Salsa > You might be a Salsero/Salsera if…

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by sbsalsera, Apr 7, 2004.

1. sbsalsera

sbsalsera New Member

This list has made the rounds on various Salsa sites. I believe it was compiled mostly from salsamemphis.com and utahsalsa.com. It’s guaranteed to put a smile on every dancer’s face - enjoy! :D

You might be a Salsero/Salsera if…

1. You vividly remember your first experience with Salsa and how you fell in love with it.
    2. When someone mentions the word “salsa”, you immediately think of the dance instead of the tomato-based sauce people dip their chips in.
    3. You take naps during lunch because you went dancing the night before.
    4. You convince yourself that you can survive on 3-4 hours of sleep per night.
    5. You’ve considered getting a different/easier day job to co-exist with your Salsa dancing.
    6. You lie to your boss and tell him/her that the reason you have to fly to Los Angeles/New York/Miami/Puerto Rico is strictly for business.
    7. You get caught watching Salsa clips online at work.
    8. You never listen to the radio anymore because all you listen to are Salsa CDs.
    9. All you friends will listen to when you go in their car is your Salsa CDs.
    10. When you listen to techno, hip hop, or other popular music, you try to find the beat of “La Clave.”
    11. You cruise downtown blasting your Salsa music.
    12. Your neighbors are wondering what the hell that is you are playing.
    13. You sneak out to your car during working hours just so you can listen to a few Salsa tunes.
    14. Friday and Saturday nights are off-limits for any event because you simply CANNOT miss your Salsa fix.
    15. When you say, “I need my FIX for the week!” you are not referring to drugs.
    16. When you tell your friends, “I’m going out this weekend,” they already know you are going Salsa dancing.
    17. All your “former” friends have abandoned you.
    18. You don’t even miss your “former” friends, as long as you have your Salsa partners.
    19. You have met all new and more permanent friends who understand you better.
    20. You argue about how Salsa should be danced with your new friends.
    21. Your family does not understand what you are ranting and raving about.
    22. Your boyfriend/girlfriend does not understand the “strictly plutonic” relationship you have with your Salsa partners because you just cannot wait to see them again.
    23. Your dump your boyfriend/girlfriend because they are getting in the way of your Salsa training.
    24. After you break up with your boyfriend/girlfriend, you go out Salsa dancing.
    25. You have lost 10 lbs. from dancing so much.
    26. You start wearing tight t-shirts.
    27. Your skirts are getting shorter and shorter.
    28. You started working out again because you want to fit into sexier Salsa outfits.
    29. You say you are going shopping for new business clothes, but you are secretly Salsa
    shopping!
    30. You start spending more money on Salsa clothes than work clothes.
    31. You own multiple pairs of dance shoes.
    32. You dance Salsa in your dreams.
    33. You wake up mumbling “1,2,3…5,6,7..” (or “2,3,4…6,7,8”).
    34. You practice turns when no one is looking.
    35. You bust out into Salsa steps while waiting to use the restroom.
    36. People do not know you are secretly practicing your footwork when they are speaking with you on the phone.
    37. You watch anything that deals with body movement (karate, gymnastics, figure skating, etc.) because you are trying to devise new Salsa moves.
    38. You are the only non-latino in the Musica Latina section.
    39. You sing songs with words you don’t even understand.
    40. Spanish expressions, such as “Que Rico!” and “Caliente!” are now part of your everyday vocabulary.
    41. You begin convincing everyone around you that they have to learn to dance Salsa.
    42. You try your Salsa moves in a hip hop dance club with somebody who has never partner danced.
    43. You have searched and found EVERY Salsa club in town.
    44. Not only that, but you know who own them, who teaches where, and how much Salsa they play at each one.
    45. You walk into a club and everyone there is like family to you.
    46. Salsa bands know you by name.
    47. Club owners hate you because all you drink is the free water.
    48. Salsa lessons and club cover fees are now a permanent part of your monthly expenses.
    49. You used to be shy, but you are becoming increasingly confident, popular, and willing to show off every chance you get!
    50. You cannot imaging life without Salsa.
    51. You would rather have Salsa than sex.
    52. You become non-productive because all you’re thinking about is the weekend and going Salsa dancing.
    53. You start talking 100 mph just because someone shows an interest in Salsa dancing.
    54. You are on the web all day long visting Salsa sites (and posting on Dance Forums!)
    55. You are in church listening to the sermon, but secretly you are dancing in your head.
    56. You own several Salsa instructional videos.
    57. You are on one those videos.
    58. When someone says “Do a CBL,” you know what that means because you now speak Salsa-Code.
    59. You have pictures of youself Salsa dancing.
    60. You go on vacation and, instead of looking forward to seeing the main attraction, you cannot wait until you check out the local Salsa scene.
    61. You start to travel more just so you can see Salsa somewhere else.
    62. You start clearing space at home so you can practice Salsa there.
    63. You install wooden floors in your house.
    64. You get stopped (in grocery stores, in the mall, etc.) by random people telling you that they have seen you dance.
    65. The only time you rest in the club is during the merengue breaks.
    66. Your shoes are worn out from spinning so much.
    67. You have bruises from all those dips, flips, tricks, etc.
    68. You decide that going out Salsa dancing is more important than studying for that big exam.
    69. You and your partner dance in the oddest places (airports, stores, at work, etc.)
    70. You become jealous when watching your dance partner, whom you have had no relations with, dance with another person.
    71. You have Salsa music on your voicemail.
    72. You quit watching TV.
    73. You do you leg workout earlier in the week so you can have “fresh” legs for your Salsa weekend.
    74. You have a screen name/email address with “salsa” somehow in it.
    75. You decide the only man/woman you will marry has to be a Salsa dancer!

2. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Absolutely, love it!! :lol: :lol:

These are definitely me:
    11. You cruise downtown blasting your Salsa music.
    21. Your family does not understand what you are ranting and raving about.
    35. You bust out into Salsa steps while waiting to use the restroom.
    36. People do not know you are secretly practicing your footwork when they are speaking with you on the phone.
    38. You are the only non-latino in the Musica Latina section.
    39. You sing songs with words you don’t even understand.
    49. You used to be shy, but you are becoming increasingly confident, popular, and willing to show off every chance you get!
    50. You cannot imaging life without Salsa.
    54. You are on the web all day long visting Salsa sites (and posting on Dance Forums!) :lol: 8) :lol:
    56. You own several Salsa instructional videos.
    58. When someone says “Do a CBL,” you know what that means because you now speak Salsa-Code
    Addition:
    76. You only wear SALSA T-shirts that say Salsera, Mambo, On1, On2, Got Salsa? ,etc....... :lol:

3. Neil

Neil Member

> When someone says “Do a CBL,” you know what that means...

Dile que no.

4. sbsalsera

sbsalsera New Member

More salsa humor! :p (Obviously, I didn't have enough to do at work today :wink:) This gem is from salsaweb.com:

A man goes to a salsa club and sees a very pretty lady sitting at a table by herself. He watches her dance all the good songs with different people and finds that she is the best dancer he's ever seen! He finally gets his chance to dance with her, and when the song is over, he says, "You're such a great dancer! But I'm kind of surprised to see you're alone."

She says, "Well, actually my husband and I used go dancing at different clubs several days a week. Unfortunately he died, and this is the first time I've gone out without him."

"Wow, that's really sad. But don't you have any friends or relatives who would want to come along?" the man asks.

"I suppose," she replies, "but they're all at the funeral."

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks, sbsalsera. You're the best! 8) :D (sorry. Too much time spent at Tae Kwon Do LOL)

But you are the best. I'll keep this one.

6. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:shock: :lol: :lol: sbsalsera, that was one of the best jokes I've ever seen! *sighs* I can't wait until my teacher decides to start me on Salsa, so I can know firsthand how much fun all you salseros/as are having out there!
    Seeing as I am out of the loop on Salsa terminology (even though I got a real kick out of the rest of the list--because I can apply a scant few to myself!), what is a "CBL?"
    Thanks for any answers!

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Heya Sakura Kitty...

CBL = cross body lead (sometimes also abreviated as XBL)

8. Sakura

Sakura New Member

*blink blink* Well, see, now I feel stupid, because I know what I cross body lead is! :headwall: I just learned them in mambo at my last lesson, and I think they're really fun! ... :oops: :oops: I've never heard them called that, but I don't get out much... Heh, heh. :)
    Thanks much SD!

9. SDsalsaguy

No reason to feel stupid in the least Sakura Kitty... just because you know what a cross body lead is doesn't mean that you'd also know the commonly typed abreviations, now is there?

10. Sakura

Sakura New Member

=^__^= Thanks for the encouragement. You're right, but I didn't mean to make you feel bad (if I did)! The "stupid" comment would be me going "Doh!" because after the fact, it seems kinda obvious, ne?
    8) :D Thanks again, SD, you're awesome!

11. SDsalsaguy

My pleasure SK! :D

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Sakura Kitty ... You're tops. :kissme: :banana: :together:

13. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:notworth: :notworth: :notworth: *cartoonish voice* I'm not woooorthy!

Really, you two, and everyone else here on DF, deserve all the praise! You guys have always been there if I've got a question that needs to be answered, or to have some humourous conversations with, and it means the world to me, especially because I can come here and talk about dance with other people who love it as much as, if not more than I do, and are more knowledgable (sp? Eek...) in it than I am (but hopefully not for long!)

*hugs to all* You guys really are blessings!

