Salsa > You know you're addicted to salsa if....

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by RugKutta, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

I do that all the time! :D
    One time I tried on a beautiful dress, suited me perfectly and everyone said I should buy it!
    After a few spins I did not; it just wasn’t as comfortable as it seemed.
    My friends looked at me like I was a freak or something! :roll: :roll:

2. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

- All the dreams that you remember having involved salsa in one way or another!

- Other people need coffee to be alert; you just need to listen to a salsa song before you start jumping up and down

- You get an MP3 so you can listen to salsa all the time!

- You start deleting tracks of cha-cha or bachata from your MP3 because you need more space for your salsa songs.

- Every time you are listening to a salsa song you just can’t wipe the silly grin from your face.

- You dance in the bus/train station while waiting for the bus/train to arrive.

- Your friends, who at first were very supportive of your new hobby, have started looking at you as a lunatic when you say that you are going for salsa (again), instead of going out with them.

- You start creating new excuses to go dancing

- Your first thought, when buying clothes/shoes is “is it comfortable enough for salsa?”

- You listen to salsa songs before going to bed every night and when you wake up every morning!

- Your Greek teacher must wonder why the folder you use for his lesson is full of Spanish words.

- Your sister gets into your room at around 4 in the morning to find you practicing salsa! :oops:

- Your former favorite clothes are in the bottom of your closet just because they are not comfortable enough for salsa!

I must admit that I am guilty for all of the above! :oops:
    Well it’s natural… we are talking about salsa after all :D :wink: :wink:

3. alemana

alemana New Member

- You listen to salsa songs to identify them as 'performance' material. Once they are so identified, you listen to them OBSESSIVELY, often several times in a row, every day, thinking up choreography.

-Plotting choreography can be done anywhere, on the street, in the subway, and most effectively whilst working out at the gym. It's important to perform the facial gestures you would include in the routine. If people stare at you, don't worry. They are admiring your ability to smile, snarl, look sexy, and make other appropriate salsa faces.

4. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Oh my, poor IB teachers... :wink:

Twilight Elena

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

This is sacrilege!! Cha cha and bachata deleters should be banished to the depths of.... :evil: I actually love both, but despite this shortcoming of yours...welcome to df. :roll: :)

6. Twilight_Elena

Erhm... actually... I talked her into deleting some bachata and chacha that really was NOT NEEDED WHEN YOU'VE GOT EDWIN BONILLA! :oops: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Disclaimer: I'm Sobrero's partner in crime and dance partner in ballroom and salsa in real life. She gets all her mp3's from me. I'm a bad, bad influence. I made her delete half of those Crespo merengues because they just sounded like it was the same freaking song! We needed the space! There's real salsa out there!
    Oh yeah, and welcome to DF. :roll: :D

Twilight Elena

7. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

Thank you for welcoming me!
    Well actually Sagitta I LIKE both bachata and cha-cha a lot! However there are so many songs that can fit in a single MP3 :( and no offense but I prefer salsa over bachata or cha-cha!
    Actually I can safely say that salsa is my favorite dance!!! My worst is Waltz! I just don’t get how some people like dancing Waltz
    Cough; Elena; cough :wink:

8. Twilight_Elena

:eyebrow: I won't get into this debate yet again, my fellow salsera. You can team up with Georgia all you want, but I won't change my mind.

Twilight Elena

P.s. Who said waltz is my favourite? Heavens forbid! Now we're talking sacrilege! Saying so would deeply disturb our favourite teacher...

9. Sagitta

Edwin Bonilla is definitely good. I like him too. And I didn't know you were talking about crespo merngues. pass me the mp3 and I'll help you delete those!! Gives merengue a bad name. I prefer Juan Luis de Guerra for merengue.

10. Medira

Medira New Member

- When your co-workers know you're listening to "that dance music again" because you (apparently) start dancing in your chair

- When you only visit the music store whose second floor is all world music because they have a better selection than any other store in the area

- When you no longer get upset when your sister borrows your clothes...unless they're salsa-appropriate

11. RugKutta

RugKutta New Member

- You wonder why your friends still act surprised when you tell them that you are going salsa dancing tonight. "Come on yall, you should know the deal by now..."

- You get so excited to see plenty of room on the dancefloor that you don't realize that it's merengue playing, not salsa

- You no longer get fooled by the "I'm the finest girl in the club but I have no clue how to follow you" type of laides.....you now save them for merengue

- Every time your parents catch you listening to salsa music, they ask you "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THEY'RE SAYING?" And you reply without hesitation "NOPE." And then you continue on with your shines.

- (Salseros) You find yourself having to ask less and less

- When you go to the record store, you go straight to the Musica Latina section. That "other stuff" just doesn't appeal to you anymore.

- You have 4 times as much Hip-Hop, R&B, other music in your car, but 90% of your driving time is spent listening to salsa

12. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol:

13. Sagitta

careful there. There are some who just cannot merengue, irrespective of how fine they think they are and are.

14. pr

pr New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

15. SurfSalsa

SurfSalsa New Member

Especially at a semi-deserted night bus station at 2am, trying to re-remember the routine you've learnt at 8h30pm, which is by then somewhat obscured in a haze of hundreds of other dances, moves, variations of said and other routines, beats, breaks..., with tired but happy feet, body, mind... :lol:

16. Josh

Josh Active Member

So true Sagitta, but I think Kutta means that merengue can be faked a little more easily than salsa... even if it looks bad, it probably doesn't look as bad as someone who has no idea how to dance salsa trying to follow.

17. RugKutta

RugKutta New Member

- You have become a "Salsa Jedi" who can sense the "salsa force" in others, which enables you to pick out a salsa dancer out of a crowd of non-dancers. "Hmm....the force is strong in this one.....I think I'll ask her/him to dance..."

- You know that this "salsa force" does not exist, but wish that it did

18. Sagitta

Well take someone with strong ballet background and do a medium speed salsa and she probably will pick a lot up and dance pretty well. Do a merengue with her and she probably will be lost. I've danced a lot with such people. But, in general I'll accept that for the general unknowing eye what is said does hold true. :cheers: :)

19. Medira

Medira New Member

*giggles* That's hilarious! :lol:

Now all we need is a little green "Salsa Master"...

20. Medira

Medira New Member

Hey! I *almost* resemble that remark! :p

I did 20 years of ballet and recently started ballroom. I didn't have a problem with merengue at all. Actually, it's fun with a good lead! Salsa still wins out over merengue any day though.