General Dance Discussion > Your dance scene; which is biggest?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Outside of the clubs which scene is the biggest in your area?

Right now I'd say WCS is probably the biggest here though this is not saying that it's huge. I wanted to say ballroom, but it's up and down as far as attendance at the studio dances is concerned.

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I would have to say that ballroom, salsa and swing are very close, and it would be difficult to say which is bigger here in Atlanta.

3. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Here in Boston, I think ballroom is the biggest, but that may be because it's composed of multiple subscenes that don't interact all that much.

Salsa would be next if you included clubs, but I'm not sure there's much of it done outside of clubs. Argentine tango and swing might be bigger than salsa-minus-clubs ... any particular reason why clubs are being excluded?

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Salsa and swing.

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I think in most places this is where you're going to find most dancing and much of it being hip hop and rock and roll so that's why I mean for the question to be aside from these - if there's any place where this is not the case I'd love to pay a visit. :mrgreen:

6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I would have to say swing is the biggest.

7. swinginstyle

swinginstyle New Member

Salsa is the largest here. Then there would swing overall, followed by ballroom. Last would be argentine tango.

8. etchuck

etchuck New Member

I actually think ballroom, salsa and swing are about equally sized here. Contra dancing is probably next followed by vintage and Argentine tango. The country dancing scene, I have no clue but I also guess it has a large following.

9. ratherbdancing

ratherbdancing New Member

I would have to say ballroom and salsa. Salsa may be a little bit bigger because there a bunch of mexican restaurants that have salsa night and I guess they are packed on those nights. (I'm not allowed to go to these events...at least for a couple of years :wink: )

10. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I forgot about the contra/vintage/historical/folk scene. Added up, it's probably bigger than the swing scene here, but I don't think any individual part is that big.

11. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Hmmm I'd say salsa although swing isn't far off.