Dancers Anonymous > You have been married how long???

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Mar 1, 2005.

1. squirrel

squirrel New Member

DP - please don't wait for me! ;)

2. Medira

Medira New Member

I'm not married, but I still have a lot of time if I ever come across that right circumstances. I don't have a lot of hope for it because I tend to have disasters instead of relationships, but if the opportunity presents itself, there's no way I'd pass it up.

My parents are about 4 weeks shy of 27 years of marriage. They have a similar sarcastic, knowing, accepting kind of love that it sounds like you were describing, pygmalion. They're so supportive of each other and they really are each other's best friend. It's enviable to see.

Congratulations to everybody out there who has found that someone. :)

3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

High fives to all of you who have made it so long. 30 years is quite impressive!

It bodes well for you that you saw this whilst growing up! You have a good model to base your experiences on. I'm sure when the time comes....(you just remember to invite good ol' Aunt Mamboqueen, k??!!)

4. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

It will be five years for us come September. :)

5. Medira

Medira New Member

I'll be the first to admit that I really am very lucky. :)

Hehehe, you'd probably have fun at a wedding involving my family. Though not having any formal ballroom training (at least not in my lifetime) about half of my mother's side of the family comes from a musical theatre background. My aunt used to own a dance studio, which is why I started dancing when I was 2. My ballroom instructor thinks that's why I'm picking things up so quickly during our lessons. :D

6. mamboqueen

It DOES sound like a fun wedding. Ugh...I hate to say it, but there's nothing worse than going to a wedding and people don't dance. I HATE sitting in my chair while good music is playing (I'll usually just "adopt a bandmember" if it gets that bad!). Anyway, what kind of food are we talking....and then I'll divulge my gift :eek:

P.S. Are you of Portugese descent? Just asking because of your "name."

7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Gosh, you would hate the weddings in Japan. People sing karaoke, get smashed on cheap alcohol, listen to sappy speeches and usually give a cash wedding gift of over $200 to attend. I used to LOVE weddings in America, but I get migraines at the ones here. Nobody dances, unless it's some kind of performance. :?

8. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

I have a couple of nephews each getting married this spring. So that means two weddings to go to where I can actually dance instead of sitting watching and wishing, like in my pre-dance days. Something to really look forward to!

9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

That's nice! Have fun! :D

10. mamboqueen

Hmmm...sounds kind of entertaining actually. I can envision it now....My Big Karaoke Japanese Wedding....*LOL*

I have a very good friend who is a karaoke junkie (we don't tell her she's tone deaf...*LOL*) and you pretty much have to get a crowbar between her and the microphone. I find it more fun to watch events like that, than people who are actually serious singers!

11. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Well, I believe I've been either rebuked or at least given permission to look elsewhere. :(

Ok ... would anyone else appreciate if I waited for them? Wouldn't that be romantic? 8)

12. DancePoet

Medira, know what you want and don't settle. Look for someone who is comfortable feeling their feelings, telling even the smallest of truths, and upholding their commitments. Someone who understands how to love another conciously, and can get past all the unconcious behaviour patterns most people let get in the way of having a healthy long term partnership.

13. Pacion

Pacion New Member

ditto what DP said Medira. In addition, try not to view your past relationships as "disasters". Try and see them as "practice sessions" because without those, it is difficult to know for sure what you do or don't want, what you can or can't tolerate.

I read recently that the mistakes are not in the action of trying, but in NOT trying at all! :D

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

ditto!!

15. Medira

Medira New Member

That sounds like an absolute dream. I have some close friends who are like that, but that's where the chemistry ends. If I could find somebody like that where the chemistry is more than just at a friendship level, I would be in heaven.

Hehehe, sorry Pacion. I don't know what else to use as a term when they have all ended in restraining orders or other such legal action, or with me in the hospital. Sadly, there has been no exception to that. If it was a "regular" relationship then it would be a different story. It makes it worse because they were all friends before we started dating...so the thought of getting out there and looking to date again scares the wits right out of me. I value my life too much.

16. DancePoet

I encourage you to buy a book called "Concious Loving", read it, learn from it, and talk about while using it's ideas at the very beginning of a relationship. If the new SO won't co-operate, find a different one. ;)

Medira, this sounds horrible. I would seriously consider talking with a counselor to determine what is attracting you to people who you must put a restraining order on or end up in a hospital over. This is not safe, and before you enter another relationship please try to figure out what is happening, and I suspect you could find someone out there that could help. Good luck!

17. Medira

Medira New Member

I have been for a while now actually, and the general consensus seems to be that I'm just too trusting of people and I try so hard to find the good in a person that I've grown to care about or a situation that arises, that I do so at the expense of myself. I grew to care about them as friends before I started to date them. That's the thing. The shortest period of time for said friendships was a little over 2 years. Everything was great until we moved on from friendship. It's just frustrating...

So, for now, my dance partner is the only man in my life and I'm quite content with that staying only on the dance floor.

...and thanks for the book recommendation. I'll definitely look into it.

18. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Another good one I am told, is "Women who love too much". Best of luck Medira and hopefully you will one day find the loving relationship you deserve.

19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Ditto!

20. Pacion

Pacion New Member

A former Prime Minister of the UK, Lord Callaghan, passed away this weekend, on the eve of his 93rd birthday.

He died just 11 days after his wife of 67 years, Audrey.