General Dance Discussion > Your Best Night (Or Day) Of Dancing.

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Of all the dances you have ever attended is there any particular one that was the best or stands out the most?

For me that would be the studio's NYE dance Y2k. Not because of the millenium change; there was just something that made it a very outstanding night of dancing. :D

2. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

About a month ago at the Pinnacle Club in Denver. On the 38th floor, looking out over the Denver night skyline, awesome band, and my best night of salsa dancing ever!!

3. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I don't know if this counts, but about 2 years ago, our beloved C&W nightclub, the Saddle Rack closed its doors for good after 25 years. On that last night it was open, we danced our hearts out, cried and laughed. I danced with so many old friends and new people, it was so fun. We danced until they threw us out in the parking lot at 2:00 am. We continued our party in the parking lot until we got hungry and finally went to eat. :lol: Many of us were on the local news (including me, they got me dancing, of course!). I was just learning WCS and mostly danced C&W and line dancing all night. What a night that was! The Saddle Rack has since reopened in Fremont under new owners, but it will never be the same place. We still go there occasionally, but it's not the same. But we are happy to have a place to country dance so I can't complain.

4. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

My best night of dancing was when a big group of my friends from high school got together and went out to a salsa club, it was a blast, but that was before I knew what I was doing :D

5. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Hmm...a best night...

I don't know if I can really pick. But if I really had to, I would say last year's belly dance workshop. It was taught by Cassandra, who is a phenominal belly dancer from Minnesota.

I hadn't been taking lessons for very long and just kind of got thrown into the workshop. I had no clue what I was doing. We learned an entire dance in only a few hours and then performed it in small groups for the other attendees. It was so scary, yet such a rush.

They workshop concluded in the late evening with an actual show. Belly dancers from our surrounding areas all performed for our enjoyment. It was fantastic!

I can't wait till this year's event at the beginning of November when our troupe is performing...including me!!! :D

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hey, dancersdreamland.

I found a dance school about ten minutes from my house that gives group bellydancing lessons. Yay!

My best day of dancing was yesterday. I went to my dance lesson as usual, a little tired and frazzled from my day. But when I got there, magic happened. My coach said that I "danced like a wild woman", meaning I felt the music, lost my inhibitions, and just danced. It was such a blast. I felt like a lot of the things I've been working on for months magically came together. What fun! :D

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Our studio held an Arabian Nights theme dance two years ago which included a belly dance performance by one of the ladies who's a belly dancer. It was a great performance. 8)

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

See??? All this good reading and writing has helped to inspire you. I "know" that feeling, and it only just happened to me in Fresno this past May . . . and it hasn't gone away. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! You are there . . . :D :D :D

9. pygmalion

It sounds strange that sitting glued to my computer has helped inspire me to dance, but, Vince A, I really think it has. When I joined this forum almost a month ago, I was burned out, discouraged, and about ready to quit dancing. Now I'm dancing like a wild woman. And the only thing that has changed significantly is that I'm in the forums everyday, exchanging ideas with other dance enthusiasts (euphemism for dance nuts! :lol: )

There has to be a connection.

Thanks, dance-forums, and all its participants. You've really made a difference in my life. :D

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

And I'm not sure what it is . . . we're not alone in our dance endeavors . . . we can share our triumphs and our defeats . . . we can act silly . . . we can be silly . . . we can help others . . . others can help us??? It's all of these together. And more . . . . . . . . . .

My three favorites words . . "For other people," guide me in most things that I do, and those "other people" in this site certainly have contributed to a better dancer a better all-around person!

Actually some things that Damon has said contributed to my whole outlook toward dancing . . . things have changed!

11. dancersdreamland

:p :p :p Hooray!!!! I am so excited for you!!!! Please let me know how your first set of lesson go. I found this online article that breaks down some of the basic steps. I thought you might like it: http://www.seventeen.com/sexbody/se.wor.belly.index.html

Right on!!!! :D

12. pygmalion

Thanks, dancersdreamland. I will read, and get back in touch. :D

Jenn

13. dancersdreamland

I look forward to hearing from you soon. :D

14. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I just had a FABULOUS night of dancing last night. I don't know if it was my 'best' night but as a whole it was a notable blast. My favorite little venue with a great live band and getting to dance with some of my favorite local leads!! (I even got to dance with Stephanie TWICE!! We always have a ton o' fun when we dance together-- pure exuberant silliness... and she hits the breaks!!! --given the leads I dance with on a regular basis she is definately in the top 5!)

Last night I just felt 'on' ... I think it helped that I had been listening to swing the entire day while working.

Which reminds me another great moment in my week. Monday night I was working in the design studio along with a few other students. Since I got there first I had my music playing. At one point in the evening one of the chior professors (we share a hallway) poked his head in smiling and with his eyes darting around the room. "May I help you?" I asked. To which he replied, "Oh, I just wanted to see who was playing Nat King Cole! I was raised on that music.. what an artist!"

It made me happy to see him so happy about this. It's also always nice to run into someone who actively enjoys the music I do (I don't meet them all that often). It was a happy moment!

15. dancersdreamland

Very well said. It doesn't matter what kind of day I've had a work, I know I can come here and instantly be surronded by kindred dance spirits who will understand and inspire.

You guys (and gals) are the best! THANK YOU!!! :D