14. Sakura

Sakura New Member

PS- Pygmalion, cheers to the dancing banana! =^__^=

15. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Re: You might be a Salsero/Salsera if?

1. You vividly remember your first experience with Salsa and how you fell in love with it.
    Yes.

2. When someone mentions the word ?salsa?, you immediately think of the dance instead of the tomato-based sauce people dip their chips in.
    Yes.

3. You take naps during lunch because you went dancing the night before.
    Yes.

4. You convince yourself that you can survive on 3-4 hours of sleep per night.
    Yes.

5. You?ve considered getting a different/easier day job to co-exist with your Salsa dancing.
    Yes

6. You lie to your boss and tell him/her that the reason you have to fly to Los Angeles/New York/Miami/Puerto Rico is strictly for business.
    SD, I think this ones your's ;)

10. When you listen to techno, hip hop, or other popular music, you try to find the beat of ?La Clave.?
    Yes!

12. Your neighbors are wondering what the hell that is you are playing.
    flatmates, and yes

13. You sneak out to your car during working hours just so you can listen to a few Salsa tunes.
    No. I have my sterio in my office.

14. Friday and Saturday nights are off-limits for any event because you simply CANNOT miss your Salsa fix.
    15. When you say, ?I need my FIX for the week!? you are not referring to drugs.
    16. When you tell your friends, ?I?m going out this weekend,? they already know you are going Salsa dancing.
    Yes Yes Yes

22. Your boyfriend/girlfriend does not understand the ?strictly plutonic? relationship you have with your Salsa partners because you just cannot wait to see them again.
    Plutonic = Underground [/pedant]

23. Your dump your boyfriend/girlfriend because they are getting in the way of your Salsa training.
    24. After you break up with your boyfriend/girlfriend, you go out Salsa dancing.
    Yes - I have actually done this :D

26. You start wearing tight t-shirts.
    27. Your skirts are getting shorter and shorter.
    20, Yes and yes

28. You started working out again because you want to fit into sexier Salsa outfits.
    29. You say you are going shopping for new business clothes, but you are secretly Salsa
    shopping!
    I'm a grad student. I don't have buisness clothes :mrgreen:

Mhmm

32. You dance Salsa in your dreams.

And sometimes when they are looking!

39. You sing songs with words you don?t even understand.
    40. Spanish expressions, such as ?Que Rico!? and ?Caliente!? are now part of your everyday vocabulary.
    :D

41. You begin convincing everyone around you that they have to learn to dance Salsa.
    Just the guys - we need to redress the lead/follow imbalance

44. Not only that, but you know who own them, who teaches where, and how much Salsa they play at each one.
    45. You walk into a club and everyone there is like family to you.
    46. Salsa bands know you by name.
    Hey - the band leader hugs me and asks after my friends.

47. Club owners hate you because all you drink is the free water.
    Heh

48. Salsa lessons and club cover fees are now a permanent part of your monthly expenses.
    One knows the bouncers :D

Ok so just how long have you been stalking me... :evil:

50. You cannot imaging life
    without Salsa.
    Close.

52. You become non-productive because all you?re thinking about is the weekend and going Salsa dancing.
    53. You start talking 100 mph just because someone shows an interest in Salsa dancing.
    54. You are on the web all day long visting Salsa sites (and posting on Dance Forums!)
    Guilty as charged.

55. You are in church listening to the sermon, but secretly you are dancing in your head.
    Don't do church. But there is this venue in a converted church where they do AT. It'd be nice for salsa.

58. When someone says ?Do a CBL,? you know what that means because you now speak Salsa-Code.
    59. You have pictures of youself Salsa dancing.
    Yes and yes.

62. You start clearing space at home so you can practice Salsa there.

66. Your shoes are worn out from spinning so much.
    My favourite shoes have been resoled. ;)

68. You decide that going out Salsa dancing is more important than studying for that big exam.
    Yes, of course. Its important to have priorities.

!!!!!!

16. SDsalsaguy

:oops: :oops: :oops:

17. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Hang on - you won't have to lie - salsa is your business! (Lucky sod)

Cheers
    Sarah

18. SDsalsaguy

Alas... writing about ballroom & salsa is my business, doin it is not... and, worse yet, I can't actually declare it as a business expense until I finish my degree... :(

19. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

You can't write about salsa without doing it, can you? That's called research. :wink:

20. Haz

Haz New Member

I actually had a salsa-nightmare the night before my second lesson. Me and my partner had to prove that I'd learned enough to continue with her to the intermediate level and I dreamt that I kept slipping and falling down on every spin and move. We practice/take lessons in socks and at home its on a big blue mat (lots of friction). Big difference from the dance floor's freshly polished shine. :oops: :oops:

Ditto on the lack of church attendance but the bus stop is a prime place to run moves mentally :wink: . Give it a shot sometime...it really works. 8)

HAZ