Dancers Anonymous > Yoga instruction

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by africana, Apr 27, 2006.

1. africana

africana New Member

I've recently realized just what an awesome difference the right teacher can make!! been doing yoga for about a year, and only recently did I find reasonable comfort and less pain in some of the common poses like down-dog. even managed some decent headstands, and now I can do some arm balances that i thought were impossible!

i guess I'm wondering if most people get as frustrated with the majority of fitness/yoga teachers?? they don't seem to explain much in terms of physiology or enough detail and modifications so that beginners can get it, and get it safely!

It seems now that I'm taking concepts from these short sessions and applying to the other cheaper but less effective (and longer) yoga classes

2. alemana

alemana New Member

i hear you. i took that hot yoga last weekend and the buff, pumped, hairless, model-ready instructor didn't demonstrate a SINGLE MOVE - he narrated it all in this sing-song voice that said "i have said these words a million times," but for those of us new to the style, it was a joke.

on the other hand, at my local joint, the level of instruction is very high. and at my dirt-cheap ghetto gym, i met a pilates instructor studying for her degree in physical therapy - also very good instruction, in an unlikely place. so it pays to shop around.

3. africana

africana New Member

it's kinda contradictory to the philosophy of yoga that they'd let people suffer like that for so long and hope they one day magically get it!

i'm so so glad to have the morning teacher i have now. breaks EVERY thing down. who knew a chataranga could so be measured? even just the mountain pose means a lot more now

4. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I took my first yoga class this morning at my own ghetto gym. She demonstrated everything, and gave a lot of tips and repeated reminders on proper form. It was a small class, and she walked around a lot to correct people individually. Also gave some alternatives if you didn't feel comfortable with a given pose. I guess I got lucky. :)

5. alemana

alemana New Member

you can't spit without hitting five yoga instructors in new york city, but in my experience only two of them will be good ones.

6. AzureDreamer

AzureDreamer New Member

I've always wanted to try Yoga, but I've always been kind of intimidated by the vast number of different styles out there. I'm not even sure where to begin looking, or what to look for. Any thoughts on different styles? does it really make a difference? where to get information?

7. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

If you're looking for a good one in the city let me know. I know a lindy hopper who is known as Yogabeth. She studies/practices yoga regularly in addition to teaching and is a pheonominal dancer.

8. africana

africana New Member

yes I had several teachers that would do little things like that but compared to this new one I don't consider that long-term helpful because they start the practice without verbally articulating what parts of the anatomy to engage, basically the core mechanics behind what you're trying to accomplish. The result is that I need lots of corrections for a while, and self-analysis was harder because I needed someone else to look and see what I was doing wrong. Now I'm much better at correcting myself, and will be more effective in self-practice

Not saying those were bad teachers, they just were not thorough like this one. They would explain but not with as many analogies or supporting physiological detail.
    And now I wonder why the others teach this way. Can you imagine spending an hour simply analyzing the sternum/breast bone and how you postion it in various asanas? So instead of doing the set of poses a zillion times (like sun salutations), she's breaking down EVERY thing.
    I used to think that I had to endure lower back pain to do the various back bends. Now I know that I don't :) cos her analyzed that too, and I know better technique for those

And she also does a huge variety of unconventional poses, no big choreographed yoga sessions. and I end up not being too tired in her 2 hr classes compared to the other 1 to 1.5 hr classes :cool:

9. africana

africana New Member

maybe you could find a studio that offers different styles?
    one of the places I go does several, but most of it ends up looking like Flow Yoga (including the Power Yoga, Hatha Yoga...) any of those work.

10. skwiggy

While I see your point, I think this is a good class for me to get started in. Nevermind that it's already included in my gym membership. ;) And nevermind that I can't be bothered to think that early in the morning, so I'm happy to just have her tell me how to correct rather than have to figure out how to self correct.

But I agree, as that's how I approach dance. I'd rather be taught how to fish...

