Salsa > You know you have improved when.......

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by salsachinita, Nov 15, 2004.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

That is, if you can... :lol:

2. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

You start receiving free passes to salsa venues. 8)

3. Vin

Vin New Member

An out of town salsera asks you to dance for her first dance, and she is awesome.
    You ask someone you don't know to dance, they refuse, then you see them looking upset after they see you dance with someone else.

4. tj

tj New Member

Serves her right for being so judgmental... 8)

5. MapleLeaf Salsero

I agree TJ.

6. tj

tj New Member

Ok, I have to add this...

Boriken had a post about how he was a smart alec to a gal who asked him if he knew how to dance...

And Vin did this same thing when I was at a club with him a few months ago.

Lol, hey if she's gonna ask a condescending question (as opposed to asking it in a genuine fashion. I have had beginners ask that question in a forthright way, too), why not match attitude with attitude. :wink:

7. MapleLeaf Salsero

When you start doing some shines with a friend just for fun and then you look back and see a number of people trying to copy you. :)

8. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Ooooh, you professionals, you...

-When, at your latest waltz technique group, you manage to do the damned up and down motion without falling! ( :D )
    -When, at salsa lessons, the teacher shows a figure and you say to yourself "I can do that!". And you really can.
    -When your feet start moving in jive, and not just trying to get the rhythm.
    -When your following gets better (is it just the good leads I get? I sure hope not!)

...and stuff like that. You have to start low to get high after all.

Twilight Elena[/list]

9. leaf

leaf New Member

when I get broken toes and bruised feet less frequently :lol:

10. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

:D :D Welcome Leaf. Happy to have you here at DF. :D

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the Dance Forums leaf!

12. alemana

alemana New Member

for all the gringa salseras out there, you'll recognize this one:

a latin leader sees you dancing, but instead of just asking for a dance, comes over to 'feel you out' by finding out if you have had lessons, for how long, where... "no white girls dance like that, " they sometimes say.

when the moment comes to go back to the dance floor, however, he chickens out.

13. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Weeeepaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

And miss a dance with you?!! That I never would do!! Next time in NYC maybe i can come over and get a dance! :)

15. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

:lol: I keep getting asked if I'm from Spain

16. Vin

Vin New Member

I wouldn't say I was a smart alec, I just replied "I try" she proceeded to blow me off by saying she was going to get some water and would be right back. When she returned to the dance floor she had a partner in tow. I did dance with her a couple of weeks later, she actually was pretty fun to dance with.

17. africana

africana New Member

haaha this thread seems like a chance at annonymous braggadocio :D

hmm you know you've improved:

- when men form a circle around you and start passing you around like a bottle of fine wine :lol:
    - when partners say "wow" after a dance and that doesn't phase you anymore 8)
    - when congress videos of social dancing no longer seem impressive or as fascinating
    - when ppl take videos of you at congresses
    - when dancers from various backgrounds/cities keep asking you to teach "your style"
    - when you can travel to any city and follow leaders on any style/count
    - when the band dedicates a song to you :oops: or they play a little longer with lots of percussive variations just to see your interpretation or they try to make you perform on stage :p
    - when partners regularly say you enhance the musicality of their dance experience
    - when you can follow the "top" <or most publicized> salseros
    - when you're invited to join dance companies/groups without auditions

And my absolute favorite:
    - when partners who snobbed you in the past now watch longingly as you float away on the dancefloor :D

18. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

More from the amazing kiddo:

-When you can focus more on dancing and less on the steps (and guess who makes me be like that with no effort at all!)

Twilight Elena

19. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Today I got a implicit compliment that made me very happy :D :D :D

I phoned my teacher to ask what class to attend this spring. The reason is that I have to move my training to another town because of my work. The same teacher has classes in this town. I asked if Level 2 (intermediate) in this town was equal to Level 2 in my home town.

He said
    No it is harder. The students are much better in this town.
    (Good I thought, I need a challenge.)

Then he continued
    But why don't you try a Level 3 class .:shock: :shock:
    (Level 3 is the advanced class :shock: :D )

I got very happy and quite nervous - I started to dance salsa may 2004 and regard myself as a "mature newbie" perhaps with a touch of vintage.

But can I match these leaders? I know how good the students are in the intermediate class. Some of my salsa idols are in this class.

In the end we agreed in that I should try both classes (they are in sequence the same evening) and decide what to attend after a few times.

/Lucretia

20. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

That's great Lucretia, way to go!