General Dance Discussion > Yoga Vs. Pilates

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by GeorgiaDancer06, Jul 9, 2006.

1. GeorgiaDancer06

GeorgiaDancer06 New Member

I know there are a ton of threads about exercise and dance, so if my question is answered elsewhere please just point me in the direction of the thread!!

In working to gain the strength, flexibility, and look for ballroom and latin, will pilates or yoga be the most beneficial? Or both?
    I'm doing classes through the local YMCA, so I can take as many classes as I want, it just might mean that I have to skip a dance class or two. Would it be worth it? Or should I just do one (yoga or pilates)... and if so, which is best?

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I think they are both extremally benefitial.. I try to do the classes as frequently as I can.. I've done a lot more yoga than pilates but that's just because I've had better time finding good yoga classes.. I think if you can take as many as you want, I would recommend doing both.. I think they both help with alignment, posture, core strenghth, balance and flexibility...

And you're right, there are tons of threads about yoga/pilates, I'm sure people will point you in the right direction

3. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

I would say to try both classes to see which you prefer and which has a better teacher and to go from there. Yoga and pilates are both excellent, but it depends on what you want personally and what will suit you better.

4. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

You should try both. Depends alot on the instructor/classes available.
    I enjoy pilates more than yoga but I do it in a class and the instructor is very good. I find pilates alone/using a dvd extremely boring.
    I managed to do yoga using a book for a while, but I reached my maximum limits on my own and I felt that I needed an instructor so I could go further.
    But as far as I know there are also many types of Yoga, so you'd have to investigate that too.

5. leftthebuilding

leftthebuilding New Member

I cannot make yoga anymore so I do pilates. It is pilates class today, YAY!

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

gyrotonic has been called "yoga for dancers", and many formerly rabid pilates instructors and practitioners are transitioning over to gyro instruction & practice.

i've done yoga, done pilates, done gyro... if i had to choose, gyro gets my vote over the other two for a variety of reasons.

fwiw, gyrotonic uses equipment, and gyrokinesis is a way to use the principles/exercises of gyrotonic with just a chair or floor mat. so there are two options in that camp.

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi GeorgiaDancer06! It is very important to do some strengthening and basic workout besides your dancing. But the question is not whether Pilates or Yoga, the question is, how good and experienced the instructor actually is!

As a patriot, I would recommend Pilates, because this system was invented at the Hamburg Opera especially for professional dancers before Pilates moved to NY. But what usually sailes beneath the label Pilates today is very often not worth the name. So better take a close look at either class. By the way, today Gyrotonic is taught at the ballet school of the Hamburg Opera.

wr. from Hamburg
    OD

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lucky them. :)

also, gyrotonic was invented by an injured ballet dancer seeking to restore his spinal health, with an emphasis on core strength and the kind of rotational movement natural to the body.

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

signed up for my first gyrotonic class for next week!

10. mop6686

mop6686 Member

I agree, try both.

IMO, they're both great for the body, but yoga is rooted a little more in spiritual practice. Pilats barre is ballet mixed with pilates. Or try yogalates!

11. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Oooh, enjoy; I would love to hear what you think. I find it extremely useful.

12. Larinda McRaven

I also started going here

crossfitnewton.com/videos

13. v22TTC

v22TTC New Member

Gah, I'm about the least superficial dude on Earth, but I'm super-interested in gyrotonic... just because it's such a cool, Sci-Fi-sounding word....:oops:

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

very cool

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

did a very challenging hot yoga class tonight and this thread crossed my mind, once during and then as i was leaving and feeling so light, relaxed, and energized. i think there are some excellent options and additions to straight pilates & hatha yoga, each with its benefit. lots to explore, for variety and their unique gifts.

one thing i really enjoy about yoga is how it takes you to the edge of your limitations and allows you to breathe thru them... breathe oxygen into parts of your body that may not get activated quite that way at any other time. and staying there, with equanimity, creates the capacity for deeper stillness. i need more of that. :)

kundalini yoga, which is different from hatha-style yogas in that it has repetitive movements rather than poses which are held, is great for the nervous system, for strengthening the legs and heart, and increasing flexibility of the spine and core strength. and the creator of gyro has a kundalini yoga background, which i believe deeply influenced his use of the breath in gyro.

when it comes to pilates floor exercises, i usually opt instead for callanetics. still haven't found anything that's better on the floor than that stuff, which is tied to the "the bar method" and "the lotte berke method" in origin. personally, i do any of these three before hitting up pilates.

16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of visiting a yoga class, a close friend suggested the "hot" session style, samina - question - exactly how "hot" degrees wise does the room get?

17. Larinda McRaven

"Hot yoga" is very warm, usually around 95-100 degrees, and is a generic term for yoga in a hot room. Bikram yoga is supposed to be at 105 with a humidity of 40%.

18. Angelo

Angelo Member

Does crossfit still refer to Uncle Rhabdo or Pukey the clown?

19. Larinda McRaven

:shock: not that i have heard yet... ???

20. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

So is that a Zone or Paleo crossfit?