Dancers Anonymous > you know you're in trouble when

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Chris Stratton, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

You know you're in trouble when, you're working on a possible DF post,
    and there's part of it that's you're not really happy with but want to deal with later so without thinking you go and put
    //in front of the line

2. Laura

Laura New Member

Hahahha. But why did you delete the thing in the lessons thread aboug swinging Quickstep versus running quickstep?

I wanted to tell you that I actually hate watching couples do nothing but run around the floor, and so have a mostly swinging quickstep except for a wall of scatters.

But I still don't love Quickstep. It's just so...yippy...to me. It makes me think of chihuahuas or something. I think my favorite is Waltz these days.

3. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Cause I was thinking about everytime someone vents in that thread, I tend to try to turn it into a technical discussion of how to fix it... whears sometimes people just want to vent.

To some extent I agree, though after getting a routine that turned out to be mostly the swingy stuff (especially after we cut it for safety) I do think it's easier to fit in with the scatters - the swinging stuff has to be danced at a higher quality, particularly its more extreme shapes, or it looks weak in comparsion.

There's a fierce chiuahua in my new building - the thing actually scares me because that much sound has to come from something bigger (this one has a low 'voice'), but I can't immediately see anything big. Then I figure it out.

Anyway I think part of the key to quickstep is settling into it until you find out how much time there really is. It doesn't have to be disjoint and hectic - a lot of the motions can be filled out.

4. Laura

Laura New Member

Good lord, we actually agree on something!

5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I get excited when I agree with him too lol! Just teasing Chris. I appreciate everyone's opinion!!!

Speaking of Quickstep, I so want to learn it! I think it looks like fun! It looks hard though, but oh how exciting lol. ;)

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Every smooth lesson I have we start off with quickstep, if only to warm up with it, if for no other reason than to kind of keep it in my mind. No one but my instructor (at my studio) dances it, and I haven't found many other leaders who dance it at other studios. Unless they're really serious about dancing, in which case they're not interested in dancing with me.

Anyway. I'm just a beginner, so I really don't know what you mean by swinging v. (what was the other thing) quickstep, and I wouldn't know what a scatter was if it bit me in the knat.

That having been said...I'm continually surprised by how slow the quickstep feels. Granted, we don't dance it to really fast stuff, but even with moderately paced songs, it feels so much slower and smoother than I thought it would.

I'm sure this is just a beginner's thing. We've done some promenade runs, and some other running-ish things, and this stupid hopping-in-place thing (which I flat-out refuse to do, whatever it's called)...but there's just so much more time there than I ever would have thought. It's always a surprise.

I guess I've just got to get better at it and then maybe that will change??

7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

#ifdef notdef
    A bunch of stuff that I don't need right now, but
    I might need it later, because you never know, and it's
    entirely possible that I misunderstood how this part works
    totally and if I delete it, I just know that I'll wind up
    writing it all over again!
    #endif

Ahem... having returned from our brief descent in geekiness, I will say this: a running quickstep is still better than a pogo-stick quickstep! :shock: