Dancers Anonymous > You went out shopping and came back with what?!?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: A scene in a show I am watching went like this...

"She went out clothes shopping with Bob and came back with a guinea pig called Al, who also happens to be pregnant. :roll: "

Have you ever been out shopping for x and came back with abc? :D

2. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

Yes, just a month ago I went shopping for a red valentine dress and came back with TWO pairs of boots. :roll:

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Ah yes! The joys of shopping at Walmart. You can go in for a pound of bananas and come back with a new manicure, an oil change for your car, a haircut, two new novels, dog food, and an early Mothers Day gift basket for Mom. Forgot the bananas, though. :oops:

Been there. Done that. :lol:

4. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Ahh, Walmart - it's so true. I went in for cat litter and came out with a fuzzy scarf, a fern, milk, and a replacement needle for my sewing machine. :)

5. la celia

la celia New Member

For me...each time is the same story! :lol: I have to buy something,I come back home with a thing totally different!!! :roll:

6. pygmalion

Good point, la celia. I do that pretty much wherever I shop. Walmart's not the only place. :oops: :lol:

7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I go into BJ's (price club) for one or two things and come out $150 lighter. Never fails!

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

:twisted: The insidious nature of whole sale clubs.

9. pygmalion

Sam's and Costco do the same to me. That's why I haven't joined BJ's yet. I go in for that jumbo pack of salsa -- a bargain at $4.50. I come out having spent $200 on stuff I didn't need or want. And, to make it worse, when I get home, I have no place to store it. Who the heck has a place to keep 50 bags of fritos corn chips, 3 jumbo bottles of Ragu spagehtti sauce, AND 12 cans of corn today? Not me. I just went to Walmart yesterday. :wink: :lol:

10. la celia

la celia New Member

I can't go in these shops! Everything is a big temptation! Even if you don't need it...you buy it!Only 'cause you pay it 50cent! :?

11. labelledanseuse

labelledanseuse New Member

Last month, I was looking for a pink shirt at the mall. I couldn't find one I liked, so to make up for it, I bought a pair of jeans and two shirts. :roll: That happens to me all the time. Not only when I'm shopping for clothes, but also when I'm at the grocery store. They say never to shop for food when you're hungry. They're right. :p I always end up walking out with extra items that weren't on my list because I had a craving for them. :oops:

12. Pacion

Pacion New Member

labelledanseuse, I know exactly what you mean re the shopping when hungry thing! If I find that I am hungry, I try to focus on the things I normally buy, and then get out of there as fast as I can! :lol:

I have been known to go shopping with someone, with the sole intention to buy something for me :roll: and we come back with stuff for them :roll: and nothing for me :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

I went throught the phrase that if it is on sale, it is a bargain. :? I then realised that if I don't use it, it is NOT a bargain. I then read somewhere, something along the same lines. So now what I do is, if I do not find what I have set out to get, or am unsure if it is the right thing, I leave it. If I want it badly enough, I will go back a second (or even third!) time for it! :lol: But at least, I can be fairly sure by then that I definitely do need/want the item, rather than "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I get it and if I don't fall in love and use it within aweek I return it. Much more efficient then going back a second or third time. This way a maximum of two trips.. :wink: :)

14. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:nope: I prefer the other way - going back for it.

That way, if something crops up, I don't feel pressured to have to take it back and then, if time is running out, I "decide" what the heck? Don't have time to take it back, so keep it and just "kiss the money goodbye". Instead, if I really want it, I will make/find/borrow/steal the time to go back and get it :twisted: :lol:

15. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

For me, it was Fedco (a membership department store for Federal employees). I hated going there. Merchandise had a life of its own. I'd be walking down the isle, minding my own business, looking for the one or two things I had come in to buy, and merchandise would literally be jumping into my cart. I have no idea how. Mostly stuff I neither wanted nor needed. It was hard to leave without spending less than $50 (20 years ago, so adjust for inflation). You'd think they were paying people to take merchandise out of the store, the way people went so crazy there.

And the CROWDS!! Ach! You could spend 20 minutes just looking for a parking space. And inside, whole clans, tribes, of people would come in together on one membership card. Zillions of people, ransacking the sale tables, tossing socks and underwear all over the place, mixing up the sizes, leaving the shoes on the floor, and crowds and crowds and crowds of PEOPLE. It never failed to trigger my claustrophobia, which always made my nervous and agitated, and I was already nervous and agitated and in a bad humor from the battle in the parking lot.

I hated Fedco. I felt the place was cursed. After a time, Fedco went out of business, unable to compete with Costco, Target, and Wal-Mart. And the big Fedco building in Pasadena was sold to Target. Let me tell you, the Curse of Fedco is on that place, and I generally do NOT believe in the genius loci. But it's just like Fedco -- impossible parking, in spite of a new and larger parking facility, too many people, too much stuff jumping into my cart.

My worst shopping nightmare is shopping with my teenage daughter. The last time we went shopping, I walked out with two flirty silk mini-skirts, one in hot fuschia pink. We were SUPPOSED to be buying clothes for her. I offered to let her borrow my skirts, but she indicated she'd rather be immolated than wear her mother's clothes in public.

Renee

16. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: :lol:

17. mamboqueen

Excellent policy, Pacion! I do this now, too. Because my time is so limited, I'd find excuses not to return things. And then, when I finally had the time, I couldn't find the receipt (and I am generally an organized person!)

My daughter wants to wear all of my clothes (she's only 7, though...I'm sure that will change). Whenver I get dressed up to go dance, she just gawks and says "can you save that dress for me??"

Here's a funny story, and I might have alread shared this.

I took my daughter to the local park when she was probably 6. She had a vest on over her t-shirt. There were a pack of mothers sitting on a bench nearby watching their kids. All of a sudden, I'm about 15' from my daughter and I notice something "bulky" under her shirt. So, I yell across to her "Do you have a stuffed animal under your shirt?", and she pulls up her shirt to reveal one of my black strapless bras. YEOOWZA! Of course, all the ladies on the bench were "exposed" to this and probably think very highly of me as a mother *LOL* Now I check for bumps and lumps before we get out of the car.

18. pygmalion

That's hilarious! :lol:

19. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

I remember my mother had a pink tulle petticoat, and a pink silk chiffon scarf in her bottom dresser drawer. I LOVED to play with these when I was little. The petticoat made a ballerina dress, or a ball gown, and the scarf could be an Indian sari, or just flutter around while I pretended to be a ballerina.

And yes, when my daughter was little, she loved to play dress up in my clothes. That changed with she got to be about 12 or 13, and has only gotten worse as she's gotten older.

Of course, sneaky me, I use this to my advantage. Anytime I see her start to cast longing, speculative eyes at something I think would be inappropriate for her to wear, I simply start admiring it myself and say, "Oh, boy, this would look SO GREAT for tango." IMMEDIATELY it goes back on the rack, and she goes looking for something else.

Never fails.

20. mamboqueen

Good strategy, RJ. Another tip I'm going to put in my PDA for 6 years out!