Tango Argentino > Your 2010 AT resolutions?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

It could be considered that yes, Spanish, has a degree more tangibility about it. But question: where is the goodness in learning it if, say, the mind behind the tongue that utters it is of no worth?

Like anything, it starts from the word. View it as say, the alchoholic who finally admits that they have a problem. Therein lies the path to recovery. And then...as if by magic...the doors start to open for all new possibilities.

It is all well and good wanting that new house, a boyfriend, a baby, learning a new language, improving our tango etc. but what does it mean if we are not striving first and foremost to be a good person? Both within and without. I remember a question my father once asked me when one day (or could've been an entire month) I was behaving like an utter wretch. "Heather," he said, "tell me, don't you want people at your funeral". Ha, ha, ha.

2. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

I thoroughly agree with Mario. Unfortunately, he used one too many paragraphs in the description and thus got people's backs up. In short: total immersion. Live, breathe the language throughout the day so that it becomes a second langague or, do what I did and go and live in the country.

3. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Yes, immersion of some sort (Spanish speaking boy-friend?) is THE way to go...live in the country and avoid English at all costs...My multi-paragraph was for those who want to attain fluency at home in the comfort of their own bedroom (without a boy-friend)..IE: listening for an hour a day to BsAs TV on your PC..and when you finally step off of the plane in Argentina, it will be like walking out of your own bedroom...still at home.:!::D
    Another Biggie is that people really don't realize the 'how' they learned a language..the few that do get to fluency (because of some immersion) will still bellieve that they learned it in School because the 'teacher' corrected them....it's 'reasonable' to believe that but that's not the way it worked. OK..I'm off of my soapbox..no more.:cool:

4. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Cor, you're so deep you are. DeepHeather2007, I shall call you from now on :p

I have to say, being a good person is not high on my priority list. Sorry, I know that makes me a bad person (by definition). My priority list is more about personal growth for myself and my family.

For me, Plan A is not to have a funeral. :)

5. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Yes, absolutely. If you want to learn something - anything - then the absolute best way to learn it is to throw yourself in the deep end. If you want to learn to dance AT as danced in BsAs, the absolute best way to learn that is to go and live in BsAs and do it there, 24/7.

However, life being what it is, many of us can't commit to that, so we have to find alternatives which best match our other personal and professional commitments.

6. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

You think? :p

2010 resolutions :
    - Wear flashier clothes on the dance floor (DJ/suits/waistcoats etc etc)
    - Visit Berlin for the tango :D

The rest of the stuff ... you know, the technical stuff ... well that's just a permanent work-in-progress , isnt it? :rolleyes:

7. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Nah!

Well, that's good...but don't forget the strangers eh;)...and no funeral? Well, that's one thing we've got DB;)

8. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Cool!

9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Re: flashier clothes

..must I be ashamed of you then ? :raisebro:

Cheers and a happy new year !

10. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Well I usually put a clean shirt on at least ... :rolleyes:

Yes happy New Year to everyone - hopefully we'll be dancing together - in spirit at least :cool:

ps I will be attending a certain Moulin Rouge themed NY milonga .....

11. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Wow! Have a good one.

A good NY to all and a big special one to the Brits. Happy dancing feet for 2010.;)

12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

To go dancing more than once a month.

13. bastet

bastet Active Member

I am also resolving to go out dancing more...which is being facilitated with buying shoes that don't hurt my feet....

Which leads me to my other resolution...

I resolve to NOT purchase any more special order Tango shoes, but only buy shoes that I can return if they don't fit.

14. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

more of a quest than a resolution; to find a nice tango partner within a stone's throw

15. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

I don't really agree with this. I think total immersion is the correct approach for young children learning a new language, but an adult would be mad not to tap into their existing conscious knowledge of grammar and vocabulary to speed up the initial stages of learning. So, I would say, take classes to establish basic sentence structures of the new language and and start building up essential vocabulary. Then follow Mario7's immersion plan.

As for tango resolutions: I feel so out of touch with tango joy at the moment that this thread is a timely reminder that it is out there somewhere. Ta.

So, for me:
    1.Update my tango wardrobe. First things first.
    2.Access some regular tango teaching that works for me. I.e. challenging and addresses my needs. If it is limited to 3 or 4 private lessons a year, then so be it.
    3.Work on the social aspects of tango to increase the range of people I regularly dance with. This is going to mean travelling to distant milongas and probably asking strangers to dance.
    4.Work on establishing a sense of connection in each and every dance.

16. flyhere

flyhere New Member

If I may join this conversation and share some personal experience.

Mario7 certainly knows what he's talking about, note that he said "If someone wants to acquire fluent Spanish", the operative word here is fluent. And no, immersion is not only for children. It's a common misconception about language learning.

English is my second language, I studied for 10 years in school and was able to hold a passable conversation, but never became fluent until I spent a year in the US living with an American family, that was when I started to think in English, rather than thinking in my first language and translated to English.

I had a total-immersion German class, where we spoke only German from day one (never mind that we didn't undestand most of it), and in 2 years my German was as good as my 10-year schoolboy English. I picked up French rather easily, and passed an oral driving license test, when I lived in a French-speaking country for 7 months.

I disagree with Mario a bit about the Pimsleur method. I think the science behind the method is good. I found it to be very good and useful as a starting point for adults to pick up a new language. I followed the method and listened and practiced 30 minutes a day, and was able to converse in broken Chinese while working in China, and in broken Thai while working in Thailand, after lesson 10 or so. I found the Rosetta Stone method to be pretty useless, they advertise a lot on TV.

Anyway, sorry about the long post. I need to learn some Spanish and find some work in Argentina, not necessarily in that order.

17. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

As a binational, and one who tutors languages, this is spot on.

18. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Well, I got my audio CDs yesterday, and I'm listening to them in the car, in the journey to and from work. The first one is "pure vocab" - it's a 200-word learning exercise, using mental association images.

I'm up to about 80 now, should have it finished by the end of the week. After the CDs, I may go for either private tuition or public courses.

I'm not looking for fluency, and there's zero opportunity for me to acquire immersion, so my ambitions are far more limited; I'd just like to get to "basic" level this year.

We shall just have to see how it goes...

19. Mario7

Mario7 Member

..after basic the next step to fluency (barring other opportunities) is looking/listening to Spanish language TV (preferably from BsAs on your PC)..start with all the daily news, get fluent in your comprehension and the rest will take care of itself.There is an excellent News TV internet site in BsAs.
    http://www.tn.com.ar/
    as well as a great Tango radio station with hundreds of podcasts about tango music in Spanish.
    http://www.tangocitytour.com.ar/

..There, now I've already broken my New Year's resolution to quit posting in Tango forums..:(

20. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

To not give up. To allow myself to realize how far I've come.