General Dance Discussion > You Know you are Addicted to Dancing when...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Apr 13, 2003.

1. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Or a break??? Coach out of town or has scheduling conflicts coming up, studio less available for practice, and you were feeling burned out. So maybe this is your chance for a bit of a break. ;)

2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I'm more on the 'well, if I can't do it with your support, I'll just got it alone' end of the spectrum. With the studio now booked out for groups from 9:30-3 and 6-8 on Sat, I'm giving serious consideration to 7am.

3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

My dad used to drag his butt out of bed for golf that early on Saturday mornings (he is NOT a morning person) so I have faith you can do it! Granted, you may end up napping while watching sports on TV in the afternoon like he did.

FancyFeet likes this.
  4. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

...watching a movie and seeing two people hug with their heads to the right makes you cringe visibly.

IndyLady, dancelvr, Joe and 2 others like this.
  5. WalterW

WalterW New Member

You know someone's addicted to ballroom dancing (well, competitively) when they absent-mindedly pin their marathon/race number tag on the back instead of front.

Sania, cornutt, SwayWithMe and 3 others like this.
  6. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

We have a big Astroturf section in the showroom at work that sometimes gets kinked or a corner turned. I lost my balance leaning down too fast to straighten it one day and realized what I'd done when I was about halfway through the roll. Considering it's on concrete, that would have really hurt since I would have fallen pretty much right on top of my head.

One of my coworkers who took BJJ for a while complimented me on my form.

As for dancing addiction, when grandma was dying in the hospital, she asked if some of the wires and IVs could be unhooked long enough for one last waltz. When they told her granddad would pretty much have to carry her, she asked if they could do it "after it doesn't matter anymore." Unfortunately, granddad was in no condition to even stand, much less dance when it got to that point.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  7. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

When you develop a non-preference for mermaid-style dresses (e.g. form-fitting down to just above knees before flaring out), even if they look good on the wearer, because they are impossible to dance in (particularly smooth dances).

j_alexandra and MaggieMoves like this.
  8. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

When you wear your black practice dresses out dancing... Pretty much all the time because nothing works better, and you don't need to worry about flashing out mooning people. :D

I usually wear something like this:
    [​IMG]

ocean-daughter likes this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

hard to do smooth in that............:cool:

10. MaggieMoves

The bottom is actually really flexible, so it isn't.

11. Jay Howard

Jay Howard New Member

Your walking though a store with your wife and you hear a song and look at each other and say, you could dance the Rumba to this. And then you proceed to dance some Rumba steps right there in the aisle and you don't care what people think.

12. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

Try teaching a random carhop foxtrot basics because Sonic has really good background music one night and you've got nobody else to dance with.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  13. MaggieMoves

oneTWOthreeFOURfiveSIXsevenEIGHT :dancingbanana:

14. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

You get unreasonably excited your new apartment has a floor to ceiling mirror facing an open space. Hello practice mirror!

SDsalsaguy likes this.
  15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I actually moved into one place for exactly this reason! ;)

16. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

My almost floor-to-ceiling mirror is in the upstairs hallway... right at the top of the stairs. I'm very careful when I use it. There's plenty of space as long as I remember where I am. o_O

17. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Some years ago the oldest daughter of a couple that we're friends with had stage 4 ovarian cancer. We went to visit her in the hospital. She knows we're dancers -- I had shown her the waltz basic while she was in high school. She had been living away from home before her cancer was diagnosed, and I wasn't aware of this, but apparently she had been doing a lot of dancing. Anyway, she wanted me to dance WCS with her. This was a cancer patient who could barely talk or move her limbs. Her family helped her get her feel on the floor and stand. She had wires and IV tubes and stuff trailing behind her. Nobody had any music so I just counted it. I took her hand and started a sugar push, and all of a sudden she was a dancer again. We did sugar pushes and left side passes, which was about all we could do on account of all of the stuff attached to her. Her hair was gone, her body was bloated, she could barely talk, but she was balanced on her feet and she danced very well, considering. After about five minutes, she was winded, so we hugged and then her mom helped me put her back in bed.

I told her I'd come back tomorrow afternoon and I'd bring some music with me. But I didn't get the chance. She died the next morning. I did and still do feel privileged that I was her last dance partner.

18. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Oof, thank goodness I work in a private cubicle and I keep a box of Kleenex at my desk.

Sania and cornutt like this.
  19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Dabbing my eyes. ..dang allergies lol not. Best story ever thanks for sharing

Loki and cornutt like this.
  20. DoubleBurt

DoubleBurt Member

When your top stations on Pandora switch from:

Pre-Dance:
    Zeppelin
    Beatles
    Dvorjak

To

Post-Dance:
    Salsa
    Tango
    Rat Pack

Loki, j_alexandra and MaggieMoves like this.