Salsa > You local scene

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by brujo, Feb 13, 2004.

1. brujo

brujo New Member

Let's make one of them Insane traveller's guide to salsa cities in the world. Makes a good reference once in a while. You might also want to keep the comments low so it would be easy to scroll through and find the cities.

I'll start.

Toronto, Ontario
    Websites: www.tosalsa.com www.salsaspot.com www.salsato.ca

Favorite Dancing Nights
    Monday- AlleyCatz.
    Tuesday- Babaluu's
    Wednesday - Babaluu's, Lucid
    Thursday- Mana. Fregata (Mississauga). Babaluu's. Convento Rico ( Drag Show ).
    Friday- Acrobat Lounge, El Rancho, Plaza Flamenco, Cervejareria, Babaluu's, Lula Lounge ( live band / cubans ), Red Violin ( live band / cubans ).
    Saturday - Babaluu's, Lula Lounge ( live band / cubans ), El Rancho, Plaza Flamenco. Orale Lounge.
    Sunday - Babaluu's. Mambotribe social ( every 2 weeks )

Latino clubs ( more colombian style dancers ) : Babaluu's, El Rancho, Plaza Flamenco.
    ( Websites and addresses linked in tosalsa or salsaspot )

Local Bands
    Nick Ali + Marron Matizado ( http://www.brownman.com )
    Con-cache ( http://www.con-cache.com )
    D'talle ( http://www.abcdcompany.com/bands/dtalle/ )
    Evaristo Machado ( http://www.salsaspot.com/index.php?menu=6179& )
    Ache
    Son-Ache
    Diego Marulanda and Pacande
    Proyecto Charanguero
    Luis Mario Ochoa and Cimarron ( http://www.salsaspot.com/index.php?menu=6179& )
    Moda Eterna

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Wow... Imma have to visit Toronto....

New York City
    Mondays - Flamingos -- DJ Knowles and a Live Band
    Tuesdays - Copacabana -- Live Band as well
    Wednesday - Nells -- Cuban Live Bands as well as straight up salsa downstairs by DJ Elvira
    Wednesday - LQ - Live Bands as well
    Thursday - Cache - Hottest spot right now (IMHO) usually DJ Doc Salsa and other guest DJs. Dance Performances at midnight
    Thursday - El Mambo Baby - Live Band
    Friday - Every other friday is Friday Night for the Mambo Dancer - DJ El Rumbero at the Empire Dance Studios
    Friday - SOBs -- It's supposed to be very hot, have never been there...
    Saturday - Usually social night - Announced at salsanewyork.com, or hit the Wild Palm Night club when they have a hot band performing. They must have the hottest floor to dance in NY City (at least to me) :wink: If not, it seems that NY City dancers rest on Saturdays due to the large number of people hitting the clubs. That is if there is no social going on.
    Sunday - Jimmy Anton's social from 5 to 9PM (HOT) 1st and 3rd sunday of the month.

During the week you'll likely enjoy the likes of El Gran Combo, el Canario, Spanish Harlem Orq., Orq. Broadway, Los Soneros Del Barrio, Conjunto Classico, Willie Colon, Wayne Gorbea...

The Mambo Scene in NY City is very popular for its Social Dances which are no more than dance schools sponsoring a night of Salsa Dura dancing. They are usually packed and are dominated by on2 dancers.

[google]salsanewyork.com[/google]

There are a bunch of other salsa places but are geared towards the non-mambo dancers. The above mention, aside from Copa, are mambo on2 crowds.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

This is for Tucson, Arizona:

EL PARADOR

2744 E Broadway Blvd Ph: 520-881-2808
    Friday - Live band plays Salsa, Merengue and Cumbias.

Dance lessons by Jeannie Tucker start at 10:00 P.M. (10:30 PM evenings with UofA home game)

Cover: $5 (class $5 additional)

Music from 9:30 until 1:00 a.m. Dinner served until 10:00 p.m.