Also, I would NEVER endure back pain just to get into the correct pose. I suffer from chronic back problems. As soon as something bothers me, I'll stop. Or just not stretch so far, or whatever. Plus I'm already very adept at the typical things one does to protect the lower back in what might have been a strained position (pelvic tilt, engage abs). So I was just doing that already.

11. africana

africana New Member

ahh that's good!! I have problems with how I use my back. I'm having to unlearn bad habits like caving in my back to make up for not getting other muscles engaged.
    I feel like a beginner but at least I'm learning what not to do at last!

I also love this class cos we use belts, blocks, blankets, rollers, different aids, including working with partners to get things exactly right :)

12. hello

hello New Member

I think bad teachers were probably a result of yoga's popularity. There was, and probably still is, a huge demand for teachers, so people take crash courses, and can teach even if they're not good because enough people will enroll in classes. Hopefully people will wise up, and find quality teachers, or the wannabes will drop out eventually, and the demand will go down. My community ed. classes always lists a bio on the instructor, so people are informed of how long they've taught, who they studied with, etc.

13. skwiggy

So I took another yoga class, this time a much harder one called "Power Yoga", and I'm totally loving it. It's so good for my bad back and sciatica. I'd love to get a DVD so that I can do it sometimes at home. Also, my Dad has terrible back problems. I'm trying to encourage him to try yoga, but he is somewhat resistant. Perhaps if I got him a DVD he might be more willing to try it in the privacy of his home.

Can anyone recommend a good yoga DVD for beginners?

14. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

I have done 2 classes at bikram-only yoga studio. I think not demonstrating a move is part of this specific type of yoga. The instructor rather move around the class (average 30 people) and correct postures and give advice. Lot better (probably safer) than demonstrating the moves.
    Both had the certificates from bikram college of india.

For those considering taking a class, you need to know that your listening skills will be tested along with your balance/flexibility/strength. Both instructors were very clear in their instruction on what to do and what not to do. Beginner level instruction as well as advanced voice instruction for everyone. The beginners are taught the first breathing exercise before class.

I am a very visual person but found the classes ok. Their were enough advanced students in class so that i can peek at them if i were really unsure about what to do. Beginners were also told to stand at back of class so that instructor can pay special attention on certain poses, when you need to look at pose but not do the first time around.

Take lot more water than you think you would need.

15. blue

blue New Member

Yoga can mean pretty much anything from pure meditation to advanced gymnastic stuff, only static forms or in sequences.. If anyone knows a good web site on styles available, please share it with me but sure it also depends a lot on the teacher. Personally I would be very suspicious at yoga teachers at gyms, and not expect them to know much but I am sure there are exceptions.

The yoga I did for a while was Iyengar yoga, and I found it good physical training although true yoga, not a yoga-aerobics-mix. It was better before the teacher starting to mix with other yoga styles... I liked the preciseness of Iyengar yoga.

16. deewoman

deewoman New Member

Not here in northwest Arkansas. The quality of teaching here is very high. One class I attended wasn't so good--it was at a local gym and was only 30 minutes. That's way too short to learn anything! I ended going back to a studio in Fayetteville where I'd been before. I was recovering from a back injury at the time, and that class was taught by two instructors. Knowing I'd been hurt before, the owner of the studio (who was one of the teachers) spent that whole first class by my side showing me any modifications I could use to prevent re-injury. That was a level 1-2 class. I started practicing every day at home and moved up to the level 2-3 class.
    Good for you getting into yoga--it's wonderful! Way to go on the headstands and arm balances--I'm not there yet. Just haven't developed the upper body strength.

17. deewoman

deewoman New Member

This one: Yoga for Everyone by Andrea Fournet. She has a show here on local cable access. She's really great.

http://www.aryoga.com/

Scroll down the page to see info about the dvd/vhs tape.

18. icering

icering New Member

there's no such thing as a ineffective learner...only ineffective teachers.

19. skwiggy

I didn't see this until today. Thank you so much!

I've been really enjoying the yoga classes at my gym, but they often don't fit into my schedule. It will be nice to have an at-home alternative when I can't sync up to their schedule.