General Dance Discussion > Your funniest, most ridiculous, most hilarious moment on the dancefloor!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Quimbly, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Quimbly

Quimbly New Member

After searching the threads on DF, I was unable to find a thread like this one. My appologies if there already is one, but I thought this was worth sharing.

My moment came while I was dancing in Turkey. I was working in Ankara for about a month as part of my job. During the time I was there, I checked out the local dance scene out of curiosity, and was pleasantly surprized by a couple of decent salseros in the city. On my first night out, I was dancing up a storm with the locals out on the dancefloor. During one particular song it happened.

It felt like someone was tugging on my butt from behind me as I was dancing with my partner. "What a strange thing for someone to do", I thought. I tried to pull away, but couldn't. Someone had a real tight hold, and wasn't letting go! So, I tried to turn around, but couldn't. This all took place over the course of just a second or two. Finally, I turn my head to see what's happening. I see a girl looking back at me with her butt pressed against mine...and funniest of all, she was stuck too! Apparently (somehow!) my back pocket button attached itself to the girl's back pocket button hole! I guess we had brushed against each other, and my button hit her button hole just right! The chances were one in a million.

For at least a minute we just stood there, laughing ourselves silly, with our butt cheeks pressed up against each other's, unable to detach ourselves. Our unusual predicament attracted much attention, and caused much of the dancers to stop, look, and join in on the laughs. At one point, our dance partners left us and started dancing together, as me and the girl stood in the middle of the floor, trying to disentangle the mess.

There have been other moments which are worth mentioning, but no doubt, that was the funniest and most memorable.

Please share your hilarious moments!

2. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

:lol: That is hilarious.

3. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Can't think of a truly funny one. Once I slipped and sorta fell, my left foot did a full ronde and then I returned to my partner. Twas sorta strange as a fall. :lol:

Twilight Elena

4. redhead

redhead New Member

My hip scarf got tangled on some other guy's (not my partner's) pant-back-pocket button, and for the longest time my partner wouldn't realize why I can't spin :)

5. Quimbly

Quimbly New Member

That is pretty funny. Good thing he didn't spin you! You might have ended up looking like a mummy!

6. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Well, I witnessed something similar to the Ankara back-pocket incident.

I was at a community "concert in the park" featuring a well-known Latino musician (pues, "en su propria casa se conoce"; I'm not that up on that music scene) with three women I know from salsa and the young-adult daughter of one of them. Two of them had been learning to lead and so they started dancing to a salsa piece. The one worn a knit top and the other's top was a vest that used hook-and-eye fasteners and she had several of the top ones undone. And both women are ... quite healthy.

Half-way through the dance, they suddenly noticed that the vest's hooks had gotten into the knit top's fabric so that their breasts were stuck together. Ever helpful, I held them close enough together so that the knit would not be ruined and instructed the daughter to go to the other side to help her mother get untangled.

It wasn't until later that I realized I had missed the opportunity to add to the Salsa section's infamous "looking at cleavage" thread. Oh, well.

7. tacad

tacad New Member

Very funny, Quimbly. :lol: I can't think of an example, though.

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I like to think of pranks that I can pull during comps. My best one so far was the "blue tongue swing". At a comp two years ago, they had included, in the typical collections of candy that they put out on the competitors' tables, a selection of Jolly Ranchers. At one point during the day, I ate one of the blue ones, and on a subsequent trip to the bathroom I noticed that it had turned my tongue a deep blue. The plan formed...

I had a WCS heat with my DW coming up near the end of the event. I clued in everyone else in our group. A few minutes before the event, I popped another blue Jolly Rancher. We headed to the on-deck area with me being careful to keep my mouth closed.

I chose a spot on the floor near our table, and the music started. As soon as I got oriented in the right direction, I stuck my blue tongue out at her as I led my DW through a left-side pass. The people at our table howled! The DW glared at me for the rest of the dance...

Somehow, we still got a first place in that... :cool:

9. SLuRP

SLuRP New Member

lol...

