Dancers Anonymous > You Know You're From California If...

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by cocodrilo, Feb 25, 2005.

1. jenn

jenn New Member

those are funny!

ok, let me try:

you know youre in california when...

*when theres a traffic jam on the freeways...on a sunday! :evil:

*there are 20 different ways you can order your coffee

*every other word in a sentence is "like" or "you know"

*its obvious people dont know how to drive in the rain :roll:

*you look at the passengers in the car next to you and theyre all talking on their own cell phone

*there are more plastic surgeons than dentists

*you cringe and :oops: when people from other states asks you "so whats it like to have the terminator for governor?" :roll:

*people complain about the rain, and then about the heat in the summer (we're spoiled!)

*people are either carrying a water bottle or a starbucks cup

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

That bugs me wherever I go and see people carrying water bottles! Do people really think they're going to pass out from dehydration during their commute?
    Coffee shops, and ANY restaurant, for that matter, that gives you 200 choices for a bloody drink or menu item. There should be three choices; A, B or C!

People still use "like" and "y'know"(or "yi know") a lot, but I've noticed people are using the "3-second and" these days, which is really annoying. If you're from out of town, and haven't experienced this Californianism yet, it sounds like this-
    "EEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAnd". And it means and.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

The one that drives me up the wall is "right on." You'll be telling someone a story, or explaining something to them, and every time you pause for a breath they'll say "right on" in the same way I'm used to people saying "OK."

4. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

If you complain about how we drive when it rains, just watch what happens when that funny white stuff starts falling from the sky.

Born and raised in Orange County, Calif, and served five years in North Dakota. Spun out and went backwards into a ditch during the first snow storm.
    ---------------------------
    Right arm!
    Farm out!
    And flunky!

(from the Real OC of the 70's)

5. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

Yes, cocodrilo, we really do need all that water, even during the commute.

It's incredibly hard to stay hydrated here in Los Angeles. If I don't have at least 3 liters of water a day, I really feel it. The commutes can be really ugly -- it took me over an hour and a half to drive 24 miles to my private lesson last Friday after work. And because we have to run the air conditioner so much in our cars, it dries you out even more. When I was in San Diego at the beginning of the month, I couldn't believe how much water I needed -- the air is even drier there than here. I was needing at least 20 oz (about a half liter) of water at least once an hour -- and still feeling dehydrated. And if you drink very much coffee (sad to say, I indulge that vice), it dries you out even more. And the tap water around here is so bad. It's no wonder bottled water does brisk business in SoCal.

Renee

6. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

How do you know you're in California?

Your fingers aren't too cold to type and there isn't three inches of snow outside!

Who's ready for spring? *raises hand*

7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Me, me, OH me!!!!
    I just opened my March newsletter (that I write for the English-speaking community here) about my whining during the "bitterly cold winter" we had this year. Warmin' up, though! 8)

8. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I am always drinking water!!! Especially when teaching/dancing.
    I always had my water cup with me whenever I left the house. It was the biggest one I could find, purple, of course, my favorite color.
    I had some students (a couple) return after a long absence. (Yes, sometimes, the really do come back!) My hair was very different that day, and they peeked in the windows, and said, "That's not her." The other one said, "But that's her cup!"

:!: :!: :lol:

9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Well I drink water, too- gallons of it! (since I don't drink juice or soda)
    I rarely find the need to carry a bottle of water with me unless I am on a long hike. On the other hand, in Japan, the humidity is over 80% in the summer, and it is hot 24 hours a day. I sweat buckets and drink close to 4 liters of water a day, if you can imagine that! In certain parts of Asia, (like here!) in the summer you can get easily dehydrated so it is definitely a good idea to carry a bottle of water with you in the summer season.