Tango Argentino > Your 2010 AT resolutions?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, Dec 28, 2009.

1. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

I too would be interested to hear these. As far as the forum's decency rule allows, of course. :)

2. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Have you not read my post. My "to do" rez (as it were) is 20 years old. It usually starts midnight 31st and ends somewhere in Jan/Feb/'Mar the following year. To be a better person (for me that is living in a constant state of reality check and seeing that yes, people do have it worse than me (i.e. snow nightmare with the trains this morning..BUT...Haiti got hit by an earthquake yesterday and 100s are dead - which one of the two is a major inconvenience for humankind) trust me, has lasted many, many years.

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

my res is to dance with you...:)

4. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

And I, you.;)

5. bordertangoman

Valentines Day in Malvern;?

Attached Files:

6. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Deal.......Where's Malvern?

7. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Believe. Oh, believe.

Finding a dance partner, who you dance well with, who's at the right level (i.e. your own) to help you, who you can regularly practice with, who you work well with, and who available at times and places which match your own diary, is bloody difficult.

I'll admit that it's probably easier for a man, but that's far from "easy".

It's far easier to find other kinds of partners...

8. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Not if you're aware of that weakness and compensate for it. For example, by working on technique rather than moves or sequences.

So don't acquire the habits in the first place ;)

Yes, which is why it's important to find someone with a compatible attitude, that is, someone who can work productively and contructively with you, and vice versa of course.

Yes - balance, dissociation and so on.

On the other hand, a lot of stuff does require a partner, and you don't get the benefit of feedback.

Basically I don't think beginners should be practice partners to each other, but I think it's very useful once you gain a certain level of experience.

9. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Cor, get a room you two.

10. bordertangoman

11. chanchan

chanchan Member

:roll:
    ...compensating for... the compensation? I guess you'll finish... compensating the compensation of compensation!! ;)
    Sure working on technique is better than memorizing moves or sequencies, but I don't think it will resolve the problem of practicing with the same partner.
    Finding such a partner is not difficult... it's virtually impossible, because if you really want to learn, you don't need a partner at your level, you need a partner that is better than you.
    If you are a follow, you need someone who can lead you, not someone who is trying to learn a complicated skill of leading. If you are a leader, you need a patient follow that will not anticipate and that will not try to compensate your errors, which is not so easy.
    The only way to achieve this, is going to milongas and practicas, dancing with many people.

If you are going to do a show, things are different: you are supposed to do what you can do, your priority is not learning but giving the best performance.

12. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Agreed but when finding *one* follower who will attend one class being already difficult enough to become my resolution for the year, searching *multiple* partners who will also agree to practice *between* the classes is not an option.

Hiring a teacher for a private practice is something I have tried too but it does not work either because the teacher remains a teacher, even after agreeing that she has to be a mere partner. At some point she will say "Ok I just can't follow if you keep this abrazo|distance|posture|whatever, your abrazo|distance|posture|whatever should be like this..."

And what about learning to follow? Most followers with whom I dance will take their same usual step, whatever I lead a small or a large one, and will do their same and usual pivot, whatever I lead a small or big one.

There are enough teachers here to attend one class every day. But the one partner I have is willing to attend one class per month and not more. If I ask other followers, much less skilled than my partner and even than myself, the answer is "Oh I'd like to but...". They are the same followers who invite me when in a milonga. My resolution for this year is to stop being upset by this situation where the lack of dedication by followers prevents any progress in my tango.

13. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

We did. And you just walked into it :raisebro:

14. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

I believe what gets us dancing better is simply dancing at our best, so the partner one needs is simply the partner that works for that. For many, that's a partner at a higher level. For some, it's one less inhibiting, at similar or lower level.

Agreed 100%. Many a girl believes it took her two years to learn to dance, whereas actually it took two years for her guy to learn to dance, and hence two years for her to discover she could already dance!

Good point, especially if you're learning in class, where you don't find many different people because bulk teaching substantially erases the differences.

15. bordertangoman

as this is a forum does that make it a mirage a trois?

16. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

How about hiring a partner who is genuinely a non-teacher?

That's just a result of them have been programmed with fake tango for non-dancing guys learning preset steps under instructors. New girls don't have any such problems.

Clearly they are milonga girls, not class girls. It really helps to understand that these are two different worlds, and it rarely does any good to try to move someone between them. Unless that someone is yourself.

17. Mario7

Mario7 Member

..I'm happy to report that I've found such straight line reasoning (above) not to be factual. Perhaps, rank beginners would run into impossible difficulties but two mature adults with dance experience will be able to accomplish miracles together with a good give and take practica done on a regular basis. That has been my experience. I'm an autodidactic type and I've made a point of learning how to learn (music, language, art, etc).
    With the luck of finding two regular practice partners, last year, I was able to reach all of my tango dance goals in three months when I thought that it would take three years. I now have new goals but the basic knowledge that; yes I can dance fluent, beautiful, slow tango (milonga was never a problem), will always be mine thanks to regular practice with a practice partner (2). I find that the experience of many different partners in a regular dance is also of course VERY productive but very different. I contend that learning to fly with the same person will at least teach one that flying is possible. Trying to learn that while compensating for the distracting differences of dozens of strangers will not be the most efficient way to get there...imo

18. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Newbie, I feel for you. One way I have seen it done was to pay a partner's tuition for a class or workshop. Do you think it could work in your case?

Why multiple partners are not an option, no public practicas in your area? Perhaps, you could start one?

How do normally people learn tango in your area? You do have some good dancers in your community, I assume, how did they become good? Or do they all come from other places?

19. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

My point was, simply, that there are strengths and weaknesses in all types of learning environment.

For example, if you learn exclusively in 1-2-1s with a single teacher, you only get the viewpoint and experience of that teacher. But that doesn't mean you should never take 1-2-1s with a teacher. It means you need a mixture, and you need to be aware of those strengths and weaknesses, as you do with all teaching / learning environments.

That's all.

Blimey.

Depends if your partner's any good. And if you are, of course.

No, because that's simply another name for an unpaid private class.

In a proper practice session, you give and take equally. The clue's in the name "practice partnership".

Blimey again.

Firstly, if you use milongas to practice, then you're doing it wrong.

Secondly, if you go to a practica and just ask random partners for advice, how do you know that their advice is worth anything? They may be ignorant, they may be deluded, and they won't know enough about you to give critique which are relevant to you.

Apart from that...

20. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Well I got a new video camera for Xmas, you know.