...couldn't stop passing gas but thankfully there were so many people on the floor I wasn't found out. Instead I just rushed off the floor when every1 got fed up with the nonstop nausea! haha!

10. Quimbly

Quimbly New Member

That works, as long as you're doing a travel dance. Bad gas and spot dances are a bad combination! :p

11. tacad

tacad New Member

Ok, I've got it. I was dancing with a friend, I gave her a spin. But she was about to collide with someone so I put one arm around her as fast as I could and pulled her out of harms way. In my haste I grabbed her across her breasts. Luckily we are good friends and we had a good long laugh about it while I apologized profusely and professed my innocent intentions. Now, if I need to rescue someone my arm automatically goes down across her waist. :wink:

12. alemana

alemana New Member

i am famous for hooking my skirt with my heel and pulling it down to my ankles as i put my foot down.

13. Medira

Medira New Member

*facepalm* ...oooh, that sucks. Luckily for me, I've only ever done that with pant legs. (Without the resulting tug down to the ankles)

My most embarassing moment came during a performance when I used to dance tap. I landed a jump on the side of my foot, rolled my ankle slightly and broke the strap of my shoe. Of course though, the show must go on...so I kept dancing. Near the end of the routine, we had a series of kicks to do. No problem. *kick* *kick* *kick* *WHOOSH!* My shoe goes flying off of my foot and hits a woman in the audience! I was absolutely mortified!!!

14. tacad

tacad New Member

So much to express, so little time. :wink:

15. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

A couple of weeks ago at a ballroom class, the instructor taught us two new waltz steps. After practicing first one and then the second, he put on some music for us all to try. As soon as the music started, my dh just stood there -- the moves had already escaped. And I burst out laughing because I couldn't remember either. The laughing was contagious because he started too and neither one of us could stop. Eventually the teacher came over and got us going with the steps. This getting old is sometimes pretty silly.

16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Speed bumps! :car:

17. Quimbly

Quimbly New Member

Yes, sometimes I'm having too much fun learning lessons that the info goes in one ear and out the other. Thank god for repetition! ;)

18. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Yep! Dangerous at any speed.

-------------------------
    True story about real-world in-the-road speed bumps.

One of the continual problems at the University of North Dakota is that many of the students are from very rural parts of the state where, as Garrison Keillor described it, you can stand in the middle of the street for as long as you'd care to and not have to worry about there being any cars. So the kids grow up lacking the common sense to check traffic before crossing the street. So put these young adults in the big town (the nearest city, "the 'Peg", is in another country) and almost inevitably every year one or two would get hit by a car as they meandered mindlessly out into traffic (we actually saw them doing this, many times, though we never saw one get hit).

The city and university would respond to these accidents by lowering the speed limit on University Avenue, which of course did nothing to alleviate the problem. So one Fall the city installed a set of speed bumps, about 6 or 8 short ones right next to each other, at either end of University Avenue as it passes in front of the campus. We hated those speed bumps! It didn't matter how fast or slow you took them, it still rattled the fillings out of your teeth. And we knew that they were worthless, because they weren't the solution to the problem -- the solution would have been to teach those university students what kindergartners in California already know, how to cross a street.

Then winter came and the first snow and the snow plow came through that first time and took those speed bumps right out. As I recall, they didn't replace them.

Our son attended there too. I'll have to ask him whether the students had ever learned how to cross the street.

---------------------------------------------
    Another true story, though this one about dance-floor "speed bumps".

At the end of a hustle workshop, a somewhat beginner woman was having a very experienced male dancer work with her on one of the moves we learned. Right in the middle of that, while he was thinking through something, she suddenly did a turn and he was so taken by surprise that he couldn't react in time. His hand caught her "speed bumps" full on. She didn't seem fazed by it at all, just a little confused maybe, but he just stood there stunned, looking at his offended hand, shaking his head and trying to keep from laughing. We JAFOs were not at all successful in suppressing our own laughter.

19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Once knocked a woman's hairpiece off!

20. Quimbly

Quimbly New Member

:D Wow, that's crazy. Just an arm styling mishap, or did you go to town on some poor old lady? :p