when spinning. What I mean is things like being aware of the direction of your momentum, how well you can transfer your weight, are you upright, are you losing your balance. As you get better you will feel when you're going off balance so you can correct it. Listen to your body, it can tell you more than a mirror.
    Sadly in my class I don't get to spin that much.The guy hardly ever spins in my class. But learning to spin has made my posture look great. I feel lighter on my feet also.
    Good luck in your training.

5. esa negrita...

esa negrita... New Member

Thank you so much. I find myself feeling like every woman can spin, but when I think about it, I've only seen three women do it and none do it while actually dancing. Thanks again for the encouragement.

6. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

I meet Edie yesterday (at the salsacongress in Gothenburg).
    She pointed out that you should start the practicing with the direction you manage best. Then the opposite direction. Back to the first one...etc.

The good side learn the bad side how to do it :)

And I finally got an answer how to do if you are lead into a spin without any warning.....start to punch as soon as you can :)

/Luc

7. africana

africana New Member

huh sounds dangerous lol

8. pr

pr New Member

Punch with your free arm in the direction of the spin! ;)

9. africana

africana New Member

yes i'm familar with the technique, own the video. i just find punching unnecessary...

10. hello

hello New Member

I can just visualize a triple spin with accompanying triple jabs to the lead's jaw, hmm, might come in handy on those crowded Sat.-night-dance-floor-and-every-man-age-18-to-62-groping-you-inappropriately nights.:raisebro:

11. africana

africana New Member

:lol: you may have something there

12. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

I have a dancer or two in mind, come to think of it now...