Your most difficult and easiest dances to learn...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by SPratt74, Mar 29, 2006.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I got to thinking about it all the other day when watching the movie, "Shall We Dance". (I love that movie!) Anyways, they kept saying how the Waltz is the hardest dance to learn. Of course they would say that on purpose since that is my first dance that I am learning fully lol! Darn them anyhow lol! So, I got to thinking about my easiest dance, and that's got to be a tie between the Cha Cha and the East and West Coast Swing.

They also had some comments about what their hardest moves were during the shooting of the movie. I think that for me it's getting my knees and posture just right when dancing the Waltz. I also have a hard time on turns still, but I'm getting better! And there are some new moves that I'm being shown everyday and since I've only been dancing a month and a half now, I'm not going to count them just yet. Therefore, I have some questions for you!

1. What was your most difficult dance to learn?
    2. What was your easiest dance to learn?
    3. What was your hardest step to learn?
    4. What was your easiest step to learn?

Have fun!!!! :D

2. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

oy. I could go in sooo many different directions with this one and drive you all crazy.... but I'm sure we all could.

ok, where to start.....

3. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

No, that is what I want! I'm a newbie, so I am taking everything in lol! Please answer away! And if you can think of more stuff, then come back later! ;)

4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

1 Still terrible in Cha cha and tango, I think it's because I don't get on my feet fast enough so it never feels quite... fast enough, balanced
    2. I had easiest time with foxtrot, I was always good at movement and bad at rotation, foxtrot was a lot more linear than other dances
    3. Still struggling with fleckerels (ok so we just had a first lesson on them 3 weeks ago)
    4. Anything very linear that covers ground.. Anything that lets me feel that I'm flying... ;) :rolleyes:

5. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

Hardest? Samba, definitely...still have a long, LONG way to go on that one, as a matter of fact.

Not sure what the easiest would be, I picked them all up pretty quick. But we'll go with ECS just because I know Carolina shag and the basic step's exactly the same, ECS just moves around a bit more.

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

hmmm...most difficult is swing (ecs andwcs) and waltz(ironically also my least favorite and most favorite dances.....

easiest: intl foxtrot and tango...I know that makes no sense whatsoever but its true

hardest step:!@#$^ spin turn
    easiest:hmmm something in intl foxtrot or viennese...but calling anything easy any more would be a stretch...hustle I guess...lol

7. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Most difficult: styling in chacha (or to make it look as it's supposed to) and samba

Easiest: jive, rumba, tango (when I started, I but didn't continue)

hardest step: basic in samba, it took a while to get the fan alemana in cha cha

I also started American Rumba and it isn't that easy to change to International Rumba

8. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

1. International Foxtrot!
    2. Swing
    3. Rope Spin (at least hardest to get *right*)
    4. Mambo basic

9. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

When we just started to compete, we complained to our coach that a dance (I forgot what it was) was more challenging than others. He told us that the most difficult dance would keep changing. Lo, wasn't he right! It does keep changing. Whatever we focus on, it has become the most difficult.

10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I don't know if I can really pick out a "hardest" dance, but the dance that I've had more than 1-2 lessons in, and made the least progress on, is samba. My easiest dance, in a sense, has been WCS. Once I got the basic step drilled into my head, the dance seemed to just come naturally; it's the only dance where I've experienced that.

Got reminded of a hard step (for me) last night: The bronze foxtrot zig-zag. I don't know why, but I always have difficulty leading my partner to step outside on that one. Maybe it has to do with my body rotation, now that I think about it. Hmm...

11. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I will preface my answer by saying that I think difficulty/ease of a dance is hard to quantify because you could be talking about when you are just starting to learn and mastering pure steps (and syllabus) or you could be talking about technique as being studied 6 years after you started dancing (in open) and personally my answers would vary in each context. But here are my answers bearing that in mind:

Most difficult: when I was starting dancing, the most difficult dances for me to get the correct feeling of were samba and tango. Samba, I think is widely acknowledged to be the hardest latin dance. Tango is just not my dance - I think even now I'm not quite sure my tango is entirely correct. I think I'm too tall and long-legged for tango:)

Easiest: cha cha and rhumba were always pretty easy. Salsa came naturally to me and I got good at it very quickly. Same with WCS. As for standard dances, in syllabus, waltz and quickstep were fairly easy. Quickstep is still easy in open, waltz less so. I think I'm with Kat on the fact that turning dances are harder for me than linear ones so right now foxtrot definitely feels the best...