Saturday - A live band, plays Salsa and other Latin music 9:30-1:00 a.m. Dance lessons by Jeannie Tucker start at 10:00 P.M. (10:30 PM evenings with UofA home game)

Cover: $5 (class $5 additional)

Adequate central wood dance floor and dancing throughout the remainder of the restaurant.

THE KEYS

445 W Wetmore (Oracle & Wetmore) Ph: 520-888-8024
    Thursday - Most Thursdays - Live Band featuring Latino Salido
    Music from 9:00 until 1:00 a.m. Kitchen is open until 10:00 p.m.

Cover: NO COVER
    New club, large tiled dance floor

IRENE'S <Many changes-contact Irene's>

254 E Congress St., Tucson Ph: 520-206-9385
    Thursday & Saturday - Dance 9:30-closing
    Friday - Dance 11:00-closing
    Cover: $3- Thursday $5 - Friday & Saturday (no cover with meal)

This is a Peruvian restaurant becomes a club Friday & Saturday nights. Owned by Irene Urbine from NYC (Peruvian). Saturday is the big night for salsa from 9 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. It has two rooms, one with a wood floor and one with a tile floor - dancing & music in both rooms. Great DJ Hugo Ugarte from south Florida spins the sounds of Salsa y Merengue.

These are the only ones from the list that I know for sure are currently going on here.

4. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Denver, CO

Kasbah - Sundays: all-salsa, DJ David "Love" 9-1 a.m. Ladies "Free" until 9 p.m. Small floor, but the best salsa music in town.

D-Note - Sundays, 8:30 - midnight. DJ plays 75% salsa. There is sometimes a live band on Sun. This club has a large dance floor and nice atmosphere. If you're a beginner, you won't feel intimidated here.

Supreme Court - Mondays: Dj plays excellent salsa and is great about requests. This is one of the best nightclubs in Denver.

Club Beyond - Wednesday salsa mix 9-2 a.m. DJ

Club Ra - Thursdays: 2 dance floors, 2 DJ's, salsa mix, but there is usually one room playing salsa. Ladies free til 10 p.m.

La Rumba - 50% salsa on Thursdays and Saturdays, Saturdays: live band, usually salsa; mostly merengue during breaks.

Blue Ice - Fridays: no cover before 10 p.m. DJ plays GOOD salsa, ChaChaCha, some merengue.

5. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

If any of you decide to come to Scotland, UK, visit
    Salsaholics Anonymous (http://www.salsaholics.co.uk),
    the definitive guide to the Salsa scene in Scotland.

Clubs running regular salsa nights in Central Scotland:
    El Barrio, Edinburgh
    Cuba Norte, Edinburgh & Glasgow
    Havana, Glasgow
    Medina, Edinburgh (weekly)
    The Merlin, Edinburgh (twice monthly)

There are also quite a few monthly events -- check the Salsaholics events calendar for details.

6. Hank

Hank Member

7. volleybgrl

volleybgrl New Member

In and around Boston, MA:

Sundays: Wepa (every 2nd and 4th Sun.) at Ryles in Inman Sq, Cambridge (upstairs) - an ON2 crowd; Johnny D's in Davis Sq, Somerville. Great live band - mostly carpet dance floor. In the summer salsaboston.com hosts Sunday Salsa Cruises.

Mondays: Green Street Grill in Central Sq, Cambridge. Very chilled and relaxed after work social - like Boston's weekly salsa house party. www.havanaclubsalsa.com

Tuesdays: Union St. in Newton Center (pretty quiet, not crowded)

Wednesdays: An Tua Nua's on Beacon St., Near Fenway Park. Wednesday nights - the floor just got re-done. (Hosted by www.salsaboston.com)

Thursdays: Ryles in Inman Sq. (upstairs) - mostly ON2

Fridays: Vincent's in Randolph and Vertigo in Downtown Boston - both places I've never been to. Havana Club's Salsa Fridays was recently relaunched at the Greek American Political Club on Green St. in Cambridge. This night is pretty big, and is frequented by a lot of beginners.

