General Dance Discussion > Yoga Vs. Pilates

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by GeorgiaDancer06, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

2. Angelo

Angelo Member

Hopefully you will never encounter them, either in reference or experience.

3. Larinda McRaven

google..... :shocked:
    well I have no problem setting boundaries and limits and will quite happily sit down with a defiant smile on my face rather than get to that point.

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

varies, you should ask the host. i think where i take it is 85-95 depending on the instructor... one is far more challenging, and even puts the fans on much very low so you feel it more. with another instructor, it is just cozy-warm, with the heat not very challenging in itself. with her class, i will sweat constantly, but not as profusely as with the other, where i cannot take the class without an added "yoga towel" on top of the mat because my dripping sweat makes a grip on the mat impossible. attractive...:rolleyes:

but "bikram" style yoga is *very* hot, more like a sauna... some contend dangerously so, while others are rabidly devoted to the style. i have never tried it. it would be too much for me at this level of my ability...and perhaps at any level.

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

have you done bikram, larinda? if so, did you like it? how did you find the experience...

6. Larinda McRaven

Actually... Yes I do like it. The only thing that keeps me from doing it more is that they are hell bent on every pose being a pole straight leg and locked knee. There is no such thing as a straight but soft knee. They actually say "Lock it. Pull it in tight. Straight like a lamp post." And to me that is the absolutely the worst thing for my knees and my chondra malacia. Other than that I love it and if I had a studio (with a shower) close to work I would do it several times a week. As it is now I simply go on a day off once in awhile.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

well, that is actually very encouraging to hear... aside from the straight leg business. i shall bear that in mind. but at the moment, i'm so not ready to try it out. i think i would collapse from that degree at heat.

8. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

i really enjoyed pilates and felt it helped but must admit i never tried yoga. I only stopped pilates because of difficulty finding affordable classes on during convenient times (i have a long commute daily, which takes a lot of time out of my day).