General Dance Discussion > You Know you are Addicted to Dancing when...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Apr 13, 2003.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

In backpacking training, we were told that a very common injury when a hiker falls down a slope/off a rock is for both arms to be broken, especially the forearms, because everybody sticks their arms out in front of them to break their fall. Common defensive action.

In my Aikido training, we would take a "head long" fall by extending one arm out to blend with the ground so that we could go into a shoulder roll. One day when I had finished emptying the back of a pick up into a trash bin, I jumped down to the ground. My pants leg got snagged on something and suddenly I was heading head-down onto the asphalt. Without panicking, without even having to think (which is probably why I didn't panic), I extended my arm, blended with the ground, and went into a shoulder roll that ended with me popping upright onto my feet.

A dance friend who has done a lot of ballroom described a situation in which it was her dance training involving aerials that saved her from damage in a fall. So it doesn't matter exactly where we get the training from. It has been more than 40 years since my Aikido training, so I cannot credit it for my recent save for one main reason: my reaction was nothing like we had done in my Aikido training. Mainly, I credit "body sense", which we can learn from so many different sources, in which I could tell that my balance had been compromised and that I had to take action.

Along those same lines, I find that I react much more quickly to near collisions with other people than should be normal (ie, non-dancer), avoiding such with footwork instead of being flat-footed. I think that is learned from practicing floorcraft. Of course, when I slip past somebody with a travelling turn, then I might be pushing it a bit.

ocean-daughter and j_alexandra like this.
  2. LDD

LDD Member

Yeah, I treat this as a game even, especially in crowded places! When walking against people who're coming at you at an opposite direction, it's real fun to turn, slide, side-step etc around them ;)

ocean-daughter likes this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

when the power goes out at your home at 6am so you drive a total of 8 hours roundtrip in a blizzardwarning for 3 1/2 lessons and you aren't sorry...and let me just point out that I have mellowed and am still slightly burnt out...so if that doesn't scare you, I'm not sure what will....

4. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Though in pre-dance days, I would treat that as an Aikido exercise.

Just the other day, a partner (salsa) mentioned that two bodies cannot occupy the same space at the same time, and I invoked the Illusion of Dance, which applies some enormous amount of time (eg, "90% of dance is illusion", or whatever percentage we may apply). I maintained that many dances require that.

j_alexandra likes this.
  5. Tomio Dance

Tomio Dance New Member

Dancing all time like crazy.

6. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I didn't drive 8 hours, but was crazy enough to drive 2 hours in snow so I would make my 2 hours of dance class today...also everyone else showed up as well and no one cancelled....so pro had a full day of work during a snow day....I don't know what this says about us dancers

debmc likes this.
  7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Lol! We had news announcements to stay off the streets ( snow is scary in the south), yet all of us students showed up for our lessons!

Rhythmdancer likes this.
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have driven to lessons on days when local students cancelled:rolleyes:

Loki, debmc and Rhythmdancer like this.
  9. blandband

blandband New Member

When you do a Kevin bacon-slide everytime you only wear socks.

btw, anyone knows what this dance step is called?

imgur. com/maRo9uL

j_alexandra and cornutt like this.
  10. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

When you contemplate a raise at work, wondering if this raise will put you in the next tax bracket, and how much would the raise need to be before you break even if you did push into the next tax bracket, and ultimately, how will that affect the money I have to spend on dancing....

#firstworldproblems #trulyblessed

11. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

This seems to assume that the next tax bracket applies to all income, including what you are receiving now. In reality, the next tax bracket only applies (if at all) to your increase in income.

12. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

To the part of the increase in your income that is in the next tax bracket.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  13. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Would love it if you could deduct expenses from dancing as part of your income. I believe you can from college up to 5200 USD/yr.

14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Find an MD who'll prescribe ballroom as therapy. You'll have to exceed the 7.5% AGI or whatever it is, but that shouldn't be too difficult

15. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I'm still looking for the MD who will prescribe dancing as part of my therapy.

Also, you know you are addicted to dancing when you hire a new trainer to get you in better shape for rounds as you prepare for your next comp (notice I didn't say to get in better shape for the comp itself....that's how you know it is an addiction lol)

16. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

From IRS pub 502:

"Dancing Lessons
    You cannot include in medical expenses the cost of dancing lessons, swimming lessons, etc., even if they are recommended by a doctor, if they are only for the improvement of general health."

You (or your accountant) might be able to make an argument for it as part of prescribed therapy for a specific condition, but frankly I still think it would be a stretch given that it is explicitly mentioned as an exclusion...

Joe likes this.
  17. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Last weekend I started cheering after my lesson because I realized I had worn through the satin on the heels of my dance shoes...

cornutt, scullystwin42 and SDsalsaguy like this.
  18. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Man, when that happened, I ran around and told Everyone! I was so excited :)

j_alexandra likes this.
  19. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

You downgrade your cable package twice inside of a year, and now find yourself giving some serious thought to giving it up entirely.

You kick off a month-long decluttering project to get your spare room in rentable condition in order to fund your dance habit. (<< This one is huge for me. I seriously value my personal space... but the rental dollars will go a long way. And the tenant I've found seems great... and it's only a 4 month committment, so I can see how it goes.)

You get mad at your pro when he makes plans to travel to see his coach on an upcoming holiday, 'cause it means no lessons for you that day... but you still plan on spending most of the day in the studio.

You come through the leather of your practice shoes, and get really emotional when you have to say good bye to them. They were the first pair of ballroom shoes I ever bought, and we've been through a lot together! *Sniff*

Dancing Irishman and j_alexandra like this.
  20. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

You get angry when the studio adds four more group classes, smack in the middle of "your" weekend practice time. Aka, the only time there is enough floor space to really work. Sigh. Maybe no one will show and the classes won't run.

I need an alcoholic beverage.