Dancers Anonymous > You have been married how long???

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I recently met a couple who will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this year :shock:

He is 72, the wife is "younger" :lol: as he put it. Neither of them looked it, but, that is besides the point. :wink:

I was surprised but also very pleased, from the tips of my hair to the tips of my toes! I think it is very rare these days to hear of couples being married for 20 years let alone 50.

I guess, it just goes to show that it can and does happen. :D

2. Laura

Laura New Member

It will be 10 years for Hubby-san and me in September!

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Congrats Laura!! :cheers:

4. emanuela

emanuela New Member

It will be the infamous 7 years next month :argue:
    Emanuela

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Although she makes it feel like we were married just months ago, it's actually been four years :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D, oh, did I mention I'm :D

. . . and she knows I'm a BIG FLIRT!

6. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I've never been married, nor do I intend to get married in the near future! :twisted:

7. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I know a couple who celebrated their 60th anniversary just before the husband passed away...

My guess is that people who are celebrating their golden anniversary now are from the generation for whom marriage is very much "till death do us part". There was a huge stigma attached to divorce then. 30-40 years down the line, there will be a lot less people celebrating 50 years of marriage than now.

Sorry to be a cynic... :(

8. squirrel

squirrel New Member

MacMoto... you are not being cynical... just realistic! IMO...

A joke:

A very old couple were sitting at the kitchen table. She was knitting something and he was reading the newspaper. Suddenly, she raises her arm and punches her husband right in the face. He looks at her amazed and asks: "What was that for?" She replies: "For 50 years of lousy sex!"
    The husband sits down, picks up the newspaper and starts reading again. But shortly he raises his arm and punches the wife in the face. It's her turn to ask in awe: "Now, what was THAT for?" The husband replies: "How do you know the difference between good sex and lousy sex?"

See, in those times, there were rules... and the access to information was much slower and painful... women were excluded more than today... The man was the GOD! Women were supposed to obey!... That has changed a little, right? ;)

9. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I'll have 14 years in this October.

10. Sabor

Sabor New Member

51 years here :lol:

11. emanuela

emanuela New Member

... somebody must have switched the digits ... :raisebro:

12. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

I think that is so true. My parents have been married almost 63 years and are happy enough. But I wonder if they would have stuck through the bad times if, say my mom had a job and had not needed dad for support. When women had no choice, marriages lasted.

I have been married almost 15 years. I had the choice when I got out of a bad first marriage (although it took me 23 years to do it!)

13. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

30 years here. It gets better every year. :D

14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Shin & I will celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary in July! And he sez he still loves me!(I asked him 'cause he was wondering what I was typing!) 8)

15. Laura

Laura New Member

People are also marrying later. Getting married at 18 makes it pretty easy to live long enough to celebrate 50 years. I got married at 30 1/2, which means I'll be 80 1/2 on my 50th wedding anniversary. Given the genetics in my family, I might not live that long. Three of my grandparents all died before 75. One lived to 84.

16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

It's not quantity(years), it's quality(LOVE!) that counts in a marriage! 8)

17. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

:applause:

(so does that mean that we don't care how long we've been married, but how crazy we were to each other at the begining of the marriage? :? )

18. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

My parents celebrated their 50th anniversary a year before my father died.

My in-laws celebrated their 51st anniversary last December.

We've been married 28 years and might clock over to 29 years if the divorce drags out to mid-July (ie, if the whole process ends up taking 11 months, which I doubt).

Tja.

19. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:roll: :roll: :tongue: and when did WE get married??? :tongue: :lol:

Congratulations to all of you, whether it is four weeks, four years, 51 years :wink: or 100 years.

I think, aside from the financial independence/education of women, society has changed. Therefore, whilst I am not saying it is right, men would have their mistresses and the wife would pretend she didn't know (and perhaps even vice versa eg. our "future" King of England, Prince Charles and his former long term mistress but now turned fiancee, Camilla Parker Bowles).

Also, the demands on couples especially where children are involved and the corresponding lack of support, eg in-laws/siblings near by to help with childcare etc etc does not help matters.

As someone mentioned, the stigma of divorce has changed and reality television is not helping!

I wonder what the success rate for the "old fashioned" match makers would be, compared to today's relationship successes?

20. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

In Japan, the divorce rate is equaling that of the US these days! Women are fed up and they're not going to take it anymore! Also, a recent poll stated that 75% of all the single women in Japan are happy with their single lifestyles. Arranged marriages("omiai" in Japanese) over here tend to have a longer success rate as the couples are marrying for reasons other than love. (Security, to have a partner, to raise a family, etc) Most young people nowadays hope for love marriages in the future. There is no longer such a stigma about being single(20 years ago, when I first came to Japan, if you were near 30 and still single, people thought there was something wrong with you! :shock: )