Tango Argentino > Your 2010 AT resolutions?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

There is iTunes, as well. There are several conversational podcasts there which one may listen to for free. Of course, the transliteration is the most difficult part, and if there are no ops for one to do this, yes, learning can be difficult.

2. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I've done CD1 now - 100 words learnt. I now now what "salida" means :)

3. bastet

bastet Active Member

I really liked the "Coffee Break Spanish" podcasts. I hate learning long lists of mostly useless vocabulary, and endless verb conjugations.

it was a nice compromise for learning the more commonly used parts for general conversation.

Good luck! I need to work on my Spanish more also this year.

4. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Would you list a few that you like?

5. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Hmmm... topic, topic, what was the topic...
    Oh yes, tango resolutions for 2010.

I will do my best to avoid getting drawn into pointless debates..
    Oh blast, I've already failed!

6. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

But, Zoops, that's the whole point of the AT forum!! ;)

I don't do resolutions, just ongoing 'must try harder' thoughts (ie, you know, keep up with pilates exercises and not be such a lazy mare)

Also - I'd like to find a UK seller that sells those nice cropped pants (but not the ones that gather at the hem, I look a right short a**e in those - just don't have the ankles for them, duckie)... anyone know where you can get them?

7. Zoopsia59

Just buy a pair that gather that are a smidge longer than you need and cut off the gathered part. Or pull out the elastic if its a separate band inside a pocket rather than sewn through all around.

8. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Try the Pineapple Dance Studios and Bloch in Covent Garden.

p.s. Also, read a wonderful article today about the real Don Draper. Yep, there was such a person...and...his name was Draper (piccy too and just as handsome) Roll on the 21st. Happy New Year LS.

9. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

After giving it a lot of thought, I'm going to try to improve my dancing from mediocre up to average.

;)

10. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Thanks, Zoops, for that idea - I've seen a pair I like with a hem so I might take a punt. :)

HNY to you, too, Heath :D Ooooh, can't wait to come to the smoke again! I'll give those shops a try.

Roll on the 21st indeed! Oooh, I shall try and find that article online! I wonder if tango was big in NY in the early 60s :rolleyes:

11. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Wishes:
    I need to find a partner. I can't go to workshops without a partner.
    I can't practice later, so I waste my money.

I will probably start teaching AT (some privates).

Resolution:
    Put more effort to communications with partner (verbal and nonverbal) :D
    By another pair of sneaker or two.
    Make strategic plan on festivals cause every week there is some festival in the surroudings.
    (which partner, program, expenses)

12. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

"Find a partner who will actually attend the classes" but of course it's more a wish than a resolution. Note that I have lowered my expectations. At the beginning I've been trying to find a partner with whom I could train and practice between the classes. How young and naive I was.

13. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Yeah, tell me about it.

14. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

This I find hard to believe!

Re the Spanish vocab, you can find the lyrics and English translations of many popular tango tunes by typing the track name into Google. It's quite amusing finding out what they are actually singing about and certainly helps me to "fix" vocab in my mind as I'm likely to hear it again and again.

15. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I intend to improve my ADD by imp...ooh look there's a bird flying

16. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

You think dance partners grow on trees? heh if only...:(

17. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Yes, what is it that makes such a reasonable quest soooo difficult to complete?? Why is it soooo difficult to find a practice partner for work
    between classes/dances? :confused: any ideas?

18. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

I think, because at some point a follower realizes that

- practicing with the same partner makes her learn to compensate for the above mentioned partner's quirks, and not much more

-that unlearning the above mentioned bad habits acquired from working with the same amateur partner requires time and money spent on private lessons (that could have been much more effectively spent on private lessons right from the start anyway)

-committed partnerships are not easy. Working in close quarters with a person who is trying to learn a complicated skill of leading might become stressful on many occasions. If the partner is her significant other, it would probably be fine, but if he is just a random person, it is very often not worth the bother, especially considering that

-a lot of stuff a follower may and should practice upon does not require a partner.

19. Zoopsia59

Totally agree with all of the above except the bit about being her sig. other. I think maybe your sig other is the LAST person you should try to learn with... so many things to fight about! So many other issues that you will bring into your dance time or take from the dance into the rest of your relationship. Right up there with "traveling", "having kids" and "investing your money" in potential for relationship stress over negotiating conflicting ideas or values. For some people it could be the glue that binds... for others it could just be damaging to the relationship.

But I totally agree that practicing with one partner does not benefit a follower much unless they are going to form a performing partnership and are rehearsing. To learn to follow well, a follower must dance with as many different people as possible, and the less accustomed to them she is, the better for her development of following skills.

20. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Thanks for the considered reply. I will go back to offering practice to beginners then. It should cancel out some of the negatives you listed.
    Could you list those practices that a woman should do when alone? I will pass them along, too. thanks!