Salsa > You know you have improved when.......

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by salsachinita, Nov 15, 2004.

1. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

That's awsome Lucretia! I'm sure you'll just fine. :D

2. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i prefer the response "while you look like you might need a lesson or two, i'm very selective about who i take on as a student."

3. RugKutta

RugKutta New Member

-The host of a salsa contest walks up to you to personally invite you to participate

-You used to be intimidated by all the advanced follows, but now you go after them with no fear

For those of us who weren't fortunate to be born latin......

-People who have seen you dance or have danced with you are constantly asking you "where are you from?", judging that you must have some latin blood in you since you dance so well

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Compliements left right and center to many. :banana: :bouncy: :banana:

5. Kindra

Kindra New Member

Fun topic!!

- When a lead tells you he is becoming a better dancer because of dancing with you. :)

6. azzey

azzey Member

Congratulations! I would advise any student to do classes of different levels (back to back if you like) as you'll learn very important technique in the lower classes and get practice with more experienced leads and more advanced moves in the upper classes.

I don't know if you've tried a salsa weekend or Congress yet, they're a blast and you'll learn so much from the classes and dancing with many good dancers.

7. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

-When people ask you where do you teach (and get disappointed when you say you don't)

-When the local ballroom club asks you to teach their hustle workshop series, and when people run into you six months later and say you were a good teacher (made my WEEK!)

-When you go to a salsa club with another Russian and have a whole group of latinos stand around you in a circle clapping the clave while you dance, and then ask you what country are you from...in Spanish! :shock:

-When your former partner starts taking private lessons with your next one.

-When pros' routines stop being an amazing incredible blur and start breaking down into modified versions of steps X Y and Z.

-When you find yourself unable to listen to music with any sort of beat without choreographing in your head.

-When driving while listening to music becomes a problem due to that.

-When a DJ (whom you do not know) at a club asks you what songs would you like to dance to.

-When you realize you know more about human feet than your anatomy professor does. :lol:

-When you model a dress for a friend at the student fashion show and are later told that you had the best walk on the runway (woo hooo!)

-When you can't buy regular high-heeled shoes anymore because your feet are so used to your dance shoes.

-When you fall on your butt during a dance and people later come up to you asking if it really happened.

-When you, yet again, realize how much more there is to learn about dancing and are excited about the prospect!

8. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

I just wish I could answer this question :oops: :(

9. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

...When people ask if you're Latin. (half Italian is just as good, I say!)

When people say, you & X are amazing to watch. I say, Well, you know, X is so fabulous, and they say, no it's YOU, too! You've got IT!
    :D

When you're completely absorbed in the fun you're having.

When people watch you and applaud social dances.

10. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

When someone who is light-years beyond your level gives you GLOWING compliments on your dancing and even asks you to show them some things (I actually had this experience with a competition level swing-dancer!)

11. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Had that experience too! :wink:

12. xbeatnickx

xbeatnickx New Member

I finally had my experience last night. I was able to nearly flawlessly lead a very new dancer through some slightly complicated turn patterns. She thanked me and continued dancing with me for a while after. Then she decided to leave when the class had to rotate partners. Felt great!

13. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I'm going salsa dancing after a month's hiatus! :D I'm sure I won't be in top shape, but I have been trying to think less and dance more. That's an improvement in my books.

Twilight Elena

14. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

A local cuban conga player keeps introducing me to his friends saying "she dances really well"..

And in response to that, a cuban friend I dance with say "she's a natural"... (he has no idea what effort I put in! :lol:)

15. aragonh

aragonh New Member

When your good friend, the one who introduced you to salsa, asks if you can teach him some of your moves!!

16. HF

HF New Member

... you realize how much more is there to learn ...

17. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

It happens to me too!
    Even though I am still a newbie and I know that I should not do it. I feel so in tune with the music… free… like I am in another world where only the music, my partner and I exist :)
    Thank god I do not lead because I would have had several accidents by now. :roll:

18. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

Let’s see:
    It couldn’t be your salsa teacher, could it? :wink: :wink:

Nah, no way :!: :!:

19. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: You little bugger, Helen! I knew I'd talk you into DF! :D

Twilight Elena

20. alemana

alemana New Member

- you stop going to partnerwork classes but can't wait to study with teachers/dancers known for their body movement.