Tango Argentino > Your 2010 AT resolutions?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

That's also been my experience. I've had a regular practice partner for an 18-month period and my dancing improved vastly. As did hers.

And, what's more, I can prove it, because we videod the sessions, and the difference for both of us is clear over that period. And I know for a fact that she took no classes in that time, and I only took a few.

Hmmm.... mods, maybe this should be a separate thread? Even for us lot, it's diverged a looooong way...

2. chanchan

chanchan Member

You can call it as you want, but why shouldn't it be good to learn?
    If you dance with everybody and your level is not too much higher than the mean, you should globally give and take quite equally, otherwise your problem is not finding a dance partner, but finding someone at your level.
    I didn't say "practicing", but "dancing": there is nothing wrong in going to a milonga and dance (also) with people better than you, doing steps that you can do. Your dance will improve also without any specific advice.
    If you are in a practica you can also try new steps, or ask good dancers for advices.
    An advice given by many dancers that you find good is problably much more reliable than the one given only by only one.
    The fact that they don't know you is only a benefit: it's a more neutral point of view.
    Moreover, she doesn't know if you are working at some specific aspect of tango and what: maybe you discover that you have something else to work at which is more important.

3. chanchan

chanchan Member

I know that flying is possible and is very easy... you just have to get on an airplane...
    There are many tricks and shortcuts to accomplish miracles in few months.
    It depends only on what you want: I am assuming that the minimum final target is being able to dance with everybody, improvising, fluently and following the music.
    Actually you can't compensate anything if you change partner: you can only consider things that are common to all. I know that this is more difficult and differences can initally be distracting, but sooner or later you have to cope with them.

4. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you can't, but I can.

5. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Me too - and I'm far (very far) from being advanced.

It just takes a bit of thinking about and preparation.

6. chanchan

chanchan Member

Maybe be we are not talking about the same thing.
    By compensation I mean that when your partner repeats the same error many times you will unconsciously tend to do the opposite error so that the result would be apparently correct.
    Distinguishing between a real improvement and a compensation is not always very easy.
    Most obvious case of compensation is when the leading is wrong or weak and the follower will do anyway her steps because she knows what to do, but it can happen in many other situations.

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

tell me about it......

8. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Quick question : how as a matter of interest did you do your teaching then?

9. Mario7

Mario7 Member

A lot of practice is simply dancing and giving each other feedback. If I am compensating for some lack of balance, etc....I must inform my partner...that's what practice is for.
    If there was a specific sequence that I was trying to master, I would not show the sequence that I was trying to master, I would try to lead it instead. THE agreement going into the practica would be that every step, pivot, twitch has got to be lead...everything! ...IMO..only the small adornment when the woman is given time, space and position to do it, is not exactly led.
    ..Perhaps, we should start a specific thread on this topic of how to practice (or even if it's possible) ?

10. dchester

A compensation can be a conscious decision as well.

11. chanchan

chanchan Member

Sure, but is there some case in which you may want that? (Excepting competitions, shows, etc.)

12. chanchan

chanchan Member

Good, if this is the agreement, we can exclude voluntary compensation.
    Now, let's go on...
    Suppose you want to master a sequence.
    So, you need to repeat it many times until you can do it fluently.
    Don't you think that the 100th time that you repeat the same sequence (possibly with some little variation) with the same follower the risk that she involuntarily starts to do it someway automatically is higer?

13. dchester

Yes, not all of us do every move perfectly (assuming we could even agree on what perfection meant). I might be aware of a follower move won't do "whatever move" unless I "compensate" by doing "whatever I know I need to do". Of course the same could be true for something that I don't do well/properly, where the follower is aware of it, and makes an accommodation (or compensates) for me.

I'm not perfect in what I do, but I try to do what it takes for the follower (when I'm aware of what I need to do differently for her).

14. Mario7

Mario7 Member

I try not to be a robot...I look for creativity everywhere that I can..it gets boring otherwise. I would throw in different endings, thwart the sequence, change it suddenly, this all adds to 'fluency' in the movements..and alertness and honesty. This is an Art and deserves all of our ingenuity in both practicing it and dancing it...it's an endless adventure and there's no dead-end impossibilities to run into...practicing with a dance partner can have it's downsides and we have to be alert for them...get two practice partners and it's even more interesting and productive!:p:p

15. chanchan

chanchan Member

So two is better than one... :p
    It seems we agree about the downsides, but what should be the benefits on practicing with one dance partner?

16. chanchan

chanchan Member

I understand, but don't think this is the best way to learn something: it sounda like "it doesn't matter how, we just have to do it"

17. Mario7

Mario7 Member

..for me, it's simply much more dance time. I only have one Milonga a week that I can attend here and only had 2 a week before this. More dancing = better dancing...if this weren't true, I would quit.
    I would like to dance 5 or 6 times a week not just once. If I don't have a practice partner then I will do an hour and a half alone each day...now, there we have some major compensation...lol...but I find that 'Musicality' is helped at the least...if I go on talking about this...we definately need another thread..this one has been thoroughly hi-jacked..but I can see the limbs of my imagined partner and she has my favorite embrace!!:D

18. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Well, I'd hope that if my partner made errors, I'd point them out to her so she wouldn't make them again. And I'd expect the same from her.

Seriously, good, structured practice with a partner works - I know, I've seen it and experienced it. It's not the only thing you should do to improve, but it's certainly an important component.

19. chanchan

chanchan Member

In this case, I agree with you: a tango partner can allow you to dance more, if in your place there is not much tango.

20. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

Definitely.

"“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once - I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." Bruce Lee

:D