Saturdays: Mango's at the Milky Way on Center Street in Jamaica Plain. A cool place to chill out and relax as there are pool tables, a lounge area and a few lanes of bowling; the dance floor is tiny though. The Rockpile at the Palace Dance Complex in Saugus is a little light on salsa and heavy on Merengue and Bachata. It's more of a latin night club than a place to really dance salsa.

8. Estella

Estella New Member

Berlin, Germany....

go to www.salsa-berlin.de and you´ll find all the information about the actual clubs!
    You can also read the site in English! :wink:

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yup, everytime I'm in Boston this is the club where everyone tells me to go. Hmmm, I'm not sure if I've been there on a Wednesday though... but, then again, I haven't been back there in a year and a half or so.

10. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Melbourne, Australia.

My local website www.latinlove.com.au. You will find most things here, including some profiles of our local dancers/musos.

Of course, I have a list of my personal favourite venues Wed-Sun. Anyone coming this way please contact me :wink:!

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Well, it all depends... how's the piggy bank breeding opperation going?

12. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I guess we will need to get some miracle workers involved.......something along the lines of Genie & a lamp........ :p ?!

How's the bank-robbing plan going....? Boriken still driving the get-way car :car: .......?

13. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

I'll help rob the bank as long as I can come too!

14. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Does anyone have any more links that they would like to add?

I am going to have to do some reflecting on London :? Two venues have recently stopped doing salsa (they were part of London's salsa history and had had salsa nights for years!) A third venue isn't doing as many salsa nights as before :?

15. San

San New Member

The Netherlands

1. Here's an online guide to salsa dancing in Amsterdam (in English):
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~ehautus/salsa-clubs.html

2. If you're in another city in the Netherlands and want to know what's happening, check out http://www.salsa.nl/SNL_Agenda/snl_home_3.htm and then choose the link info by date or weekly info.
    Info by date gives you info about special parties, Weekly info talks about regulars.

How to read these agenda's:
    1st line > city name
    2nd line > name location
    3rd line > what kind of party, what DJ
    4th line > time the party starts
    5th line > entrance fee

Adresses of locations can be found on salsa.nl by clicking the link Addresses over there.

3. If you have a question about a location or where the cool spots are, just go to www.salsacommunity.nl and make a post; the main language is in English, but it has mostly Dutch visitors very willing to help you out.

4. You can also try www.salsaforum.nl , though this site's main language is Dutch, you can always post in English in the Roep maar raak section. You'll get a response in notime in English for sure!

16. dessaix

dessaix New Member

my typical week nights in Miami:

Wednesday-
    Cafe Iguana, Pines. latin night
    http://www.cafeiguanapines.com/
    Mostly salsa, some bachata and merengue

Thursday-
    Atarazana
    http://www.fiestadenoche.com/
    Mix of salsa, merengue, bachata and reggaeton

Saturday-
    Club Tipico Dominicano
    Merengue, Bachata and a bit of salsa. (Best place for merengue and bachata IMO)

17. Rock Lobster loses its tent.

Apparently the tent over the outdoor club Rock Lobster blew off last night, leading to no Latin night tonight. I still don't understand why they couldn't have thrown on some Latin music, even if they weren't going to have an instructor or band. Then again, there were hardly any recognizable salseros around. Word must have gotten out.

So I'd suggest that anyone planning on going there next Sunday, or the next few Sundays, or maybe even any Sundays, call in advance to make sure things are still on.

18. nysalsa

nysalsa New Member

19. Sebu2z

Sebu2z New Member

Check out http://www.salsapower.com/cities/index.htm.

It already covers many cities around the world. I have found it VERY useful when traveling. If your city is not there, you can contribute as a "local correspondent" :wink: .

If you look for good time in Chicago, then Rumba, The Buzz, Green Dolphin, or Sangria are good choices. Check the website for details.

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Thanks for teh info. and welcome to df. :D