Dancers Anonymous > You say - I say

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Mar 5, 2004.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Never having been one to pay attention to fashion, the only jumper I'm familiar with is the top of the Navy junior enlisted dress uniforms, the traditional "sailor shirt". I'm guessing that her "jumper" was named for having that same basic cut, whereas we say "sweater" for all forms of knit upper outer garments. I assume that her "jumper" was a pullover (single piece, no buttons) with long sleeves, a large "V" neck (ie, not just a small token "V", but one that extends down to about the "two-T line" (a film term I was once taught), and either no collar or a flap hanging down the upper back.

2. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Ooh! I just remembered one from Monty Python.

(I just Google'd because I was sure I had gotten the spelling wrong, but I had guessed right):

Perambulator
    What we in the US call "baby carriage" or "stroller".

I think I've also heard it in UK productions refered to as a "pram".

BTW, speaking of Monty, I saw the one where the British Dental Association agents were acting as spies, as the various agents would come into the bookstore with bigger and bigger weapons and get the drop on all the agents already there. Then the head bad guy (Graham Chapman) comes out of the wall in a dental chair, but somebody notices the time and they all break for their evil-doing to go have lunch.

The thing that struck me, was that Graham's character acted an awful lot like Mike Myers' "Dr Evil", down to the extended pinky being placed to the cormer of his mouth. I assume that's were Myers got it from.

---------------------------
    "We have a piper down! I repeat, a piper is down!"
    Myers (as the dad) in So I Married an Axe Murderer

3. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

What about food names?

When a friend was in Australia, she went into a shop to get some cookies and they all thought it hilarious what she called "biscuits" (I seem to recall from 30 years ago).

And there was some odd main dish being baked in "1900's House": a large sausage in a much larger pan partially filled with some kind of sauce. I think I remember a "and squeak" in the name.

In the book, "The Germans", the American author related an incident from when he had remained in England after WWII to attend university. Their meal one day was introduced with a little speech: "It has been said that the only food worse than English food is that of the Eskimo. Today, we are attempting to do the Eskimo one better." And I think there was a "and squeak" in that name too.

I still get nightmares over "spotted dick".

PS
    A favorite scene from "A Year in Province." It's Xmas time, so their strange hunter/poacher neighbor presents them with a present, a jar of fox's blood that he tells them is delicious with certain foods. Obviously sickened by the very thought, the British couple picks up a pudding that had been sent to them from England that give it to him as his present. When they tell him what it is, he looks at it obviously sickened by the very thought.

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

trainers=sneakers

Edit: bubble and squeak?

5. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I'm sure. What is it?

6. chandra

chandra New Member

When I moved to the USA from canada, there were a few things I thought were odd

US/canada
    ruff/roof (why do we pronounce the roof of a house like a dog bark?)
    whats her face?/whats her name? (it sounds rude to not remember someones name by "whats her face?" but I use it all the time now ;) )
    I new there were more... I cant rememeber now though!

7. africana

africana New Member

how about curse words?

I had to learn to stop using certain words because they are American curse words. For example "ewww that looks like bird sh%t!" would get the other kids gasping and laughing with/at me until I learned it was better to substitute the word "poop" for "sh%t", otherwise I was a bad person haha!

how about "I want to pee" versus "I want to piss"

makes one think curse words are kinda arbitrary

8. africana

africana New Member

cookie/crackers (US) - biscuit (UK)

I had to learn that biscuits are for dogs in the US :lol:

9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

They are, to at least some extent. I know that the French equivalent of s**t, "merde", is regarded as a mild exclamation in France -- about like saying "damn" in the U.S.

But of course, we all know what the worst curse word in the entire universe is, only to be spoken in Serious Works of Art...

Belgium!

(I am now condemmed to hell for having typed it...)

10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Never heard of perambulator but pram is quite commonly used. Stroller might be used, especially as that is the name given to some of the products made by Maclaren, a British company that makes prams. I have had the pleasure of racing along in the park with my nephew strapped into one. According to his parents, they are not sure who enjoyed it most! :? :doh: :lol: :lol:

11. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

US Dishwashing liquid = UK Washing Up liquid

It made no sense to me when visiting a friend in Brighton, England when my friend's flatmate asked me to pass it to him. Washing up liquid seemed too vague a term.

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Wiki sez:

Bubble and squeak (sometimes just called bubble) is a traditional British dish made with the shallow-fried leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. The chief ingredients are potato and cabbage, but carrots, peas, brussels sprouts, and other vegetables can be added. It is traditionally served with cold meat from the Sunday roast, and pickles. Traditionally the meat was added to the bubble and squeak itself, although nowadays the vegetarian version is more common. The cold chopped vegetables (and cold chopped meat if used) are fried in a pan together with mashed potato until the mixture is well-cooked and brown on the sides. The name is a description of the action and sound made during the cooking process.

13. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

South Africa also follows the European convention for counting floors.