Dancers Anonymous > You say - I say

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Mar 5, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

UK motorway US highway

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Flashlight - Torch
    Socket Wrench - Spanner
    American - Yank

3. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

And the situations becomes more complex when you compare UK English to American English to Aussie English...thought more often than not, it's the same of discernably similar to the UK equivalent...

Oh, my "exchange student" story is with the Aussie term "top up", which means to re-fill a drink. When I was in the US, I asked my cousins if they'd like a "top up" on their cold drinks (softdrinks in the US, eh). Unable to understand what the hell I was saying, they cracked up laughing and spent the night asking people if they'd like their "top off".

Very strange...

4. pygmalion

Nobody willing to tackle blancmange, huh? LOL. Don't you folks remember the episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus that featured a giant, terrifying blancmange? What a hilarious episode that was. Second only to the fish-slapping contest. But I digress.

I had a feeling I knew what it was. Blancmange is a molded gelatinous pudding dessert. Sheesh. I still have to rely on google, even with UK buddies about. I guess everybody's out dancing. LOL.

5. pygmalion

UK the loo, or the ladies US the bathroom (or restroom), or the ladies room
    UK spotty US pimply

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

US - Senior Citizen

UK - Mature Person

7. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

Just remembered one more:

US/Canada - UK
    Theater - Cinema

8. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

I think the Americans also use the term "sleep-in" (Canadians also).

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yup, I'll confirm this... especially as it is what I wish I could do every morning! :lol:

10. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I can do this everyday if I want to........but I am getting bored out of my brain.

I need something to get up for :shock: .......at the moment it's been DF.

*how healthy is addiction :? :lol: ?*

11. SDsalsaguy

It all depends to what, now doesn't it? :lol:

12. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Hmmm, so what do you call the buildings where musicals/live performances are held? How do you differentiate between theatre to see a movie and theatre to see a play/musical?

I think I read somewhere that theaters were converted to cinemas, which is why the use of the word theatre has remained.

13. pygmalion

Where I am, people will say movie theater or movies (as in "I'm going to the movies") . And yes, a lot of old theaters (ala vaudeville) were converted to movie theaters.

Speaking of which:

US: movie star UK: film star

14. pygmalion

Oh yeah: US mail UK post

15. Pacion

Pacion New Member

No Pygmalion, not ignoring you on this one :wink: just need to do some more research so that I can explain it. I know what sponge is :( I have even made it but to try and describe it?

:idea: It is a type of cake, and it the mixture of eggs, milk (?) and flour that gives it the appearance/slight feel of a sponge.

There is less flour than in a "normal" cake (and not 100% sure whether it has milk in it hence the question mark) so that when it comes out of the oven, the texture is like a sponge (springs back into shape when pressed gently with the fingers), it is golden in colour and it can be delicious :wink: It is often the basis for something else, for instance, it can be cut in half, along the middle (on the side, rather than through the top) and then a jam or cream spread on the cut side, the two halves rejoined and either served like that (depending on how well it came out) or with icing or a fruit topping. Will try and find a photo or two so that you can see and you will probably recognise it.

:idea: Have you come across something called the swiss roll? (And no, I don't mean a dance step :wink: )

16. SDsalsaguy

So sponge just =s sponge cake( although typically served with something on/in it), no?

17. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Two S's SD :wink: Getting hungry are we :lol:

To my knowledge, yes. Here is a receipe and a photo :!: of a sponge cake. I think (trying to remember my Home Economics classes here!) that the main difference between sponge cake and other types of cakes is either the lack of milk or ratio of the butter/margarine, eggs and sugar to the flour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/largespongecake_14561.shtml

The pineapple upsidedown cake has the "sponge cake" as its foundation also.

18. pygmalion

Holy cow! And all the eggs. :shock: Twelve is a lot, btw. And what is greaseproof paper? Waxed paper?

19. SDsalsaguy

No, no, no :lol:
    "=s" as "eaqals"

20. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: I rest my case, Your Honour :wink: :D

I say/You say

= / =s :lol: