Salsa > Your Favorite Salsa Moves

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by peachexploration, Feb 17, 2004.

1. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Okay, some people like spins, some like dips, flips and splits. (ouch!) :D But we all have our favorites moves. What are yours? Share with us please! :D Of course, without giving away your secrets. :wink: I happened to love when the guy does hand tosses and I can add a little extra styling in the wrist. What about you?

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I'm such a goof... It doesn't matter how many turns, spins, shines I learn, I keep going back to the basic.

There isn't one move that yields as much beauty and sexiness as a well done basic. The body to body connection, the eye to eye connection, the chase and be chased feeling, the energy running from my body down my arms down her body and up her arms back to me again. My aura, her aura engulfing each other making one seamlessly intertwined essence that we appear to be the whole instead of pieces of the total. Ahhhhhh…. Now, sabrosona, baila sabroson is all I can say… The basic its it to me.

There is just no feeling like a gently smooth basic caress of having each other in each other’s arms. Sorry, but my favorite move is still the first I learned, even when many claim it boring :D

3. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Thats an easy one :wink:

SPINS! I could spin all day....doesnt matter what dance Im doing either! I love the free feeling it gives you.
    When a guy spins you its awesome, I remember one guy asking if I minded if he spun me....he was very good at the lead too, never making it too slow or too fast. I could have married him , well if I wasnt happiy engaged to my non dancin' darlin' :? :wink:

I just need to properly learn focus so I dont get too dizzy...but only time will improve that I think!

4. peachexploration

Ahhhh....the basic.....Yes, agree with you there. There is nothing boring about the basic. That's definitely where the love starts.

5. nobodaddy

nobodaddy New Member

As usual borikensalsero has hit the nail on the head. When you have that "connection" between leader and follower, anything is possible and can be lead. Without it, you're doing aerobics. There's one follower I dance with who can't do spins, but dancing with her is bliss! Because we connect.

6. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Call me a goof, too! I feel the same. 8)

:notworth: As usual :notworth: !

Aside from that, I love well-excuted dips :p ! Not over-done....just enough to highlight the music....when it is called for :wink: !

7. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Any move where I can showcase my lady and make her look elegant. I have a few in the bag, but I wouldn't know what to call them. I also love sending my partner into free spins and collecting her cooly.

8. Yep, even I keep going back to the basic step. Spins? Well... mine needs a lot of work. But I like adding a kick after a guy dips me at the end of the song *woohoo!!*. :)

9. Vin

Vin New Member

Oh wow, another great topic. I agree the basic can be great, although I should add that prefer doing the basic as a shine rather than coupled. There is something so incredible about breaking into a long basic shine with just a couple of turns and staying perfectly in sycnh with each other.
    I guess my favorite move when coupled is actually a bit of a simple move, a cross body lead where the woman gets rotated around in a little bit of a fancy way. So on the 5(or 6) I push her out a little more with my left hand and on the 6(or 7) I pull her back in a bit more, creating a sort of rotation. It is simple but in order to do this correctly you have to have a better than average connection.

10. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

I would LOVE to dance with you! You are definantly the sort of guy a lady loves to dance with. IMO theres nothing worse than a guy who tries to outdo his partner, makes them both look silly!

11. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Thank you :D The way I see it...if she looks good, I look good! :wink: That's the highest compliment my lead can get.

12. Estella

Estella New Member

My favourite move is a simple CBL! :lol:
    It´s so easyyyy.... and could be so elegant.... or sexy... or funny... or....
    :wink:

13. volleybgrl

volleybgrl New Member

My favorites are any that incorporate a lot of hips, flared legs, and small kicks/hops. I like to focus on the little things. :wink:

14. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Funny you'd say that! I've developed this 'odd/bad habit' of flicking my left foot when starting back on the 3 (or the 8 on2). It's something that just developed while I was learning. Now it's one of the most distinctive things about my style :lol:

15. Giselle

Giselle New Member

Is flicking your foot really a bad habit? I do it all the time.... :roll:

My favorite move that I've yet gotten to do is a very basic natural turn for the lady- the guy touches the bottom of the girls chin and uses that as his only point of contact for turning the girl.... It seems so intimate and playful!

16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

The CBL is really my litmus test move... it lets me know about frame, compression, elasticity, partnering, etc. (especially because I rarely stay in a slot).

17. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

The one where the leader takes the follow into a cross body lead and then does a cross right foot over left step ending with both partners facing the same direction - leaders left hand holding followers right and both kick to the inside for two measures and complete with either a turn or spin. 8)

18. peachexploration

Nice! I just practiced this one. Cool! :p

19. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Hmm, a very sensual and smooth basic is nice, especially since its about all that I really know! :shock:

Seriously though, my favorite move is the CBL. I'd say its mainly because the only thing I'm good at doing while dancing is avoiding on floor collisions, thanks to my martial arts training. I always use the CBL to keep my partner safe and several times I've pulled a lady out of the way and taken an ankle stomp as a good leader should. :p

I love doing variations with different hand placement and holds, and as SD mentioned it gives you a good idea how your partner will respond to you. It opens up so many possibilities (most as yet unknown to me) and its a great way to show someone that you know more than the basic! :wink:

20. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:oops: Excuse my ignorance, guys.........

What does "CBL" stand for :? .........?