Dancers Anonymous > your 40th birthday

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by jenn, Sep 7, 2005.

1. jenn

jenn New Member

what kind of celebration would you want on your 40th?
    for those who have, what did you do?

i need to plan a (surprise) 40th bday party and need ideas! thanks in advance!

oh, be as creative and wild (or not) as you want!

2. tacad

tacad New Member

A kiss on the cheek from a cute salsera? (who just happens to be a teacher) :D

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I get so many kisses...man I will need something a lot more then that!

4. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I had a huge party at the dance studio, invited everyone I knew. We had dancing games, food, wine, lots of dancing, decorated studio and tables, candles, cake, of course. At a special time, we all gathered in a big circle and sang and swayed to Forever Young by Joan Baez. It was lots of fun and everyone had a great time.
    The dancing games were a big hit.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Dancing games? Could you elaborate?

6. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Yes.
    1. The (Old and Stupidly Named) Bourbon, Whiskey, Vodka. (A,B and C - you could make up your own names.)
    A means freeze
    B means change partners
    C means lady sits on gent's knee.

The D.J./ringleader/host plays the music, they all dance, stops the music and yells out B! Everyone madly scrambles for a new partner. Last ones to comply are out.

2. Pencil Game
    You will only need one pencil with erasers at both ends for safety, or use some small safer soft or round object.
    "It" has the pencil. They tap the shoulders of another couple, and then they are"it," until there is one couple surviving....uh, not sure I remember this one correctly. Hilarity ensues.

Musical chairs also works with dancing instead of walking.

7. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: That sounds like so much fun! :D

8. tacad

tacad New Member

I played the bourbon, whiskey, vodka game once. It was great fun!

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

having just turned 40 and having handled it poorly not b/c of age but other stuff....I would say that my perference would be to bewith the handful of people who truly care about me...maybe for dinner at my favorite restuarant...than some large event where people who are only on the periephery have to come and be enthused and bring a gift and make me open it and the whole cake and singing thing...just not my thing....a nice glass of wine with 10 people who have really made a difference...the nicest gift I got was something a friend made for me...he spent time thinking ofme and laboring over something for me...that says it all

10. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

I'm pleading the fifth. ;) :lol:

If I say anything folks will be able to begin narrowing down my age. :nope:

11. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Somehow I thought of the "pencil test" which I would surely fail.....

12. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

I'm staring down the barrel of 40 (My 32nd is tomorrow, yay).

All I can say is the person who takes me to a restaurant where they sing tacky birthday songs will have hell to pay.......

I think I want to hide under my bed for the next few years. I refuse to grow up....

13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

My 40th birthday was Monday. A friend from the studio took me out to dinner and gave me a gift that day, and two other friends from the studio gave me gifts later on in the week.

14. Danoo

Danoo New Member

40th!!!!!!

im still waiting for me 16th and definately 18th :lol: :lol: :D

15. Regina

Regina New Member

Just read an article yesterday about a newly arrived person in US whom referred to erasers as rubbers..... in his/her country the word rubber was an eraser, in American terms, it is not. :oops: :D :D

sorry, couldn't resist

16. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Can I take you to dinner? ;)

17. pygmalion

You're only 32. Get over it. You sound like what's-her-name in When Harry Met Sally. "

Sally:
    I'm going to be forty!!! [sob]
    Harry: When?
    Sally: In eight years!!! [more sobbing]

On a lighter note. Eh. Getting older and growing up aren't necessarily the same thing. You can be really old and totally immature. Trust me. I do it every day. :lol: :lol:

18. lynn

lynn New Member

hmm, maybe i should start planning for my 40th b-day......

19. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

How about a date with someone who isn't a lunatic?

Oh, Pygmalion--don't mean to pick, but it goes like this:

Sally: (sobbing) And I'm going to be 40!
    Harry: When?
    Sally: (sniffs, takes a breath) Someday....
    Harry: In eight years.
    Sally: Well, it's out there!

20. pygmalion

Hey. Whatever. I haven't actually seen the movie in a long time ... maybe even eight years! :lol: :lol:

(And I'm not an actress, so paraphrasing is, "as good as it gets." Hey! :idea: They should make that into a movie, one of these days. :wink: :lol: )