Tango Argentino > Your favourite Tango Song

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Twirly, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Twirly

Twirly New Member

I'm curious about what tango songs people love to listen and dance to.

Which tango song was your "first love"? Which is your current favourite? Any song that you loved from the start and is still on your list of favourites? Or maybe one that you didn't like to start with but then ended up adoring? Songs just to listen to? Or just to dance to?

Milongas?
    Vals?

Sad songs, dramatic songs, romantic songs, happy songs, fast songs, slow songs?

Classics that most people love, or obscure ones that not many have heard of?

And finally, your all time favourite song of them all?

Looking forward to your replies! :)

2. Twirly

Twirly New Member

First love: Bahía Blanca

I have a feeling I'm not the only one. What is it about this song that is so attractive to beginners? I suppose it must be especially accessible somehow to people who haven't been exposed to much tango music. A lot of teachers seem to use it in their classes as well, although that's not where I heard it.

And of course, it's just very beautiful.

3. merci beaucoup

merci beaucoup New Member

Not very traditional or purist I suppose, but it was hearing Epoca by Gotan Project that got me interested in tango in the first place and Los Suenos (Astor Piazzolla) on my ipod always rescues me from the reality of the tube.

4. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Oh, I love Los Suenos! I listen to quite a lot of Piazzolla these days. I don't care what people say about not dancing to Piazzolla, I'd dance to that song anyday! (Maybe with more modern tango music, actually knowing the song well makes all the difference on the dance floor?)

I'm thinking of getting something by Gotan Project as everyone is always talking about them. Haven't listened to them much myself yet.

5. ssjss

ssjss New Member

milonga off of Piazzola Remixed. Just cuz I dance to it the other night and had warm fuzy feelin well into the next day. But I get those all the time from AT, just they don't last that long.

6. genEus

genEus New Member

:bouncy:

Di Sarli's Bahia Blanca is by far my absolute favorite tango. Every time I hear my heart sinks (and sings) The strings, oh the strings.... In the beginning Bahia Blanca would drive me loco!

7. devane

devane New Member

por una cabeza .
    The version done by the tango project.

8. Milonguita

Milonguita New Member

Quien tiene tu amor - Juan Carlos Godoy

and the obvious, given my alias:

Milonguita - sung by Hugo del Carril

Two top ranking favorites:

Una Musica Brutal - Gotan Project
    El Choclo when sung by Tita Merello

and two milongas, no matter which version:

Milonga del Novecientos
    Bien criolla y bien portena

9. ssjss

ssjss New Member

That whole cd is great have you listen to A Rough Guide of Tango Nuevo. I think you'll like it if you liked Tango Project.

10. genEus

genEus New Member

Champagne Tango (Di Sarli)

Quejas De Bandoneon

11. Twirly

Twirly New Member

Hmm... Quite a lot of the songs you guys mention I don't think I know. I'm such a beginner that I only really know the biggest old classics. I need to do some research.

Hurrah! More tango to look forward to! :)

12. Svet T.

Svet T. New Member

por una cabeza :D

13. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

First love tango song ? La Cumparsita by Julio Iglesias. Still moves me when I hear it.

My favourites change all the time. When I like a piece I listen to it a lot and then I'm fed up. So I used to like Bahia Blanca, now I can hardly stand it.

Now it's "El adios" by Donato (alb. Y sus Muchachos 1932-1939 — Edgardo Donato). I heard it on an AT radio. Unfortunately I never found this album in shops. :cry:

14. Twirly

Twirly New Member

I know what you mean. I tend to listen over and over again to the same one, until I find another one that I want to listen to instead. I haven't really got to the stage where I get fed up as such, not even of Bahia Blanca! But then again, my obsession is a fairly new one...

I don't feel I've been in this long enough to say what my all time favourite is. I get a new favourite almost every day!

I love dancing to songs that I know really well, especially if it's with a good leader who really listens. That can be wonderful. Or frustrating if it's with someone who doesn't move to the music. Oh well.

15. devane

devane New Member

I'll check it out.
    Thanks.

16. merci beaucoup

merci beaucoup New Member

What is a "tango song" anyway ? (Genuine question, not rhetorical).

What are the features that define a song as being tango ?

17. "Malevaje" or "La última curda" sang by Goyeneche.
    But actually its very hard to decide. I think a song should be judged by the lyrics (poetry) also, these two are really great!

18. Snuggles

Snuggles New Member

i like el tango de roxanne... the revamped one with the screams in the background... very easy to dance to...

19. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I take an opposite view; for dancing; the less lyrics the better; too many good tunes have been ruined by singing. You get this wonderful melodic introduction and then some fool starts groaning and crooning. I have been known to walk off the dance floor......

20. You are right, for dancing, im talking about listening.