General Dance Discussion > young instructor

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by emanuela, Jun 8, 2005.

1. emanuela

emanuela New Member

Ok, this may sound stupid and probably it is, but I've been having a little problem lately. I have mentioned in the past that I love dancing smooth and I don't like to dance rythm. Things are worse when the new very young instructor in very sexy outfits is around during the lesson. Ok, I assume that I should try to move in a sensual way when I dance rythm, but I just can't, because no matter how hard I try, I will never look (which I know is different than move, but I think you can act sexy if you feel and look sexy) as sexy and sensual and young and energetic as she does ... almost 20 years difference between us (I have nothing against her, we actually have a great time together ... just wanted to clarify).
    And, on top of that, my instructor is really young (more than 15 years younger than me), and when I dance latin with him I feel really really a dork ... I hate that I cannot enjoy rythm dancing because of this stupid stupid problem I have!! :oops: Anybody can sympatize with me? :?:

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

You seem to be having a bad spate lately e... I actually like latin...so...

Anyway rather then thinking what I look, even though I'm young...I immerse myself and connect with the music. I let teh music griop my soul and carry me through the dancing. That si why I danec and is teh only resaon I can dance Latin. Without that. I'm just a robot doing moves...

3. emanuela

emanuela New Member

Do you dance with older ladies? Do you compare them with the younger chicks? LOL I think I'm having a mid-life crisis (ok, I'm 35 ... not the same as being 20! :cry: ) ...

4. Sagitta

I definitely have danced with 35 year olds. In fact my latest lady friend is 39.

5. Breathe

Breathe New Member

ooooh never compare yourself with others when you dance :( At the end of this year, my coach told me that it took him 15 years to enjoy watching himself dance. As one of the best male dancers on my team, I can only really compare myself to him (locally) and if I took that comparison seriously I'd have no self esteem (I didn't for a while actually, until I realized this).

You're comment was a little mixed up...but I think I figured out the situation. If what I just said makes no sense, maybe repost what's going on...

6. Nik

Nik Member

just dance for yourself, not anyone else in the studion and don't care about what anyone else thinks about you. I have been doing this for a long time and if any of my friends walked in while I was practicing, I'd keep doing the same thing.

7. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Come on Emanuela, you are still a young lady! (I'm older than you and plenty of my dance buddies call me "young lady", so there. :lol: )
    I've had sensual and sexy dances with guys (well, boys :roll: ) 20+ years younger than me. I've also had sensual and sexy dances with guys who are much older than my dad. Age is nothing. Dance is everything. Forget about how old your instructor is or how old you are or what you might look like on the dancefloor. Open yourself to the feeling of the dance and let go.

8. Breathe

Breathe New Member

Can I get an amen?

9. Sagitta

Amen. :wink: :)

10. emanuela

emanuela New Member

:roll: Ok, so I'm officially going through a mid-life crisis :(

11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Ditto what MacMoto said. Age has nothing to do with it. Possibly you are thinking too much. Think about DANCING. They are dancing with you because you love dancing, and you both want to dance.