General Dance Discussion > You Can't Dance Here!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by cocodrilo, Dec 4, 2004.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I went to a wine tasting tonight, an event I have attended annually with numerous friends for the past 5 years or so. The tasting is held in a not-so-large banquet room, yet it is far from cramped. They play no music, which to me is kind of a bummer(some soft jazz would go perfectly!)..Anyhow, I was discussing the basics of salsa with a couple of friends and to demonstrate, my friend & I did a couple of basics followed by a spin(on my part) and a couple of rumba moves. THEN, the sponsor-person of the event came up to my friend(who was dancing with me) and told her "This is not a dance hall. Please refrain from dancing as it will inconvenience the other guests". After hearing this I was shocked, as we were not showing off nor making a scene(compared to folks getting drunk, falling down and breaking glassware at the table next to ours) and I wanted to confront the person who told us to stop dancing. I refrained, fortunately, from telling te guy off when we left, as I figured he was a shy little being who knows not the meaning of FUN(although he has some kick-knat wines), yet this somehow turned a screw in my friend & I , wondering if everyone in western Japan is as anal as that. Have you ever been told to stop dancing? If so, what was the situation?

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I've never seen that here, even when the "dancers" are just drunk, obnoxious people getting in everyone's way.

Maybe it's a cultural difference? :?

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Uptight Japanese?

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Not had this problem myself...And I'll danec anywhere and everywhere. I have no shame.

5. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Could this be confirmation of the basic premise of "Shall We Dance?" That in Japanese society partner dancing in public is unacceptable conduct, even shocking to the others present. Perhaps it would be almost analogous to a similar event being held in the US or Europe and one female guest starts to demonstrate to a friend some of the moves she's learning in her "exotic" dance class -- minus the removal of articles of clothing, of course.

In a similar situation, our minister and his wife were holding an ice cream at their house. My wife and I had been away from our beginning salsa classes for a while and West Coast was in our near future. We were off to the side talking with some other guests and the subject of dancing came up, to which my wife mentioned our having taken salsa. The other guest had never seen it danced so we demonstrated the basic and a few simple moves to her. Our minister and his group saw this and suddenly we heard them applauding us. Then he announced his delight that people were having so much fun there that they spontaneously started dancing.

6. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

ditto what Sagitta said! and by "anywhere", I mean anywhere there is music playing, I'm usually moving some part of my body or practicing a step. It's not something I can control! :lol:

I think it was kind of odd not to have music playing at a wine tasting, thoughl Maybe their culture is big on conversation????

7. sanityhaven

sanityhaven New Member

hmmm....maybe it was just the nature of the event? Perhaps dancing disrupted the "atmosphere" of it?

Come to think of it, there was actually one time in Vegas when I got kicked out of a lounge for swing dancing.

8. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Kind of going out on a limb here - but is there a chance this person found dancing to be a religious taboo (for himself and/or others present)?

9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I too, dance anywhere and anytime, at any given whim! I have been applauded numerous times, had people ask me about what kind of dance I am doing and even people stand behind me following the steps! (Mind you these are usually situations when music is playing, which gets me moving to begin with!)

Now that I have stopped stewing in my juices, I think something along the lines of what Sanityhaven said might be the case. Maybe the guy didn't want us "disrupting the atmosphere".