Hardest step: I think pivots are pretty hard to do really well. Fleckerels are challenging as well. The spin turn I think is the hardest step in all of dancing; so much is involved, so much to think about. It's still amazing to me that it's a bronze step but that fact also tells me that it is done on purpose - they want you to be learning it for as long as possible because it's so hard!

Easiest step: well, I find all steps are challenging and to do them well take s a LOT of work. Steps that came easier than others: open natural in waltz; three fallaways in foxtrot, which I started doing in a routine quite recently already feel pretty good; various developes (LOVE those!); and scatter chassees in qstep.

Favorite step: there is nothing better in dancing than a great-feeling feather step!

12. HCMikeC

HCMikeC New Member

I would say the easiest for me to learn was swing. I had done a little bit in high school and I felt as the though the basic movement was easy for me to make look halfway decent. The toughest dance to learn for me (might be my favorite dance now, though) was and still is continuous American Fox Trot. I have made good progress but it tends to be the dance I work on most frequently in lessons.

13. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Hardest dance for me has been WCS--trying to get that smooth, sexy look--

Easiest ----polka---I guess the non-smooth, non-sexy look suits me!!!

14. redhead

redhead New Member

1. samba
    2. salsa
    3. crusado walks (not was - is). Just can't get it right (although my mind knows what to do... my body just won't do it)
    4. some dip? I dunno

15. chica latina

chica latina New Member

1. What was your most difficult dance to learn?

Mambo. The basic was easy but the rest......Making it look grounded, be energetic but at the same time calm. Clear timing and body rhythms. Don't want to be doing salsa to it, but at the same time don't want my body to feel like it has STOPS!

2. What was your easiest dance to learn?
    In the beginning was the most difficult one to get the basic feeling/looking good-- Swing; but after understanding it more it's the easiest.

3. What was your hardest step to learn?
    Pivots, Natural top

4. What was your easiest step to learn? ????

16. Fretful_Porpentine

Fretful_Porpentine New Member

Easiest Dance: American tango, American cha-cha
    Hardest Dance: Int'l cha-cha (@$*& straight legs!), American foxtrot (I don't know why, but I really stink at this dance.)
    Easiest step: I dunno....basic something?
    Hardest step: I can't remember what it's called or how it goes, but it's in Argentine tango and I ended up kicking my poor instructor like a zillion times. So I guess it was harder on him than it was on me.....

17. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

Hardest Dance: Lindy Hop. Other swings, I get fine, and I seem to have a proclivity for lindy from how I've improved since starting, but wow! So much to think of, the connection, musicality, improv, it's just sooo much.

Easiest Dance: Well, there's a tough question - more like which is the least difficult! I guess I'd go with Amer. Rumba, always been an easy(-ish) dance for me.

Hardest Step: The hardest for me to look comfortable with and smooth is the toe heel swivels. I got the concept quickly, and can do them fast, but they just don't look quite right yet. Ehh, still working on that.

Easiest Step: Walking? Unless it's argentine tango, then maybe it's easier to do the toe heel swivels.

18. newdancer113

newdancer113 New Member

After about 6 months of lessons, I still struggle with anything fast. Intially cha cha was the hardest for me (at first it was just a struggle to do the basic fast enough, plus it made my hips hurt) Now I've added Samba which is now my hardest. I struggle to make it though a full song, and it makes my knees hurt (plus the hip soreness the next day)

Smooth dances, like tango and waltz were, and still are, easiest to me. Plus there hasn't been any pain associated with them yet.

19. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

1. Jive, I can never get those legs to work the way them should.....
    2. Quickstep, somehow, my teacher gave me this impression that I am naturally better at quickstep. I don't know the exact reason though.
    3. Fishtail......I just never get it. Eventually, I learn to fake it, but still
    4. steps that require more upper body movement/rotation than lower body.

20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

1. Int. Foxtrot and Samba are quite challenging
    2. Hustle followed by West Coast Swing
    3. Natural spin turn and pivot turn
    4. Merengue basic