General Dance Discussion > Your dance persona

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Apr 17, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I've found that, these days, when I dance, whole new facets of my personality emerge. at work, I'm super serious, studios, and goal oriented. At home, laid back. Dancing? Someone completely different.

How about you? Do you have a different dance persona? How is it different than the everyday you?

2. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Yeah, at work, I'm the character named Alice who has her transportation as a broomstick(if you get my meaning :lol: :wink: ) At home, I'm the character Angela who is the patio gardener in overalls and a big straw hat. Very calm. :D But when I dance, I am totally ME. The person who is filled with joy and laughter. Yeah, I'm a very different person when I dance.

P.S. I'm only kidding about the broomstick. :wink:

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

And I was going to ask for a ride when I came down to Florida!! :( Never ridden on a broomstick befor!! :cry:

I would say that different facets of my personality appear depending on the dance. And there are certain things that I cannot do, certain ways that I cannot act, as easily outside dance without it being misconstrued. My dance persona is definitely more flirtatious, more assertive then my social persona. I do tend to be more laidback in the typical non-dance social setting.

4. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

5. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

My personality is very much the same, but at work I'm not as loose and free as I am on the dancefloor. That's been MY place since I first remember dancing with my mom as a tot. I feel more comfortable there than I do ANYWHERE else.

6. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Same here Youngsta. I feel more comfortable on the dancefloor than anywhere. There was a time when I went through a very shy phrase and disliked going to pubs/wine bars/house parties. If there wasn't going to be any dancing, I would stay for a "polite period of time" and then make a hasty retreat :lol:

I am unintentionally (?) a different person on the dancefloor, especially when dancing salsa :lol: . A couple of years ago, my sister, brother and some friends saw me dancing salsa for the first time. They said that "I looked different" :lol:

Whilst I might "flirt" verbally and with my eyes :lol: off the dancefloor, on the dancefloor, my hands slide/linger on their shoulders/arms/chest/backs/waists, I touch their hair/head especially when they put my hand there, pretend to fix their tie if they have one on :lol: basically a lot of the stuff/body language certain women use off the dancefloor :D

7. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

:shock: save me a dance...PLEASE? :wink:

8. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: the guy has to "give back" too! :lol: He has to be playful and help setup the moments otherwise, if he is a pattern dancer, there is little time to do those things if all that is happening is my being taken through one move after the next :twisted:

9. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

I'm Gemini, so I have a million different personalities anyway. :wink:

I teach at a university, and my students usually see the ironic teacher who makes them ask questions and doesn't provide easy answers. When I'm in a committee meeting, I'm a pit bull for faculty rights, academic freedom, etc. As an actor--I'm frequently cast as the bad guy or the heavy, Richard III, Roat in "Wait Until Dark" (evil drug dealer who terrorizes a blind girl), contract killers and smarmy politicians in my film work.

So yes, my dance persona is different from all of these (I hope). I get very flirty both on and off the floor, and I'm most comfortable in rumba, tango, bolero, and ECS and its variants. Probably I've gotten more open since I've started dancing, more willing to touch people, instead of keeping them at a distance and dealing with them intellectually.

Love your description of yourself on the dance floor, Pacion--I was out salsa dancing last night with some friends. Would like to dance with you once or twice. Maybe more. Maybe a lot more. Pretty definitely more than twice. :wink:

10. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Oh I hear ya! I am no pattern dancer by any stretch of the imagination :lol: :lol:

11. pygmalion

I love this movie. The costumes are so dated nowadays, but I still scream out loud (literally) every time I see a certain scene in this movie. The darkness and the suspense are so compelling. And there's something about Audrey Hepburn's beauty and innocence played against Alan Arkin's ... sleaze.

12. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:wink: Youngsta

:lol: GR. Are you flirting, complimenting or flattering me :wink:

13. Genesius Redux

Alan Arkin is quite good in that film. The role was originally created on Broadway by Robert Duvall, who has been called a troll elsewhere--so I'm playing down some of my similarities to old Bobby.... :wink:

14. Genesius Redux

I'm asking, Pacion. Like a gentleman. Will you dance with me? :?:

15. pygmalion

I didn't know that. Robert Duvall would be EXCELLENT in that role. He's such a versatile actor. He has created a competely different person in every role I've seen him portray. Wow. 8) He'd be a great bad guy. :)

16. pygmalion

Umm. I guess I should get back on topic. :oops:

When I dance, it's as if certain aspects of my personality become magnified. I flirt; I tease. I'm a vamp! I am every day, of course. I just let it loose on the dance floor in ways I can't (or don't LOL) in my everyday life.

17. Genesius Redux

Locus classicus for Duvall on film: Apocalypse Now. "Charley don't surf!" and "I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory.... Someday this war will end." 8)

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Ditto! :)

19. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Definitely GR! You won't even have to ask twice :ladiesma:

20. Monsour

Monsour New Member

Dance persona......I like this topic! :)

I find I come my persona adapts to the music. If its very sensual slow music I have this little smirk on my face like a cheeky smile if its hards hitting music its very serious......its hard to explain really

but i must admit people who see me perform then speak to me and are like wow your like really laid back.....from watching you dance you seemed really in your face .....

anyways thats all from me
    Cheers!
    Monsour