Dancers Anonymous > You have been married how long???

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I think some women still feel a pressure/stigma to be married - I have met a few very "successful" women in terms of their careers yet, based on what they said, I got the impression that they felt they were nothing, unless they had a husband. :(

I can understand the desire for a love marriage. Arranged marriages do have a "bad reputation" in that if you mention "arranged marriage" to someone, they will most likely think of it being a forced marriage. This is sadly true in some cases.

I have also heard of "modern" arranged marriages where the man and woman are matched up (not as in a dating agency), they go out a few times (family backgrounds/checks are carried out to "ensure" compatibility) and then if the couple like each other, they marry. I have read a few articles where some have said that they like this because it takes some (a lot?!?) of the pressure out of dating/trying to meet someone for love.

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

For me, it was tremendous fun dating way back when! :roll:
    I wouldn't give up my history of boy-hunting for ANYTHING! Darn that was a fun time in my life. But that's just another period- I had to go through so many guys before I finally found the one that was right for me(or the one that could tolerate me! :lol: ).

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I have seen this happen successfully. :)

4. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Member

I met Rita 9-1/2 years ago. I was a widower who became an empty nester when my youngest daughter married, joining the ranks of her two older sisters. I reluctantly went to a singles dance that was being used to set us up. Actually we met before they had a chance to set us up when I noticed her sitting at a table and asked her to dance. Since that night we have never went one day without speaking to each other, at least on the phone.
    Jan 18 of this year we celebrated eight years of marriage.
    [​IMG]

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

woo hoo to a successful relationship after meeting through dance! :banana:

6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

That's nice! :D

7. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Ok ... but I don't believe I can wait for you. ;)

8. DancePoet

Not only are the digits reversed, since he's not married it must be his age. ;) :lol:

9. DancePoet

And with romance like that, it might just keep going. :D

10. DancePoet

Congrats to Laura, emanuela, Vince A, mamboqueen, swingolder, Kansas49er, and Keith & Rita!

May your's all keep moving forward in a healthy fashion!

Oh ... and me, I've never been married. Asked a lady once who I'd been seeing for 10 years, but she told me a month later she couldn't go through with it. Yet it was probably for the best. :)

So ... anyone interested in trying to make it 50 years with me? ;)

11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Actually, he's too scared to file for divorce! :twisted: :lol:

12. DancePoet

Give the guy some credit for at least trying. ;) :lol:

13. ArmySwingMan

ArmySwingMan New Member

Years

My wife and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary last October and our third is coming up soon. I was home this year and I was gone to Bosnia the year before. Now my next "unknown" mission will probably take me away for another two years or possibly more. That means my wife and I have been together a total of 12 months out of what will probably be 48 when I come home.

Yes, it's a strain on what we have but we're being strong about it. Who knows what may become of me when I come home. I'm not quite I like the idea of taking Ectasy to battle Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder but we'll see how it goes.

14. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Well, I hope you don't get sent to you-know-where, ASM. And I feel for you on the separation. It's got to be so difficult on both of you. My brother was in the Army for 12 years (and during the first Gulf War was in Iraq and Kuwait). Please keep us posted, if you can. And THANK YOU for all you do for the rest of us who live (and dance!) freely.

And BTW, if you get sent to I or A, let me know. My son's class parcipates in a program where we "adopt" a soldier. I think our current one, who is in Afg., will be coming back in June.

15. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

My thanks, also, to ArmySwingMan, for all you (and your wife) have sacrificed for our country. May God keep you safe and bless you for your commitment.

My husband and I have been married for 30 1/2 years. We went into it with the notion that divorce would never be an option for us. I used to wonder why people who had been married for 20+ years would get divorced but I am beginning to understand now! So much changes after the kids are grown and new opportunities are there to explore, especially after the wife being home for 25+ years with the children, as I was! If you are not committed to that other person and the marriage 100% it would be very easy to say that it was time to move on.

16. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

We also have been married 30+ years. And yes, there is a HUGE change when the children leave home (well, sort of........seems like they never quite leave......) :lol: . However, it can also be more fun, in a different way, than you've ever had together. Last year we went to Cancun for our Anniverssary. We began taking WCS dance lessons. We truly spend more time together, and have a better time, than when the kids were home. Somewhat by design, we spend a great deal of attention to our kids when they were home, sublimating our own things to a degree, waiting for this time. It worked out great! We had a great time as a family, but never lost connection with each other. Now, we are having a blast, even if we are often broke after chasing around doing crazy stuff. Last year my wife gave me a 1/2 hour flight with the top gun flight school thing. Make me sick as hell, but what a trip! We dance together, we compete together, we even practice together. We also have our own things, but we are each other's best friends! We still have disagreements, don't get me wrong. it's jus a great time. I guess what I was trying to say in all that, was that is indeed time to move on. Time to move on to a fantastic time in a married couples life! IMHO

17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I know that you're atheist, DWise1, but I'll still pray for you during the next few months. Things may be rough, but I know you'l make it through. And perhaps, even if my prayers don't make it through to you, my positive thoughts will. 8)

My Mom and Dad just celebrated their fifty-sixth wedding aniversary.

My grandparents (on my Dad's side) were married seventy-eight years when my granddad died at age 98 (two months shy of his 99th birthday.)

My thought? They were nuts to put up with each other that long!! :shock: :lol: :lol:

18. DancePoet

Maybe they were totally in love! :D

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. Golly, I loved them. :cry: :D No. I watched them for years. They weren't "in love" in the sappy TV-movie kind of love. But they loved each other deeply, in a gruff, sarcastic, knowing, but accepting kind of way. It's hard to describe, but I'm thankful to have seen it in action. 8)

20. DancePoet

I didn't mean sappy, your desciption is nice! :D